PDA

View Full Version : Lyman # 61 Melting Pot

ia1727
04-16-2011, 12:07 PM
I'm looking at a Lyman #61 melting pot to use instead of dipping. I'm also thinking about this so I don't smelt in the same pot I"ll be casting out of.

Anyone have one that could give me pro's and con's about it--yes--it's used but in very good shape.

Any idea how much lead they hold--and--are there still parts available if something should go wrong with it ?

Any idea as to an average cost for a good used one ?

Thanks,

Steve

Russ in WY
04-16-2011, 10:17 PM
Well Steve , I have one that is over 40yrs old. All tho it did not cast for about 30yrs in-between , it is still a good pot . I would say it is a 10lb min . as to parts availability , I would look on the Lyman website & see what you could find. Think I saw one sell for about $80 a week ago on this site . As a matter of fact I am dickering on a used one myself now . Go for it .. My 2¢ Russ.

Iron Mike Golf
04-17-2011, 11:31 PM
I do think that is basically the same as a SAECO Model 24, which is what I use. The thermostat is mounted on the outside wall of the pot. Current models of furnaces mount the thermostat in the space between the pot and outer shell and that can lead to wide temp swings.

It's rated for 10 lbs, but I have comfortably loaded 11 lbs in mine. The valve comes apart easy. I am enjoying it a lot. One day, I'll probably get a 20 lb pot, but for now, I am set real fine with this furnace.

Calamity Jake
04-18-2011, 09:16 AM
Saeco made that Lyman 61 to there specs.

As Iron Mike says it holds 11# pertty easy.

Mine gets up to about 925° if I set it to high.