PDA

View Full Version : Rechamber 458x2"

Bullshop
05-31-2005, 11:41 PM
New question for the smithy typs. Bass I know you like the 458x2" so you might could answer this. I have a Win Mod 70 FW push feed in 458x2" for sale in my shop. Since it is for a wild cat cartridge I know it will sit for a long time. Not many reloaders here. I want to ream it to 450 Marlin mag without putting $ in it. Seems to me that shouldnt require much metal be removed. Question, If I rent the reamer and procede carefully can I do this by hand? If so please explain what I need as I have never done this. Cautions? please explain. As a 450 marlin this will be more marketable here and I would like to have it ready for moose season in August. Where would I rent the tools , and what can I expect to pay. Bass I just know your saying why would you ruin the best cast boolit chambering as I have read your praises of the 458x2". I cant afford to keep it so I have to get it sold and thats about the only way it will ever sell from my shop.
Thanks to all
BIC/BS

Scrounger
05-31-2005, 11:49 PM
New question for the smithy typs. Bass I know you like the 458x2" so you might could answer this. I have a Win Mod 70 FW push feed in 458x2" for sale in my shop. Since it is for a wild cat cartridge I know it will sit for a long time. Not many reloaders here. I want to ream it to 450 Marlin mag without putting $ in it. Seems to me that shouldnt require much metal be removed. Question, If I rent the reamer and procede carefully can I do this by hand? If so please explain what I need as I have never done this. Cautions? please explain. As a 450 marlin this will be more marketable here and I would like to have it ready for moose season in August. Where would I rent the tools , and what can I expect to pay. Bass I just know your saying why would you ruin the best cast boolit chambering as I have read your praises of the 458x2". I cant afford to keep it so I have to get it sold and thats about the only way it will ever sell from my shop.
Thanks to all
BIC/BS

I agree with Bass, why ruin it? List it on Auction Arms, it just might sell. If you're really desparate, I'll trade you a perfectly good Savage .30-06 for it.
Or a Ruger .44 mag.

Bass Ackward
06-01-2005, 06:20 AM
Question, If I rent the reamer and procede carefully can I do this by hand? If so please explain what I need as I have never done this.

Cautions? please explain. As a 450 marlin this will be more marketable here and I would like to have it ready for moose season in August. Where would I rent the tools , and what can I expect to pay.
BIC/BS

Dan,

I am ashamed to admit that I don't know the answer here. But the guy at 4D Reamers (just search) should.

The 458 is the straightest case ever made. It should be possible because the belt is a little thicker and the case slightly longer. It's the body taper though that I don't have an answer too. Of coarse, the bridge of no return will be the go / no go guages before you run into more money because you have to send it out. I don't know if you will have a higher expense because of extra time and shipping, but they will tell you that.

Personally though ...... I wouldn't attempt it. Maybe better to take a loss. A straight case has to headspace on that rim. There is no shoulder to form that eventually gives you tight headspace when you shoot it.

I do understand about wildcats today. My dies for the 458X2 would cost over $400 today, but that includes a neck reaming die and reamer. Yep. That's the dies! I lucked into another 3 die set last fall for $30 at a gun show in case I decide to sell one of mine.

What's wrong with the gun? I would suggest trying one of the auction routes too before you do anything. There is someone who would accept the challenge. It is a tough caliber that will make you pull out your hair if you want to hold 1" groups. I am still workin at it anyway.

Bullshop
06-01-2005, 11:20 AM
I agree with Bass, why ruin it? List it on Auction Arms, it just might sell. If you're really desparate, I'll trade you a perfectly good Savage .30-06 for it.
Or a Ruger .44 mag.
Scrounger
The reason I like to sell these big bore rifles localy is to build up a clientel for my boolits. I tend to push the Marlin 45/70 as the best cartridge/rifle for Alaska. The younger breed seem to think that lever guns are too primitive, so I was attemting to provide something more modern (only about a century old) in the bolt gun. We have an anual turn over of newbys that arrive anxious to arm themselves for bear.
Bass
Thanks for your help!
Think I will just offer it with a bunch of ammo so they will think they will never need to buy any. The beauty of the 458x2" is the source for brass,any belted case accept the mutant 450 Marlin. BTW I havent had any trouble loading ammo with the dies I have. A 458 sizer, a 45/70 expander, and I think I used a 30/06 to crimp. Poor folks got poor ways!
BIC/BS

45nut
06-01-2005, 11:59 AM
I have a 458x2" myself,built on a Remmy 1917 Action for me by a smith that went on to build my 416RM,500A2,30-378,375-338,35 Whelen and a coupla other rifles on the big actions.
I got 25 cases with the rifle cut down from 300 WM,Remingtons in this case. He gave me a photocopied data page that I prompty lost and had to ask for again.
Well,I have reloaded those 25 cases some 5 x now with zero issues. Using -------
450 Marlin Lee Dies. 3 die set cost me just under a 20 spot with that lil dipper and the S.H.
Using the blem 45-70 rem 405's I learned early to wear a thick jacket under that steel buttplate. Oh and don't shoot at a 44 mag spinner,unless you just need to destroy it.

beagle
06-01-2005, 10:04 PM
You ought to be able to market that thing up there with some ammo for it.

