PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions cartridges for swedish rolling block

Frank46
04-16-2011, 11:20 PM
OK here it goes. Have one of the swedish rolling blocks that was reworked and reheatreated for the swedish rolling block cartridge which I believe is an 8mm cartridge based on roughly the 45-90 case and reworked . The action Has marking that leads me to believe it was reworked in 1892 still some case colors on receiver, buttstock finnish is starting to crack and craze and the forend which has been cutdown after these rifles no longer fullfilled a military role. I have two favorites either 44 special or 45 long colt. Truth be told I already have the brass and dies for the 44 special. BBl length would be about 24" maximun I figure that in the 24" bbl I could gain about 200 feet per second in a rifle bbl versus pistol bbl. Not exactly looking to set and speed records here. So if any of you have any per cartridges voice your opinions here. Thanks Frank

John Traveler
04-17-2011, 12:48 AM
Either the .44 Special or the .45 Colt is a good choice in the Remington Rolling Block. It will make a nifty, light-weight carbine in those calibers. The old wild west .44-40 caliber in the RRB was a popular carbine and a desireable collector's item today. Your choice of caliber may favor the sidearm you carrry the most.

The only problem you might encounter is that the original bar extractor is designed for the 12.7mm Swede (.50 cal) and the 8mm Swede. Both cartridges have larger diameter rims than the pistol sized .44 Special and .45 Colt. The extractor tip may need some welding to make it grab the pistol cartridge rims.

John Taylor
04-17-2011, 11:36 AM
Most of the rifle barrels in these calibers run a 1 in 36" twist while the pistol barrels are around 1 in 18". It is believed the higher velocity will get the bullets spinning faster to stabilize them. This slow twist probably will not be good with a larger bullet than the standard pistol factory loads. The slower twist should be great for black powder loads. http://www.mcgowenbarrel.com/catalog1.htm has 1 in 24" twist barrels in both calibers that in my opinion would be better for the larger bullets. I have one of these in stock, have not checked the rate of twist http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/productdetail.aspx?id=44Gatling , price is very good.

Larry Gibson
04-17-2011, 12:54 PM
Concur with the .44 special and the 24" twist....should be sweet!

Larry Gibson

Idaho Sharpshooter
04-17-2011, 01:45 PM
Great Minds did think alike back then! A tremendous number of those 1880-1900 rounds have a rim size very similar to the 50-110 Win. Maybe something on that case...

Rich

L Ross
04-17-2011, 11:38 PM
Gosh, most of those 8x58 Remington-Danish Swede Rollers I've seen and have shot have excellent bores. It is a great cast boolit gun just as it is. You can plink with it or use that heavy 8 m/m Karabiner flat nose boolit to hunt up to Elk and Moose with. A friend's shoots great with standard .323" boolits I have better luck sized to .325" I'd leave it as is, get some brass from Buffalo Arms, have Lee make you a collet sizing die set for it and enjoy a great old rifle.

Duke

Frank46
04-17-2011, 11:52 PM
Thanks to all whom that took the time to respond to my question. 44 special will be what I'm shooting for. Probably with a 24" long bbl. Just want something different to take to the range and punch paper. Think there is an old saying "the more complicated one's life is the need for something less stressful like playing" or something like that. Frank