PDA

View Full Version : Show us your handgun shooting rest

buck1
04-16-2011, 12:01 PM
I have asked this before but its been a wile and I never really found one I like. We have a great group of orginal thinkers here and I would love to see some of your rests! Thanks all....Buck

winelover
04-16-2011, 12:28 PM
I don't practice handgunning off a rest. For hunting purposes, I like to sit in one of those folding aluminum "beach" chairs that keeps your rear just about an inch off the ground and use my knees to support a handgun. If I can't hit what I'm aiming for with that configuration, a carbine or rifle is required.

Winelover

subsonic
04-16-2011, 12:35 PM
I don't have a picture, but I just use old lead shot bags filled with sand for the front and a small cloth sand bag to rest the butt of the gun on. I wrap and re-wrap the top sandbag with duct tape often if I'm shooting revolvers and blasting the tape off. I usually press forward and down on the gun and rest the area just below the base pin and/or bottom of the barrel on the bags. I do this to minimize wobble for accuracy tests. I do NOT do this for sighting-in purposes.

Realize that your handgun will not shoot to the same point of aim when you rest it in a different manner or shoot it offhand. A lot of people will tell you NOT to rest the barrel or butt on anything to minimize this effect.

markinalpine
04-16-2011, 04:46 PM
It's a Hyskore #30033 Low Profile Shooting Rest (http://hyskore.com/wp/2010/12/06/low-profile/)
I glued felt "furniture protection" disks to the bottoms of the feet to reduce slippage.
Mark :Fire:

tek4260
04-16-2011, 11:18 PM
Top rail of the deck where this revolver is laying. I have tried pistol rests but they change the POI too much for me. I can lean across with my forearms resting on the rail and be steady without the change in POI

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/tk3945/guns2/101_2837.jpg

stubshaft
04-17-2011, 03:07 AM
This is a Bower rest that works great for break actions.

44man
04-17-2011, 08:19 AM
I just use sand bags. I tried one of those plastic things with my .475 and the whole rest flew over my head! :holysheep

tek4260
04-17-2011, 10:23 AM
I just use sand bags. I tried one of those plastic things with my .475 and the whole rest flew over my head! :holysheep

How's that! I though you said you had to hold them 475's tight?? :wink:

You were right about "no loose hold". My BFR will get blood when you hold it like a 44.

That'll Do
04-17-2011, 06:25 PM
I use a Shooter's Ridge Pistol Rest.

It works pretty well, of course the most powerful loads I shoot are the occasional heavy 44 Special load. The majority of my shooting is 357 Magnum and 45 ACP. I like the all metal construction, plus you can change the elevation of the rest easily.

I do use two additional square shaped sand bangs to rest my elbows on. It makes it easier to shoot, in my opinion.

http://www.oeoutfitters.com/ProdImages/WSProdLG_shootersridge40875.jpg

475BH
04-17-2011, 09:23 PM
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/sbhg/Picture.jpg
Lately I have been using the rest (I should say position) above.
I have tried it w/ shooting sticks also, works very good.:mrgreen:

Whitworth
04-18-2011, 07:14 AM

Amen, that's about all that works for me.

Matthew 25
04-19-2011, 07:34 PM
475BH, that's my preferred position. The best is resting against the tire of my pickup, locking my shoulders in and putting my head consistently in the same place on the upper sidewall.
Although I usually shoot offhand.

DanWalker
04-19-2011, 07:40 PM
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/sbhg/Picture.jpg
Lately I have been using the rest (I should say position) above.

I do the same thing. After pounding my right elbow mercilessly for years, shooting hard kicking handguns from the bench, I gave it up. Now I shoot much saner loads, from the same positions I hunt from. I have no interest anymore in seeing how close together I can make holes in paper. I want to be able to put my first round EXACTLY where it needs to go, from a field position, at my own ethical maximum hunting range.

canyon-ghost
04-19-2011, 08:02 PM
Well, I doubt mine would fly over your head. I built one in the welding shop when things were slow. I managed to get the machinist (Outlaw) and the painter in on it.

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx228/3rdshooter/contenders/OutlawSpyderpistolrest001.jpg

crabo
04-19-2011, 09:09 PM
Very nice, I just wouldn't want to haul it around. If you could leave it set up, that would be awesome.

stubshaft
04-19-2011, 09:24 PM
This is the one I use for my bolt pistols.

Doc Highwall
04-19-2011, 09:42 PM
stubshaft, who makes the rest you have there? I like that, now I have to make one for myself.

canyon-ghost
04-19-2011, 11:45 PM
Crabo, it does weigh 23 pounds, however, the top slips off and the sled for the buttstock does too. In 3 pieces, it isnt all that hard to move.

Grmps
09-11-2017, 06:42 PM
Bringing this thread back because PB killed the pictures :groner:

str8wal
09-11-2017, 07:21 PM
Never had much use for "rests" as I can't take 'em in the wood with me.

JBinMN
09-11-2017, 07:41 PM
I usually use sandbags usually for working loads. Sitting or prone. Basically to find out how the firearm likes certain combinations for loads. So, I only use a rest at certain times..(The only reason I bought a chrono also, was for checking working up loads. To learn a bit more about how certain firearms & load components react to certain working loads.)

Other than that, I shoot free handed (<meaning in what ever position like prone/sitting/kneeling/offhand that is needed or desired), with the occasional leaning up against a tree when hunting. I try to practice shooting pistols with one hand strong side, as well as two handed. Lately, with surgery on strong side, have been working on one handed weak side shooting. Rifle & shotgun I stick to 2 hands , but I have occasionally "John Wayne'd" one handed, just for the fun of it.
;)

So, the only time I use a rest, as in sandbags, is during the experimenting stage of working the combinations of firearm+powder+ bullet/boolit to find out what seems to work the best.
:)

Idaho45guy
09-12-2017, 07:01 AM
I use the bodies of my fallen enemies...

But seriously, I do all of my pistol accuracy testing out at my dad's range. He has an indoor shooting bench with a pair of wooden shooting sticks mounted. Not great for pistols, but they work...