I have a Springfield rebarrelled to 458 X 2 and it's a shooter. I need to work on the feeding a bit as it will almost feed but needs a little work.

I FL resize with .458 Win Mag dies, expand with a home made M die and seat with a .45/70 seater and crimp with a .45/70 neck sizer. I've been looking for a cheap set of .450 Marlin dies but this works all right and you can make cases from anything.

I'd try to market it like with a bunch of ammo that before I rechambered./beagle

Oldman-Winter
03-21-2006, 03:27 AM
If the shank of the barrel is big enough just rechamber it to 458 Win Mag.

KB291
03-24-2006, 10:47 AM
Bullshop,
That 458X2", was it on a Remington 600 Mag action with a 19 7/8" bbl with Fajen full length stock? Sold the one I had in 1988 and regreatted it ever since. If that's the one I'll buy it.
KB291

Bullshop
03-24-2006, 11:44 AM
Bullshop,
That 458X2", was it on a Remington 600 Mag action with a 19 7/8" bbl with Fajen full length stock? Sold the one I had in 1988 and regreatted it ever since. If that's the one I'll buy it.
KB291
Sorry this one is on one of those rare almost extinct Win mod 70 actions, and is still available.
BIC/BS

carpetman
03-24-2006, 01:30 PM
Bullshop---If your intention is to create more demand for your bullets and to sell it you supply a lifetime of ammo so they don't need high priced dies and don't have to reload----you didnt create a demand for your bullets. Swap with Scrounger and put a 30-06 up there 100 years of proven reliability. When Junior is a little bigger,it should serve him better with jacketed bullets than the one that the scope cut his eye or the moose taking 5 bullets to put them down.

Bullshop
03-24-2006, 05:32 PM
Carpetman
Utter nonsence!!! What he neads is a 72 cal with enough twist to handle a decent weight boolit. Maybe he could use one of them 100 year old small bores to skewer a marshmellow for a stick hole but may not get enough penitration. I once shot a cloud with one and just got a couple drops of water and it moved on and got away. On the other hand I think Noah was using a .72 smooth bore. Yea now thats what I'm talkin about!!! What we need is bigger holes without adjective's
BIC/BS

carpetman
03-24-2006, 10:04 PM
Bullshop---The best I could ascertain,the load that cut Jr's eye had more recoil than a .300 mag. Which in my books is too much for most youngsters and most grown men for that matter,certainly for me. That moose and the one Junior described in his first post did not seem to get what I'd call very good bullet performance. I think the first one was five shots. I've seen exactly two shot with 30-06 jacketed bullets and one was drop on the spot a one shot deal. The other did get two shots,but after it was over,really only one was needed. My experience being limited to two doesnt make me any kind of expert,however,living in Alaska for two years I talked to a whole bunch of hunters and their accounts pretty much paralleled mine. If Jr were using jacketed bullets he wouldn't make a good customer for you,but I doubt you profit much from his purchases anyways.

Bullshop
03-24-2006, 11:33 PM
That settles it then I will get him a blunderbus, and the little boolit moocher can just shoot rocks! o6 I dont think so. The reason they named it that was when they first saw how small it is they said OH! it will take about six to do the job so the name OH 6 got started somewhere in the frist decade of the 1900's. Then somewhere along the line it got shortened to o6. Elmer would tell ya. If it dont leave snot and slobber on the stock when shot it aint enough gun for much other than bumble bees an horse flies. I know what I'm talkin about here just ask my bud Joe, he done said right here that me and him is cut from the same cloth. Dats right ifen we was any closer we would be conjoined. Oh OH maybe a 55 boys would be about right!
BIC/BS

Scrounger
03-25-2006, 12:05 AM
Bullshop, is it just possible that Alaskans are tougher than Texans?

waksupi
03-25-2006, 12:21 AM
Bullshop, is it just possible that Alaskans are tougher than Texans?

Oh! Oh! Fight! Fight! Let me hold someone's coat!

carpetman
03-25-2006, 12:53 AM
snot and slobber on the stock. You missed something. The goal is to quickly and cleanly kill the game. The goal aint to get yourself maimed. It's the other end you want doing the killing. And for 100 years this year, folks have found that the 06 does that. BTW I mentioned only seeing two moose shot with a 30-06,I also saw a one shot drop in it's track from a 25-06,this was by about an 11 year old youngster. This was when the 25-06 was still a wildcat.

Bullshop
03-25-2006, 01:55 AM
UNCLE, UNCLE, I give up. Alright I will get him an oh 6. But it will have to be a double barrel. That way he can pull both triggers and that will be like a 616 cal and thats gotta be close enough. But just one OH! 6 I dont think so. A 616 cal I like the sound of that. Wounder what I could build one on. Lemy think this over sommore I might change one of my mind's again. Wish Elmer was here!
BIC/BS

AkMike
03-25-2006, 02:26 AM
Jest call it a 458 WSM(wimpy short mag.) and tell em that the regular 458 Mag. is too much for newbies and this un's scaled down special fer em.

Frank46
03-25-2006, 03:43 AM
Bullshop, rechamber to the 458 socom round. That way you can use up to 600 grain boolits. But do not know if it will cleanup a 458x2" chamber. Frank