PDA

View Full Version : Pin gauges

mustanggt
04-17-2011, 11:08 AM
Anyone know where I could get some pin gauges so I may accurately measure my cylinders on my revolvers?

Marvin S
04-17-2011, 11:15 AM
These could be had from places like ENCO, MSC/JL. I find it better to buy something like Starett small hole gauges (The Ball end type) and a decent 0-1 outside Mic to measure any small hole. This way you can measure any out of round holes also, takes a lot less room to.

2 dogs
04-17-2011, 11:42 AM
Sometimes you can find them on Ebay at really good prices. Some might be missing a guage or two, but you dont need every one!

Firebricker
04-17-2011, 12:22 PM
I think there's a thread in the classics and sticky section with links and sources to buy them. FB

mustanggt
04-17-2011, 02:09 PM
Thanks guys!!!

GSaltzman
04-17-2011, 09:42 PM
Ordered mine at Grizzly industries online. Best price I found.

MtGun44
04-18-2011, 02:32 AM
Enco tools. Get the minus set.

Bill

dragonrider
04-18-2011, 09:43 AM
Got mine from Grizzly also, very handy.

GLL
04-19-2011, 11:48 PM
Take a look at on-line industrial auctions. I picked up this nice Meyer "minus" set for under $25 because someone had spilled marking dye on a couple of the pins. It washed right off with acetone !

If you only need a few, Meyer sells individual replacement pin gauges.

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/6B38557F6AEEE8D/standard.jpg

W.R.Buchanan
04-20-2011, 12:18 AM
I have pin gauges, and telescoping gauges. I have had Starrett ball type gauges also.

I have found the telescoping gauges to be the most accurate.

To use these correctly you put the tool into the hole diagonally, then you tighten the pinch screw. Then you rock the tool thru vertical and remove it from the hole. This gives you an exact diameter of the hole as the tool was already tigfhtened when you pulled it. if you try to tighten the pinch while holding the tool horizontal you will always come up below the actual hole size.

The Starrett hole gauges will preload the tool against the hole but it doesn't lock and when you remove the tool from the hole the ears expand depending on how much preload you have given.

I have pin gages also but only use them below .250" These tools are simply round feeler gages. You have to learn to "feel the hole" with these and if there are any small burrs in the hole you will get false readings.

I have used all of these tools for the last 30 years and they all require a small amount of skill and finese to operate effectively. The main thing you must learn is to not just take one measurement and call it good. You need to take several measurements on the same hole and get the readings to repeat several times before you can be sure you got it right.

I have ruined many a part by trying to rely on one reading only to find out I miss read and took too much out of a hole. You can't put it back. Learn from my mistakes. You need to practice first and be cautious about how you interpret measurements, phoney readings are the major cause of lost parts in a machine shop.

Point here is : you need to learn how to use your tools right. I have seen men with 30 years exp who did not have a clue how to use any of the three tools from above. It amazes me how they ever made a living, and they called me everything but a whiteman when I tried to show them the correct usuage of the tools. You can't fix stupid!.

The Meyer Minus pins are the ones to get. They are the best and $25 for a .251-.500 was a screamin deal. You don't want the "plus" pins as you always read one size below the hole size you are going for. If you are going for .251 you have to use a .250 pin which is actually .2502 and leaves .0008 to get to .251. This is harder to read closely than a pin which .0002 below marked size. Minus pins are .0002 below the marked size and if the hole is dead on they will just barely fit into the hole. You can see the difference.

If you really want to get stupid about it there are Deltronic gauge pins which come in increments of .0001. they cost alot more.

Also you need a good quality Micrometer to read your telescoping gages and check your gauge pins. Also you can use the Gauge pins to check the mic's calibration. Calipers don't work for this, they are just not accurate enough.

Randy