PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Block Balance Point Question

oldracer
04-16-2011, 02:52 PM
Well I have the loads pretty much figured out and on a rest the Rolling Block is shooting great groups at 100 and 200 yds. So, I figured I would start working on my off hand shooting and found I need some help, as I expected.

I have done a bit of searching and read the article by Mr. Pope on shooting and where he talks about the hand position in front and how the position and the balance affects the accuracy of off hand shooting. He mentions that less weight in front of the front hand fools the shooter into the feeling of less weight and of course visa-versa.

So what I an curious about is adding lead to the stock, which I have done but the balance is still a bit forward of my hand position. I have arthritis in my shoulders, elbows and both hands so I try to lock my left arm against my chest as much as possible to reduce the movement of the barrel, so I made a cast lead replacement for the recoil pad that was on the rifle and am working on finishing the shape. When attaching it, the weight has brought the balance point to exactly where my forward hand is resting and in some testing I found that the front sight seems to move a lot less than before. The total weight of the gun is now at 14# according to a fairly accurate scale.

Does this sound reasonable and have some of the more experienced shooters done this in the past?

John Taylor
04-17-2011, 11:41 AM
Seems most of the shooters I do work for want to stay under 12 pounds for some of the competitions. I end up taking weight off the barrel which moves the center of gravity back a bunch.

oldracer
04-17-2011, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the info. I had considered the barrel shortening idea but that is a tad more involved than adding weight. With the new cast lead butt plate the gun weighs 12.5# it appears on our home scale so that should not be too bad?

NickSS
04-18-2011, 04:50 AM
If you plan on using it for NRA Silhouettes it needs to be under 12.2 pounds

oldracer
04-18-2011, 06:43 PM
Hummmmm, is there a special calibrated NRA scale to use as I am currently using my highly calibrated nuclear power supplied scale.......