PDA

View Full Version : Does beagling affect accuracy?

prickett
04-17-2011, 07:10 PM
I beagled my mold and cast 100. I went to the range where I found my accuracy wasn't that good. I got to wondering, could be due to the out of round boolits?

btroj
04-17-2011, 07:16 PM
If it had a large adverse affect on accuracy people here would have long ago ceased suggesting it.
I have done it and found no real problems. I prefer large enough out of round slugs, which become rounder when sized, over those that are undersized and lead.

swheeler
04-17-2011, 07:22 PM
Does beagling affect accuracy?

Why yes it does, it improves it over shooting an undersized bullet, which is why you Beagle to begin with.

Tammany42
04-17-2011, 07:23 PM
I'm new, I gather that beagling is done with tape to make the diameter larher?

04-17-2011, 08:29 PM
Prickett,
The boolits may drop out-of-round, but things like sizer dies, cylinder throats, forcing cones and barrels will soon correct it. Beagling is not the cause of your inaccuracy...look elsewhere.

Tammany42,
Yes, aluminum foil tape available from your local hardware store. There's a sticky.

fecmech
04-17-2011, 10:00 PM
Out of round is not necessarily out of balance. Think of a 2 bladed aircraft propeller, you can't get much more out of round than that yet it is not out of balance!

felix
04-17-2011, 10:44 PM
The one big advantage of the multi land/groove barrel over one with the same land height but fewer lands/grooves is the former having the capability of centering the boolit more concentrically with the center line. Also, a barrel with an odd number of lands/grooves has a better chance of maintaining that advantage, mostly due to less distortion of the boolit after the boolit is made round by sizing. However, a two land/goove barrel has an equal chance of the same accuracy when the lands mash the fat sides of the boolit 100 percent, or when the fat sides are not mashed at all, indicating the fat sides are squarely within the grooves. ... felix

GSP7
04-18-2011, 01:01 AM
I'm new, I gather that beagling is done with tape to make the diameter larher?

Id like to know exactly how beagling is done also. Where is the "sticky"? looked around , cant find it. Can ya post a link...

StanDahl
04-18-2011, 12:36 PM
How far out of round are your bullets? Mine on a 314299 are about 0.002, but that's not even unusual in some ways, because it seems like nearly all of my moulds are out of round to some degree. You may just need to work up a new load for these bullets. They will be slightly heavier and have slightly different specs.

You can find info on Beagling here (although the link didn't work when I looked it up - maybe a temporary issue?)

http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/HowTo/default.html

nanuk
04-18-2011, 12:49 PM
there is an article on Castpics, but I am unable to access it....

it is in the "How to" articles.... just look around for modifying moulds or enlarging boolits. or just beagling...

perhaps you can access it

Just found this: Beagling (http://hgmould.gunloads.com/casting/bulletdiameterenlargement.htm)

pdawg_shooter
04-18-2011, 03:43 PM
Just wondering how you got out of rounds bullets out of the barrel? Is it out of round? Any cast bullet shoved down a barrel with thousands of pounds of pressure behind it will exit just as round as the barrel is.