PDA

View Full Version : Dillon Super 1050 - A good Deal?

Roundnoser
04-16-2011, 08:53 PM
I just purchased a mint condition Super 1050 on Flea-bay (all set up for 45 Auto). It had just listed. The owner said it was less than six months old with only 500 rounds loaded on it. It was a Buy It Now for $1,275 with free shipping. Of the two options available, it has the bullet tray, but not the powder check assembly.

I'm not used to spending that kind of money without thinking it over for awhile, but I was afraid that someone else would grab it up. -- I'm actually still buzzing about it. Not sure if I have buyers remorse, or just really excited!

So, what do you think...Great deal, good deal, OK deal, or bad deal? Its kinda moot. Guess I'm just trying to justify the expenditure. Thanks.

btroj
04-16-2011, 09:31 PM
Way more than I would ever spend. Then again, I am very happy with my 550.
In the end it only matters if you are satisfied. If you fell you got a good deal then I say "Congrats"!

frankenfab
04-16-2011, 09:50 PM
I am susceptible to impulse buys on firearms and related items myself. Sounds to me like you got a deal. I bet you can make your money back if you regret it.

L1A1Rocker
04-16-2011, 11:30 PM
With the no BS warrenty that Dillon gives (and stands behind) a used press is just as good as a new press. While that is way out of my price range, I'd say you got a good deal on it.

happy7
04-16-2011, 11:35 PM
Although the 1050 is not covered by that warrenty.

Sounds like a great deal. Congradulations!

jmorris
04-17-2011, 09:37 AM
The 1050 does not have the lifetime no BS warrenty but Dillon has sent parts to me after the 1 year mark without charge. I think they run around $300 more new than what you paid. I use 650's for pistol but the 1050 is the ticket for crimped primer pocket reloading.

cajun shooter
04-17-2011, 10:18 AM
If you are intending to load and sell ammunition in your area then that is what the machine was built for. A shooting range selling ammo, a police dept and so on. For the stand alone shooter it is way too much press. The loading of one caliber is super fast. I shoot three matches of SASS a month. Each one requires 50 rounds of revolver, 50 of rifle, and 25 of shotgun. It takes less than a hour to load my ammo needed for a month on my 550B which is also easier to change out to other calibers and also easier to repair than the other Dillons. If it pleases you and you have the funds then go for it although it might gather some dust.

Firebricker
04-17-2011, 12:19 PM
I think you did pretty good on it. A new one is over $1600 before shipping or anything else. Congrats, FB

doubledown
04-17-2011, 03:14 PM
You got a great deal! The 1050 is an awesome press. Caliber changes are not hard to do and take about 20 minutes, if you are not going to small primer. Caliber conversions are pricey if you go with the tool head ( I do ) at about $400. All that said that machine has no equal, you will load ammo so fast you will be on the phone with midway for more brass, primers, powder. What you used to think was alot of reloading will be reduced to minutes, not hours or days.

Now that you are going big time you might want to check out a brass trimmer that will keep up with the 1050. http://www.giraudtool.com/prod02.htm

Good luck with your machine, any questions feel free to PM me, DD

Roundnoser
04-17-2011, 06:02 PM
I think the new ones are around 1600 plus shipping. The bullet tray was included in the deal, but I don't think Dillon includes the bullet tray on the 1050 (why, I have no idea...kinda silly).

Might sound crazy, but this is 1050 number 2! I already have one set up in 9mm.

Its been said, the 1050 is super fast, and can crank out ammo like no ones business ! Its WAY more machine than I need, but it is awesome, smooth and a joy to use! I'm very happy to reload 1k rounds every month and repeat as needed. The idea is to have one for each primer size...will make conversions much easier.

