PDA

View Full Version : Making 30:1 boolits

Prairie_Wolf
04-17-2011, 04:43 PM
Howdy Pards,

I'm new to the forum. I'm wanting to start casting my own boolits but have a Q first.

Just FYI, I've been casting for awhile, using bird shot in my smelter, and the boolits turn out fine.

I've come across an offer I cant refuse on a pallet of 99.9% pure lead ingots. The Q I have is whats the ratio of tin to lead I need to use to make 30:1 boolits.

I have a 20 pounds capacity lead melting pot I'll be using.

Also if anyone can point me to a larger melting pot I'd appreciate it, as the ingots are approximately 50 pounds and they look to be a pain in the derrier to cut.:lol:

Thanks in advance

Prairie Wolf

Red River Rick
04-17-2011, 04:47 PM
Prairie Wolf:

Welcome to the site.

I think you've answered your own question, 30:1 mix is simply 30 parts lead to one part tin.
Or, 15 lbs of Pb to 1/2" lb of tin.

RRR

fecmech
04-17-2011, 05:33 PM
You can cut the ingots with a skill saw or table saw with a coarse carbide tipped blade. I'm talking the type of blade that comes on the cheap table saws or just a regular framing blade for a skill saw. If you use a table saw set it on a tarp to catch the lead "sawdust" and use a face shield as the lead chips unlike sawdust can really sting. They will cut easily.

Ohio Rusty
04-17-2011, 06:24 PM
30 lbs of pure to 1 lb of tin (16 oz)
15 lbs of pure to 1/2 lb of tin (8 oz)
7.5 lbs of pure to 1/4 pound tin (4 oz)
3 3/4 of pure to 1/8 pound of tin (2 oz)

You can make a small batch of the mix and make a few boolits for testing. If you are loking for expansion with a softer alloy, someone also just had a recent post about 40 to 1 and his boolits expanded well also.

My plans are to try different alloys and shoot them into both wet pack and water to see what one I like based on performance. My current alloy is 50/50 WW's/pure lead as a hunting alloy out of my contender. I'm looking forward to trying the pure lead/tin alloy in my snub nose 38 and see how it does. I never knew such great boolit alloys existed until the other listmembers here posted and shared their findings. I'm excited to try them also !!
Ohio Rusty ><>

Prairie_Wolf
04-18-2011, 02:15 PM
Never thought it was that easy :groner:. Thanks Pards!