PDA

View Full Version : Should I or shouldn't I ???

WildmanJack
04-18-2011, 07:36 PM
Hey folks, I have a Savage 112 stainless heavy fluted barrel in .30-06. Been using it on the bench as it has a very heavy laminated stock and I'm really enjoying shooting it off the bench. Now my question is. I have been seriously thinking of having the barrel bedded, My groups at 100 yds are 1" but when I get to 200 yds, they open up to about 2". I really want to shoot better than that. Now does anyone think that bedding the action will help shrink my groups? I'e never done one and don't know if it's something that I should even attempt or not..
Thanks for all the help in the past.. This site always amazes me with the amount of knowledge...
Jack
:lovebooli

Kraschenbirn
04-18-2011, 10:34 PM
Uhmmm...those groups (1" @ 100 and 2" @ 200) are both around 1 MOA; i.e. approx the same degree of dispersion at both ranges and pretty decent for an "out-of-the-box" production rifle. I'm not familiar with that particular Savage rifle but from your description, I imagine the barrel is already free-floated and wouldn't be surprised if the action (or, at least, the recoil lug) is bedded in some manner. In the case that your barrel isn't already floated and/or the action solidly bedded, doing either or both might help shrink your groups even further. On the other hand, though, further fine-tuning of your loads could possibly accomplish the same end without any mechanical "tinkering."

Just my nickel's worth.

Bill