Thanks DD, I will certainly do that. You can shoot me a PM as well if you want to.

noylj
04-17-2011, 10:10 PM
Dillon will cover some things. I am not sure, but I have been told that Dillon will do a complete overhaul for $100 or such.
I love my three. The "problem" with Dillons (and the 1050 in particular) is the cost of caliber conversions and toolheads. Look in the manual and note what parts are included in what conversion kit and be sure you don't duplicate anything (unless you want to). .38 Super uses the same parts as the 9x19 kit and the 10mm Auto kit has just one part different from the .40S&W kit.
Without the bushings (like Hornady and Lee), you will want a tool head for any calibers that you will use a lot--which is really what the press is designed for.

Roundnoser
04-22-2011, 10:32 PM
My 1050 arrived today. Couldn't have asked for a better transaction. The seller was a great guy. The press is like-new. Runs like a dream...no hang ups at all. He even included a small supply of extra parts (decapping pins, springs, swaging rod, nuts/bolts) just in case something broke. I'm glad I bought it.

I may not reload 10K rounds a month, but I have never reloaded on a press as nice or as fast! IMO, Its just damn fun to use.

FN in MT
04-22-2011, 11:28 PM
Dillon will cover some things. I am not sure, but I have been told that Dillon will do a complete overhaul for $100 or such.
I love my three. The "problem" with Dillons (and the 1050 in particular) is the cost of caliber conversions and toolheads. Look in the manual and note what parts are included in what conversion kit and be sure you don't duplicate anything (unless you want to). .38 Super uses the same parts as the 9x19 kit and the 10mm Auto kit has just one part different from the .40S&W kit.
Without the bushings (like Hornady and Lee), you will want a tool head for any calibers that you will use a lot--which is really what the press is designed for.

I fell into a Dillon RL1000 a few yrs back that had been set up for 9x23. I got the press, the dies, case feeder and a few other spare parts. Unfortunately it's missing maybe 5% of the parts reqd to make it work. And. 9x23...unless I can load 9x19 on it...is worthless to me.

This got me thinking I should get it to Dillon and if they do the OVERHAUL get it done. I have 4 or 5 thousand rds of .45 all Military with the crimped in primer...this press would allow me to load those up....easily.

Anyone know anything about Dillon and the overhaul policy with the RL1000's or 1050's??

FN in MT

Roundnoser
04-22-2011, 11:35 PM
FN/MT -- Do you need the overhaul? Would it be possible for you to review the parts diagram to figure out what you need. It might be less of a hassle to just get the parts sent to you...The 1050 can't be any more complicated than the 1000 (I'm guessing). Most of the parts on the 1050 can be swapped out / replaced / installed without too much trouble.

Alvarez Kelly
04-23-2011, 12:14 AM
I fell into a Dillon RL1000 a few yrs back that had been set up for 9x23. I got the press, the dies, case feeder and a few other spare parts. Unfortunately it's missing maybe 5% of the parts reqd to make it work. And. 9x23...unless I can load 9x19 on it...is worthless to me.

This got me thinking I should get it to Dillon and if they do the OVERHAUL get it done. I have 4 or 5 thousand rds of .45 all Military with the crimped in primer...this press would allow me to load those up....easily.

Anyone know anything about Dillon and the overhaul policy with the RL1000's or 1050's??

FN in MT

The RL1000 does not have the lifetime guarantee that many Dillon presses do. Neither does the old Dillon 300 or any of the 1050 models. Dillon will still refurbish them as best they can, but they have virtually zero repair parts anymore. The last time I heard, they charged about $150 to do this, but that included return shipping. There is a guy that occasionally posts on this board that has a HUGE supply of RL1000 parts, but I lost his contact info in a computer crash. Sorry I can't be more help.

There is a market for used RL1000 presses, should you decide to sell it. How much would you take for it? :-)

Roundnoser
04-23-2011, 06:08 AM
There is a market for used RL1000 presses, should you decide to sell it. How much would you take for it? :-)

Ah, Ha! There ya go! Could be a win-win situation right there.

