PDA

View Full Version : 32 Special short brass

jtaylor1960
04-17-2011, 05:50 PM
I was loading some 32spl. ammo today with some Ranch Dog bullets I cast.After seating the bullets I started to crimp them.I always do that as a seperate operation when roll crimping.I kept adjustng the die but something just didn't feel right.I wasn't getting any crimp but I was out of adjustment on my die.It was down to the shellholder.Apparently when I trimmed the brass a little shorter to keep the bullets from jamming into the rifiling too hard I went too far and now I'm stuck.I trimmed them to 1.97".I don't have a Lee FCD or this wouldn't be a big deal.Any thoughts?

BABore
04-18-2011, 12:16 PM
Remove the decapping pin from your sizing die and try running a loaded round in gently. It may roll the case mouth into the crimp groove just enough.

jtaylor1960
04-18-2011, 06:01 PM
Thats a idea.I thought I might file down the top of the shellholder to allow the case to go deeper into the die.I only trimmed the brass about .004".With the brass at that length the cartridges chamber perfectly.Before it was too hard to close the lever.

FromTheWoods
04-19-2011, 10:45 PM
How many cases are too short? Maybe just replace them instead of monkeying with your shell-holder and dies?

File a bit off the base of your seating die? That might be easier than trying to shorten the shell-holder.

Jon K
04-20-2011, 11:44 AM
Trim the bottom of the seating die and to fit.

Jon

scrapcan
04-20-2011, 12:33 PM
have you tried them without the crimp? you may not need a crimp as case tension maybe enough to hold the bullet firm.

jtaylor1960
04-20-2011, 05:41 PM
All of the cases are short as I trimmed them and have not fired them again.I need the length I have to help with chambering.I am shooting them in a lever action and I probably will need to crimp them.I should just order a FCD from Lee and get it over with.I think the best fix would be to shorten the die or shell holder.

jtaylor1960
04-24-2011, 06:59 PM
I tried your idea BaBore with the sizing die and it just might be good enough.It looks like I used a FCD on them but I'm not sure if the edge is in the groove far enough.I will shoot this box as is to see how it works.Thanks for the input everyone.