PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions on load data

grubbylabs
04-16-2011, 09:31 PM
Thanks to a very generous member here I have a 100 265 RD GC boolits. I finally got around to getting some gas checks for them so I was going to work up some loads.

I am Loading a M94 AE .444

And 329PD .44 mag. 4" barrel

I have IMR 4198 and Win 296 and magnum primers. any suggestions would be great. C.O.L. Powder range and what not, all Ideas and input welcome.

Thanks
Grubbylabs

Char-Gar
04-17-2011, 03:44 PM
grubby.. You will be flooded with folks willing to tell you what powder and how much to use.

NEVER take your loading data from a web site! Always go to a good reliable loading handbook who has pressure tested their data. Any data received here should be checked against such a reliable source. But you don't need to get data here if you go direct to the reliable source. Your are responsibility for your own safety. You should not expect others to watch out for you, they might not do a good job of that.

This will irritate some folks, but that is just the way of it. I have seen powder charges handed out on this and other boards that are at the least foolish and some outright dangerous.

grubbylabs
04-17-2011, 04:32 PM
Well then you tell me where the reliable data is for custom molds that are not listed in a manual.

I Have the newest cast book and their are no loads listed for a Ranch Dog mold.

One can look at data given on the internet and compare it to what is published for similar bullets and use caution. Last I checked Cast boolits don't always use the same COL and charge as factory jacketed bullets.

but thanks for your concern and advise.

btroj
04-17-2011, 04:32 PM
I agree entirely with Chargar. Always use a reliable source. I will go to the powder manufacturers site and get data as they are reliable sources. I don't take data, especially max load data, from anything but a known, reliable source.
Get a Lyman manual. It will give you a good start in loading almost any cartridge you could want.
You only live once.

Char-Gar
04-17-2011, 05:27 PM
Grubby.. The difference between a Ranch Dog mold of a given weight and diameter and that of another make won't be enough to make change on. A given design may or may not give better accuracy in a given rifle, but starting load data will interchange. Load development for cast bullets is the same (in principal at least) as for condom bullets..i.e...start low and work up until you find the sweet spots that gives you the accuracy and powder you want.

It is a bad idea to become dependent on web sites to do you thinking and load development for you, for all the reasons listed above.

I know you don't like this answer, but I am not trying to be a jerk. I am just trying to be a person who cares about your welfare. This is not always the case of folks who throw data at you on web sites. Take it for what it is worth.

btroj
04-17-2011, 05:43 PM
I don't even take load data from other shooters in my area unless I have a good feel for their loading style. Too many people are willing to live on the ragged edge. I don't like to do that.

Taking data form a site with no validation of the info is scary. Billy bob can post that he loads his 329 super mag with 200 gr of Bullseye and you take it at face value? Not me. He might not even own said gun.

I too use load manuals as a start point for bullets not listed. Look at OAL, bullet design, etc and you get a feel for what is a reasonable load. I don't go with max loads with bullets without good, established data either. Why risk things.

YOU are responsible for your safety. I take mine very seriously and load accordingly.

grubbylabs
04-17-2011, 08:26 PM
I understand what you all are saying, however I have had a near bad experience with assuming that minimum charge and listed COL would work just fine.

I cast a 240 grain SWC from a Lee mold. This mold is not listed in the Lyman 4th edition cast book but they list an RCBS mold that is a 240 grain
SWC. Well when I started with the minimum 10 grain charge of Unique, the brass bulged real bad and to say it was difficult to extract is an understatement.

So I am leery of assuming that data will interchange between boolits even when they are similar in design.

I ask here since so many people like that RD mold. What I do when given load data, is compare it to other data in the various books that I have to see if it looks within reason before I assume it is safe. I don't just blindly produce loads because someone on a forum said it was safe.

EDK
04-17-2011, 09:18 PM
Not to stress the obvious, but what does RANCH DOG recommend on HIS web site? He designed the boolit and then he tested it with some pretty sophisticated equipment. I would, however, start low on his loads because he is definitely going for high performance! (I use this boolit and its plain base lube groove NOE clone in my 44 VAQUEROS and Cowboy rifles.)