FN in MT
04-23-2011, 08:39 AM
The RL1000 does not have the lifetime guarantee that many Dillon presses do. Neither does the old Dillon 300 or any of the 1050 models. Dillon will still refurbish them as best they can, but they have virtually zero repair parts anymore. The last time I heard, they charged about $150 to do this, but that included return shipping. There is a guy that occasionally posts on this board that has a HUGE supply of RL1000 parts, but I lost his contact info in a computer crash. Sorry I can't be more help.

I found a parts diagram last night....THATS the route I'll take to check for the rest of the items I may need. I doubt if the press was cycled 5K times, most likely far less. Bought and used by a guy who shot Action pistol/IPSC for a SEASON.

Not really interested in simply selling it. Appreciate the input Gentlemen.

FN in MT

jmorris
04-23-2011, 09:08 AM
[

I found a parts diagram last night....THATS the route I'll take to check for the rest of the items I may need. I doubt if the press was cycled 5K times, most likely far less. Bought and used by a guy who shot Action pistol/IPSC? for a SEASON.

A "seasons" worth of ammo for gun games could be 20,000+

FN in MT
04-23-2011, 10:34 AM
A "seasons" worth of ammo for gun games could be 20,000+

And it could be 100K for some as well. I KNOW the individual who owned the press rather well. WHY I posted the 5K figure.

Why do so many people here apparently enjoy posting "corrections" like this?

Do I need to post attachments to supporting evidence for you?

FN in MT

btroj
04-23-2011, 11:00 AM
I suppose I would think that a guy who shot for A SEASON most likely did not shoot 20,000 rounds. A hardcore shooter yes, but a guy getting into it , not so much.

I took your info at face value. Why? Because I had no reason not to. Just because some shooters do that much shooting does not mean all of them do. Besides, with a tool like a 1050 does it really matter?

Sounds like you a good deal. Most importantly YOU are happy. That is all that matters in the long run. Enjoy that machine, I hope you can shoot fast enough to keep up with it!

angus6
04-23-2011, 09:25 PM
A RL1050 hit the Boston craigslist this morning for $875 OBO,, 978-500-4895
Wished I was close:(

Idaho Sharpshooter
04-25-2011, 12:35 AM
These machines stand alone at the top of the food chain.

Like a fine double rifle, they make you smile every time you use them, or clean them, or just walk by and give them a little pat on the ass.

Quality is never a bad investment...

Rich

Roundnoser
04-25-2011, 01:23 AM
These machines stand alone at the top of the food chain.

Like a fine double rifle, they make you smile every time you use them, or clean them, or just walk by and give them a little pat on the ass.

Quality is never a bad investment...

Rich

Ya know what?...I like you Rich. I like the way you think. My Dad was like that when it came to purchasing things. He would always buy the best. The best car...the best cut of meat, etc... Dad wouldn't buy a steak from the supermarket, he'd order them from Omaha Steaks. They were expensive, but they were damn good! -- I guess its the same for me. I just like the quality..its worth every penny to me.

And by the way, I have two 1050s side by side, and BOTH get a pat on the ass everytime I walk by...everytime!

shotstring
04-25-2011, 03:44 AM
You done good for a new machine for all practical purposes. I don't think the 550 is even in the same ballpark as the 1000 or the 1050 even though I like my 550. I bought a 1000 way back when for SASS shooting as 45 long colt was pricey and you needed lots of it for the cowboy game.

Well, I quit SASS a short time later and the boxes and boxes of loaded 45 LC from that single first afternoon of reloading has lasted me over 10 years. Those machines can load a lot of ammo in a day! I prefer the Star loaders for small pistol calibers because of the shorter arm throw, but the 1050 is built stronger. Wish I could afford 3 more of them, even if I don't need that kind of production. They are just the best.

Bullwolf
04-25-2011, 05:35 AM
I used to work as a re-loader for a small indoor gun range in California. We only reloaded handgun ammunition, and in the back room we used 2 Dillon 1050's.

