PDA

View Full Version : new Mitchel Mauser tanker .308

castalott
12-12-2006, 12:13 PM
Howdy...

Mitchel's Mausers shows a NEW manufactured 98 mauser in .308. It has a 17 inch barrel. Do any of you have any experience with this? If it was a regular full sized rifle in 308, I'd be all over it.....

Can anyone reccommend a smith who specializes in mauser millitary rebuids? I want it to look originial on the outside but a cast friendly barrel/ chamber.

Thanks to all in advance....

castalott
12-12-2006, 12:32 PM
I done the smart thing for a change...

I called them..they are out! Don't expect any for at least 3 months...They are out of the cheaper 8 mm's too....They said business is brisk....hmmmmm.....

I also told them that IF they would sell a full sized mauser in 308, they would sell a bunch of them...Am I right? I know I would buy an old world quality mauser in 308....

Ricochet
12-12-2006, 12:33 PM
Their manufacturer is Zastava in Serbia. Currently they have an exclusive contract in the U.S. to sell their rifles as Remingtons. No commercial Zastavas here. They were sold as Charles Daleys.

Ricochet
12-12-2006, 12:42 PM
BTW, though they're pretty much a 98 Mauser type, they're really M48 Yugoslavian Mausers, which are rather different from the 98s. They're patterned after the FN M1924. Few parts will interchange, and the actions don't fit in the same stocks. The M48 is an intermediate length action, abvout 1/4" shorter than M98 types, with the large ring of the M98. The barrel has a cut in it for the extractor and won't interchange with M98 barrels.

Mitchell's story of the M48s being produced on German machinery and patterned after the K98k is pure fabrication. The Germans had nothing to do with their design or production. The only thing about them patterned after the K98k is the sling mounting. The Yugos both bought M1924s from FN and bought production equipment and a license from FN in the 1920s. The Germans invaded Yugoslavia and stole their production equipment, the Serbians being too intractably rebellious to be used to produce weapons for the Reich as other captured arms factories were. After the war, M24s were rebuilt into the "new model" M24/47, and when they ran out of old rifles to rebuild they started making the new M48s on the same basic design with some minor "improvements" such as the side mounted sling and bent bolt handle. The first M48s are rough looking, because they were getting by with minimal equipment, much of the machine tooling stolen by the Germans still missing, and they gradually replaced it from a variety of sources. Also, an invasion of Yugoslavia by the Russians and their "allies" was expected at any moment, so they were built under wartime pressure as were 1942 Mosin-Nagants or 1945 German Mausers.

Bret4207
12-12-2006, 04:09 PM
There ought to be enough chopped K Kale Turks and VZ 24's out there to build a "tanker" for little or nothing. Of course factory builts avoid the headaches. Toss a coin. Gonna be loud either way.

Oh, you want a 308. Sorry about that. Gun Parts Corp and Shooters usually has 19" 308 barrels for cheap. Again, it's gonna be loud.

Junior1942
12-12-2006, 04:18 PM
Did I hear someone say, "It's gonna be loud"? Guess what? It's gonna be loud.

Bret4207
12-12-2006, 07:03 PM
What!!!!???????

45nut
12-12-2006, 09:18 PM
HUH? Somebuddy say sumthin?

jh45gun
12-13-2006, 10:38 AM
Well not that loud I have a 308 Encore pistol with a 15 inch barrel and it is not that bad.

Bret4207
12-13-2006, 08:25 PM
Try a 32 WCF peestol or 32 Mag, or if you really want pain a 256 Win Mag Hawkeye, assuming you can locate one. OUCH!!!

357maximum
12-13-2006, 08:51 PM
what?...just got done shooting a 15 inch 444 marlin witha a brake...

trooperdan
12-14-2006, 11:43 AM
Or a Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine. Skeeter Skelton described his first shot as "felt like someone smacked me in the face with a wet towel at the same time a dynamite cap went off in each ear"! And he had muffs on of course! I've always loved his description as extremely accurately conveying the sensation!

Ricochet
12-14-2006, 03:59 PM
Skeeter was a terrific writer! His articles were always fun to read.

Boz330
12-14-2006, 07:56 PM
Got one of his books as a present and I never get tired of reading the stories. Get to laughing so hard that I can't read for the tears. Used to read his articles religiously back when he was still writing, broke my heart when he passed.

waksupi
12-15-2006, 12:07 AM
Or a Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine. Skeeter Skelton described his first shot as "felt like someone smacked me in the face with a wet towel at the same time a dynamite cap went off in each ear"! And he had muffs on of course! I've always loved his description as extremely accurately conveying the sensation!

Ditto! I used to have a .30 carbine pistol. Excellent accuracy, at far beyound normal handgun ranges. But the Noise! The NOISE! Felt like I had been slapped on all portions of my face at once. It had to leave the premises. Traded it for a more sensible .44 magnum, for something I could stand to be near, when it went off.

Dan in Wa
12-16-2006, 10:20 AM
Have shot the .30 carbine in the Ruger. You are all right......it's the loudest sob Iv'e ever shot but the .32 mag is not far behind. The .30 Herrett with W296 is not far behind either. All of them give a good light show even on a sunny day.

John F.
12-18-2006, 11:18 PM
I got to handle one of the short Mitchell Mauser 98's in 8x57mm at a local pawn shop a couple of months ago. It was in absolutely as-new condition, with a decent sling, for $275.00. I was tempted, especially as 8x57 is one of the few remaining good deals in surplus ammo (if you are willing to shoot corrosive ammo.) The wood was a very light blonde color, fit and finish were excellent, and it was a very nice little rifle. Sometimes I still kick myself for letting it get away. A friend who is a gunshop manager tells me that Mitchell will vary their prices/availability at times, making the selling price of their 98's a guessing game for the dealers. I would personally not be eager to pay full retail or even close to it, as there are plenty of Mausers out there. Retail on this short 98 per Mitchell is about $500. I would expect it to really sell for maybe $375 new?

John