PDA

View Full Version : Powder wieght variation on a dillon 650

bslim
04-17-2011, 10:30 AM
I am loading 45 LC ammo on my Dillon XL 650. My favorite load is 5.0 grns. of Red Dot with a 200 grn. rnfp cast bullet. This combination runs around 720 ft/sec and serves my purposes just fine for CAS. I do find a variation from 4.8 to 5.8 grns on odd ocasions. I have tried keeping the powder measure at least 3/4 full at all times with no garanteed sucess. I can load 40 rounds with a consistant 5.0 - 5.1 grns and the next one will be 5.8 grns. I have 2 Dillon 650's and both do the same. I'm thinking I'm doing the same wrong thing in both presses?? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Rocky Raab
04-17-2011, 10:59 AM
There's a reason Dillon rather strongly suggests using spherical powders in their measures for progressive presses.

May I suggest Ramshot Zip or Accurate #2? Both are full spherical, not flattened like W231.

btroj
04-17-2011, 11:30 AM
You can either change to a spherical powder like Rocky said or do what I do, don't Worry about it. If the ammo is working well and the accuracy meets your needs then why worry about it?
Just because you can measure it doesn't mean it is important to measure it.

Doc Highwall
04-17-2011, 11:57 AM
The only thing I can add is you have to move the handle at the same speed all the time. I found that some times I started out slow and found my self speeding up after I got into a rhythm, I use slow and steady now reminding myself that a loaded round comes out with every stroke and no pinched fingers putting a bullet on station four.

bobthenailer
04-17-2011, 12:50 PM
IMO powder type is the culpret ! as i dont have any problems with the powders i use and my accuracy standards are probley alot higher than most shooters

bslim
04-17-2011, 07:18 PM
I have around 20# of Red Dot, so I'll try to slow down on my cycle speed first, to see if this solves my problem. If not I'll use the Red dot in my wife's 38's and switch to a ball powder for my 45's.

DukeInFlorida
04-17-2011, 08:24 PM
I use red dot, blue dot, and a whole bunch of other flake and flat type powders in my Dillon 550, and can always hit better than .1 grain accuracy.

When you fill the dispenser container, tap the sides of it for about five minutes (finger taps)... That will settle the powder so that it's as dense as it can get. That's a step that most miss when dispensing powder. From there, you should find that accuracy is wonderful.

bslim
04-18-2011, 06:11 PM
I loaded 100 rounds today. But, before I started, I filled the Powder dispenser container and tapped the sides until the powder, I thought was settled. I'm not sure it was for 5 minutes but at least 3 minutes. On every cycle of the 650, I pulled the case and weighted the powder on my digital scale.
The results were:
3 - 52 grns
23 - 51 grns
68 - 50 grns
6 - 49 grns
I had originally set my powder dump for 5.0 grns. I like the results!
I learn something new every day. Thanks for the tip DukeInMaine, and thanks to all who replied.

Love Life
04-18-2011, 07:02 PM
Put a Lee auto disk on there. Problem solved.

Shiloh
04-18-2011, 08:15 PM
I use the 550.

I tap the reservoir with a pencil or dowel stick for a while, then run off about a dozen charges and dump them back in. When running with a case in each station, and levering the same every time and tempo, the charges are remarkably consistent.

Spherical is the best, but I have had very stable results with Bullseye, and Unique as well.

Shiloh

firebrick43
05-19-2011, 01:07 AM
Are you sure of your scale? Just asking because just the other day I saw a cabelas electric scale acting goofy at a buddies house?

Do you have the powder measure adjusted correctly? Ie the white square is moving the entire range? Return rod compressing the spring?

Lee auto disk is no better or worse than a dillon, in fact dillon pays royalties to lee. I have both and use both on my 650 and do like the dillon slightly better for minor reasons but both will maintain .1 of a grain. I can see any variation more than a .1 on my powder check die.