They were wonderful precision machines, and they did their part as long as you did your part. Other than the occasional berdan primed case sneaking it's way past the human case sorters from time to time, or a smaller sneaky case like 25acp stuck inside you were doing, they would run like the finely oiled machines that they are.

The sheer quantity of production they are capable of is impressive. I recall we would fill 55 gallon containers with the 1050 machines, and the case checkers would check them all by hand, one at a time manually using a case check gauge.

I had previously only used single stage presses. I still somewhat prefer the slow steady pace of a single stage press for my own home reloading needs. I find the pace relaxing, and I enjoy the extra time and quality control you can put into your reloading that way as well. As long as I am not reloading an extremely large quantity of ammunition at one sitting.

The Dillon 1050 made me really appreciate the progressive press, and the quality and service that Dillon offered sold me completely. I can not imagine reloading as much for myself in one lifetime, as I ever did in that back room though.

I don't think it will ever be a bad investment. If you do run into any problems, Dillon is pretty solid about backing up their product. The best part is that other than the occasional operator error, the Dillon Press will very rarely let you down in the first place. Also, unless you happen to be reloading competitively, or commercially, you are not likely to wear the press out any time soon.

- Bullwolf

bslim
04-25-2011, 10:41 AM
Last month I ran across an add in the Buy/Sell section for an automatic casting machine. Thought maybe I could scrounge some bullet lead if he was getting rid of his equipment. Not so, but in the conversation it was mentioned that he had a 1050 for sale. By the time it was all said and done, it cost me $1050 shipped to my door. I didn't need a 1050 but the price was equivalent to a 650 set up with a case feeder and all of the small attatchments. After an inspection, I got onto Dillons site and made a list of the parts I wanted to replace. When I called them, they replaced the powder measure column, a bolt and bearing combination and a couple of other small parts for free. Nothing mentioned to me about no warranty and I didn't ask for warranty. the powder check and the spare primer pick-up tubes I wanted, of course I paid for including the shipping for all of the parts. The people at Dillion are great to deal with and a phone call solved a lot of problems. The 1050 is set up and working great. I didn't need a 1050 for the amount of shooting I do, but it is a slick machine and I am sure happy with the quality of the reloads it produces.

Doby45
04-25-2011, 11:56 PM
Without pics this whole scenario never happened. ;)

Roundnoser
04-26-2011, 12:23 AM
Without pics this whole scenario never happened. ;)

You're right! How rude of me...

BLAMMMMMMM!!!!!
KACHOWWWWW!!!
KABOOMMMM!!!

Doby45
04-26-2011, 11:36 AM
*GASP*

It is beautiful..

JeffHolt
04-26-2011, 02:39 PM
"A RL1050 hit the Boston craigslist this morning for $875 OBO,, 978-500-4895
Wished I was close "

I left my contact info for that Dillon in Mass. We'll see what transpires.
Thanks for the heads up BTW.
Jeff

bslim
04-26-2011, 03:58 PM
Nice set-up Roundnoser Enjoy!

JeffHolt
04-26-2011, 06:28 PM
Going down tom take a gander at the Dillon 1050 with a Dillon 2000 tumbler tommorrow morning.

Ohhh, happy Day! Ohhh, Happy, Happy day!

angus6
04-27-2011, 05:30 AM
Going down tom take a gander at the Dillon 1050 with a Dillon 2000 tumbler tommorrow morning.

Ohhh, happy Day! Ohhh, Happy, Happy day!

Cool , surprised at that price it's still around

jmorris
04-27-2011, 08:36 AM
Without pics this whole scenario never happened.
You're right! How rude of me...

BLAMMMMMMM!!!!!

No bullet feeders? That's like retreads on a race car.

What's the SD set up for?

Roundnoser
04-27-2011, 08:56 AM
No bullet feeders? That's like retreads on a race car.

