PDA

View Full Version : 455 Colt/Eley

dangt
04-18-2011, 07:20 PM
Thirty three years ago I modified some 45 Colt cases for loading 455 Colt/Eley to shoot in an S&W 455 second model. I did not have a lathe then so had a local gunsmith thin the rims to .039-.040” and I shortened the case length. My reloading log book was not thoroughly descriptive at that time and I do not remember why I chose .915” for the overall case length. This is at least .025-.029” longer than specs for the 455 Mk I. This case length does work with Lee 454252 and Lyman 454424 cast bullets in the gun I have. That is, rounds loaded with these two bullets in this overly long case chamber easily. Can anyone think of a reason to NOT just continue using these cases as is and shorten to accepted case length specs I now find (.886” to .889”)?

The revolver I now have is a different S&W 455 Second Model and I have no immediate plans to pick up another. If I did, of course, the question might not be asked if I found difficult chambering. It was not a problem 30+ years ago and I am just now starting to reload this caliber again with a new old gun.

In 1978, I used the 45 Colt cases I had on hand, some Remington Peters and some Winchester Western. Only the R-P cases were successfully modified. The W-W cases proved to have overly thick brass and when expanded to accept even .454” bullets would not chamber. The R-P cases worked out well with .457” bullets.

I think my own answer to the above question is to just use the cases as is until there is a problem. Any different comment?

Dan Taylor

45 2.1
04-19-2011, 08:43 AM
Thirty three years ago I modified some 45 Colt cases for loading 455 Colt/Eley to shoot in an S&W 455 second model. I did not have a lathe then so had a local gunsmith thin the rims to .039-.040” and I shortened the case length. My reloading log book was not thoroughly descriptive at that time and I do not remember why I chose .915” for the overall case length. This is at least .025-.029” longer than specs for the 455 Mk I. This case length does work with Lee 454252 and Lyman 454424 cast bullets in the gun I have. That is, rounds loaded with these two bullets in this overly long case chamber easily. Can anyone think of a reason to NOT just continue using these cases as is and shorten to accepted case length specs I now find (.886” to .889”)?

The revolver I now have is a different S&W 455 Second Model and I have no immediate plans to pick up another. If I did, of course, the question might not be asked if I found difficult chambering. It was not a problem 30+ years ago and I am just now starting to reload this caliber again with a new old gun.

In 1978, I used the 45 Colt cases I had on hand, some Remington Peters and some Winchester Western. Only the R-P cases were successfully modified. The W-W cases proved to have overly thick brass and when expanded to accept even .454” bullets would not chamber. The R-P cases worked out well with .457” bullets.

I think my own answer to the above question is to just use the cases as is until there is a problem. Any different comment?

Dan Taylor

No problem.... most of the Colt/Eley guns will accept longer cases than the Mk1 case spec. I shoot longer cases myself in them.