PDA

View Full Version : Percussion Sharps

JRParrish
12-12-2006, 11:52 PM
I need a mold for a Farmingdale Shiloh Sharps in .54 percussion. Rifle seems well made. Any suggestions to get accurate loads?
Thank you,
JRParrish

shooter575
12-13-2006, 12:57 AM
Go post on this BB. http://www.n-ssa.net/phpbb/
Got to be 400-500 guys shooting papercutter Sharps there.I sold my Shiloh and mould so I cant help ya.Most guys shoot the Ringtail [christmas tree] bullet.Some also use a modfied maxie ball mould also.Lots of other info on making cartridges.Fella I sold mine to is making pre made rolled papertubes for sale.He has a thread on the for sale board.

NickSS
12-14-2006, 04:36 AM
I shoot a Rapine Sharps ringtail boolit in mine. The secret to shooting a paper cartridge sharps well is all in the cartridge. There are two kinds you can make one has a tail that is cut off by the breach block when it is closed. These shoot poorly and the army tests of 1858 proved over 150 years ago. The ones that shoot are ones that fit the chamber and have not tail to cut off. You make them by rolling a treated paper tube around a forming stick. In my rifle the tube length is 1-3/8" long. I make two turns around the stick and clue the seam. Let the glue dry and you make more tubes. It is teadious but I do it while watching TV. Then I take a square to tissue paper and put it over a dowel stick and push it into the case. I run a little glue with a brush on the inside of the end of the case and push the tissue until it is flush with the end of the tube. A little squeeze around the end gets the tissue glued in place. When it is dry I put a charge of powder in and then put an unlubed bullet base first into the end. I rund a glue stick around the base ring of the boolit before inserting it. Insert the bullet with a twisting motion and you are done except for lubing the bullet. All I do is dunk the bullet nose first into melted lube usually two dips. The set it aside to dry. You need to play with loads until you find an accurate one. When inserted in the chamber, Make sure the overall cartridge lets the forward part of the bullet touch the rifling and the rear should be flush with the back of the chamber and not be cut when you close the rifle. This will produce the most accuracy from my experience.