What's the SD set up for?

Crawl...walk...run. Bullet feeders may very well be the next item on the list! Until I have the cash, I have to run them on retreads....at least it looks good. The SDB is for 40 S&W. I may just sell that, and put the money towards a 1050 quick change / conversion. It would free up some room on the bench.

Next big purchase will probably be a case master Jr. or similar. I have to do something about bulged cases! Some cases will pass the no-go gauge, but will hang up in my chamber. -- There is a method to my madness....If you'll notice in the pictures how close the case feeders are to the edge of the work bench. I'd put the case master on a portable stand, and move it next to the appropriate 1050 case feeder. That way, the case feeders can pull double-duty.

JeffHolt
04-27-2011, 11:01 AM
Well, as it turns out, I need a 1050 Super. The RL is great for pistols rounds but I need something I can process Rifle brass on as well.

As the Dillons turn.... Sigh, my search continues.

LUBEDUDE
06-05-2011, 09:00 PM
For the stand alone shooter it is way too much press.

I apologize in advance Cajun Shooter,and I do not mean to be confrontational, but that is an ignorant thing to say.

But I guess when I graduated to a 550 from a single stage press I may have said the same thing.
Twenty years later I got smart and bought the 1050 and wondered why the heck I waited so darn long!

1050's Rock!

You don't give people advice on reloaders based on volume, you do not know how valuable their time is worth.
And/or, some of us appreciate the most precision possible and/or want the best the market has to offer.
And conversions are ok, but for the main calibers you shoot a lot, just buy another reloader for that caliber. I don't want to screw around with resetting everything doing conversions.
Time is very valuable to some of us.

One of my close SASS pards has a 1050, 2- 650's, 2-550's, a Mec 9000g, and a Spolar Gold. and he does not sell or reload for anyone else, only for himself.

To each his own.

BTW, Roundnoser - congrats on your 1050, enjoy!

UNIQUEDOT
06-06-2011, 02:15 PM
I apologize in advance Cajun Shooter,and I do not mean to be confrontational, but that is an ignorant thing to say.

You don't give people advice on reloaders based on volume, you do not know how valuable their time is worth.

He could say the same thing to you as you obviously have needs and wants confused. When someone gives advice on what one needs it may be all he/she needs, but not what they want. It's always good advice to point out what one needs and if they choose wants over needs...hey it's their money and or bragging rights. The average shooter/reloader doesn't shoot/load enough to warrant either since there isn't much time involved.

LUBEDUDE
06-06-2011, 02:45 PM
He could say the same thing to you as you obviously have needs and wants confused. When someone gives advice on what one needs it may be all he/she needs, but not what they want. It's always good advice to point out what one needs and if they choose wants over needs...hey it's their money and or bragging rights. The average shooter/reloader doesn't shoot/load enough to warrant either since there isn't much time involved.

Good point - IF your talking linear. But this is life, no two lives are linear.

That is, if both shooters need 100 rounds for the weekend then a D-550 is all they need. Heck another guy could say a Rock Chucker is all they need, but I digress.
Anyway, shooter A works from 9-5 , married, 2 kids, house, with chores.
Shooter,B similar but works form 7-7, and has to take some work home. He does not have as much disposable free time as shooter A. To him, a 1050 just might appeal to him more since it is at least twice as fast. It will also take some mental pressure off as well, knowing it won't take as long.

Best advice is to give features and benefits and let the indivdual decide if it fits their needs.
Self indexing/quicker, manual/easy to fix *****s, 6 stations/more precise, interchangable toolheads/quick,easy, save time ..etc

Who am I to tell you it you NEED your CAR, or NEED you PISTOL? or RELOADER?

7of7
06-09-2011, 08:44 AM
Roundnoser, those pics make me sick... or is it green... :bigsmyl2:

Nice, very nice...

jmorris
06-09-2011, 08:53 AM
He could say the same thing to you as you obviously have needs and wants confused.