PS send me a pm if you can use a two cavity version of this boolit...I also have a six banger that I am keeping.

grubbylabs
04-17-2011, 09:29 PM
I did visit his site and found that his info was pretty useful. He uses a max close to 45 grains so I started at 40 grains and did 5 each at 40,41,42,43,44. I will see which ones perform best and go from there. I am mainly looking to see if any one has any pearls of wisdom for this boolit that could get me close to a good load with my powder without having to spend a bunch of powder. If there load seems to make sense then I would work up to it using smaller increments the closer I got to it just to make sure I don't pass the sweet spot for my rifle.

Char-Gar
04-18-2011, 12:57 PM
Grubby... Are you talking 44 Magnum with that 240/10/Unique load and if so are you talking rifle or pistol and what brand.

10/Unique with any decent 240 - 260 grain cast bullet should not produce any pressure problems in the 44 Magnum.

EDK
04-18-2011, 10:12 PM
I mis-read the original post and thought he was using this boolit in a 44 Magnum rifle AND pistol, so I went into "panic mode" at the thought of 40+ grains of ANYTHING in a 44 magnum....probably impossible with any powder I have used! Since we had talked last night and I had his phone number, I just left him a voice mail to check data. Sorry about the false alarm.

The rifle is a 444 cartridge and the pistol is a S&W 329 PD in 44 magnum. The light weight S&W was more fun than I want with full power loads when I tried my brother's...and then Rich conned me into trying his 500 S&W...too big; too heavy; and still kicks too d*** hard for me!

:redneck::cbpour::Fire:

grubbylabs
04-18-2011, 10:48 PM
The 44 mag is for a 329 PD which is for an air weight pistol. I don't know why but when I follow the data from the Lyman 4th edition and load 10 grains of Unique it bulges the brass and becomes all but impossible to eject the brass. Hornady list a LSW at somewhere around 5-7 grains of unique and that works great in that pistol and is fun to shoot.

That discrepancy is why I am seeking any pearls of wisdom any might offer. I did not want the same type of problem with loading 296. I wanted to make sure that I was going to be able to keep my hands and other parts along with a 1000.00 dollar gun intact.

Char-Gar
04-19-2011, 11:27 AM
Hard extraction in a 44 Magnum sixgun using a 240 cast and 10/Unique tells me the problem is with the revolver and not the load. This load is well below factory ammo pressure.

If sixgun chamber that is out of round, has an egg in it, or tool marks can cause hard extraction.I

If your sixgun gives hard extraction with 10/unique, what must it do with factory ammo or full snort handloads?

grubbylabs
04-19-2011, 11:37 AM
My full house magnum loads both factory and others eject just fine.

Char-Gar
04-19-2011, 11:51 AM
Grubby.. Then you need to check your scales or powder measure as 10/Unique is far below factory pressure. The only explanation is you had more than 10/Unique in there, or got your powders mixed up.

10/Unique is a moderate load for the 44 Mag, producing 1,100 (+- 50 fps depending on bbl length) fps. We use this load allot in our older Model 29s as it don't batter the pistols like the hotter stuff does. We also use 250-260 grain cast bullets.

grubbylabs
04-19-2011, 02:45 PM
I think It has to do with seating depth more than any thing else.

Char-Gar
04-19-2011, 05:58 PM
With a 240 grain bullet, as long as the shoulder of the bullet is out of the case, you will be OK.

JFE
04-19-2011, 08:16 PM
On your 44 mag loads, W296 is a great powder for full power loads but can behave erratically if under loaded. Use a mag primer, tight bullet fit, firm crimp and sensible load and you wont have ignition problems.

Having said that it is one of the most accurate powders for magnum pistol loads and it still provides about the highest velocities too. It will be quite lively and produce quite a bit of muzzle flash in your light revolver.

A good source of data is available on http://hodgdon.com

They list loads for IMR, Hodgdon and Winchester powders.

FWIW W296 is the same as H-110.

grubbylabs
04-22-2011, 08:29 PM
Well thanks to EDK I now have a great mold that casts this boolit:bigsmyl2:. It seems like the lube groves are a little more defined on the mold than the one that cast the boolits I got. I just tumbled them so I will size and seat the gas check a little later.