PDA

View Full Version : New guy needs advice

Space Cadet
04-16-2011, 02:58 PM
Hi guys,

Subject: Storage of W231 in hot and humid (85%+) climate.

Once you open a new container of W231, does the quality begin to degrade in high humidity - high temperature climates?

Question: Once opened, what's your advice for proper storage?

Question: Is it better to have the 1 lb. containers than the 4 lb. or 8 lb. to limit any degradation?

Thanks

John Traveler
04-16-2011, 03:46 PM
You certainly want to avoid prolonged storage in hot and humid climates that accelerate powder deterioration.

When it gets too hot to be comfortable, I store the powder indoors in an out-of-the way cabinet. During fair weather, it goes into my loading/work shop.

An opened versus sealed container should make no difference. The difference between open and sealed is that the solvents used in powder manufacture (ether, acetone, alcohol) evaporate faster, and the moisture content of the manufactured powder changes a little.

Size of the powder container (1 lb vs 8 lb) makes no difference. The US military used to (probably still does) store it's artillery powder in containers of hundreds of pounds.

In my extensive small arms reloading experience, the only powder and ammunition I've found to have deteriorated is pre-WWII german, spanish, and lots that were stored for years in the tropics. A few lots of US WWII surplus powders have gone bad from the rushed wartime production that left acid residue in the powder, and resulted in accellerated decomposition.

Wayne Smith
04-17-2011, 09:29 AM
Keep it in an air conditioned house and you have no problems. If the wife questions this mention that it is a flammable, not an explosive. Gas stored for the lawn mower is more dangerous by far.

DJ1
04-17-2011, 09:50 AM
I agree with storing it in the house or basement. I buy 8 lb at a time and have never had any issues.
DJ

1hole
04-17-2011, 07:40 PM
"Once you open a new container of W231, does the quality begin to degrade in high humidity - high temperature climates?"

Yeah, if you store powder in temps above maybe 130 F for 6-10 years it will probably degrade some. Cold doesn't matter tho, it would be great if you store it in a freezer. You can pretty well control any humidity effects by keeping the cap tight.

"Question: Once opened, what's your advice for proper storage?"

If you can stand the temp so can the powder, for a long time anyway, but cool is better.