If you want to reload all you need is one of the Lee hammer style reloaders, with practice you might get to 50 an hour...

LUBEDUDE
06-09-2011, 04:12 PM
That's how I started with 44 mag and enjoyed it.

dverna
06-10-2011, 04:19 PM
If all you ever drive is a Yugo it is all your really "need".

I see two extremes. Those who cannot afford (or justify) better (faster) and those who can afford, or need (wish?) to have the best.

Three SASS matches a month is less than a competitive shooter burns in afternoon of practice and he is likely shoots 2-3 times a week. The "needs" are very different. You do not get to be good at something by playing at it. 300 rounds a month is NOT serious shooting but offers a reasonable perspective for others who do not shoot much either.
Don

jmorris
06-10-2011, 11:25 PM
The "needs" are very different. You do not get to be good at something by playing at it. 300 rounds a month is NOT serious shooting but offers a reasonable perspective for others who do not shoot much either.

I never had the high production equipment before I started shooting competitively. I have shot 300 rounds in one match.

Roundnoser
06-11-2011, 08:20 AM
My decision to buy a 1050 (two of them actually...one for each of the most popular caliblers I shoot), had NOTHING to do with my "need". In a good month, I may shoot 1K of ammo. On an average month maybe 1/2K. I consider myself a good shooter (I classify expert for IDPA), and have been shooting via military, law enforcement and competition for many, many years... but I'm certainly not a Master or Pro shooter.

I purchased the 1050's because I could afford it, and because I wanted to load on a great machine. Thats it! Call it overkill, or excess, whatever you'd like...Its how I choose to spend my "Play" money. It makes me happy...it is enjoyable to me. For me, it is money well spent.

I love to reload, bullet cast and tinker with machinery as much as I like to shoot. Every month, I prep one of the 1050s and spend 30 minutes loading the ammo I will shoot for the next 2 or 3 weeks.

I'm starting into that whole mid-life crisis thing...I told my wife I'm tired of compromising on the things I want to have, and do in life...One day before I know it, I'll be 70, or 80 years old. I don't want to look back and say, "I wish I did this, or I wish I had just done that.."

If you want to reload cheap and shoot for cheap...Good for you! If you want to Make your own reloading tools, or invent shooting accessories...Good for you also! I'm happy for you, if thats what makes you happy. I have no interest in assessing your motivations for what you do. I only ask for the same courtesy from others:If my 1050s and my reloading / shooting routine make me happy, then just be happy for me. No need to analyze it further! - We are all on this forum to share information and HAVE FUN! lets leave the squabbling at home.

LUBEDUDE
06-11-2011, 11:48 PM
Very well said Roundnoser.

My feelings exactly!

I have two 1050's as well. But I load a little different. I go ape and load 15-20k rounds in 3-4 days to a week which holds me for a year if I am not practicing, which is the norm.

I do the the same for the shotgun, which is why I bought a Spolar Gold. I load a few thousand rounds in the same time period and that holds for about a year as well.

When you own a business that's a one man show, time is just too valuable.

I only have time to get on the forum for resting my back and feet.

Roundnoser
06-12-2011, 06:57 AM
Very well said Roundnoser.

My feelings exactly!

I have two 1050's as well. But I load a little different. I go ape and load 15-20k rounds in 3-4 days to a week which holds me for a year if I am not practicing, which is the norm.

I do the the same for the shotgun, which is why I bought a Spolar Gold. I load a few thousand rounds in the same time period and that holds for about a year as well.

When you own a business that's a one man show, time is just too valuable.

I only have time to get on the forum for resting my back and feet.

LUBEDUDE,

If that makes you happy...I'm happy for you!:-P

Alvarez Kelly
06-12-2011, 05:12 PM
Well said Rounnoser. I also enjoy the reloading as much as the shooting. Good equipment is a pleasure to use. Congrats again! :-)