PDA

View Full Version : Pan Lubing after TL JPW/LLA; Even Needed?

Hamish
04-16-2011, 01:15 AM
In the Tumble Lubing Made Easy Thread I had previously posted:

"Being a KISS kind of guy, (OK, OK, I'm LAZY!), the whole cooking it off thing bothered me right off. So,,,,, I pared the recipe down to:
1. Set the can of JPW in a pot with enough water to not quite float the can.
2. Apply heat till it melts and shut heat off.
3. Stir in one small bottle of Alox.

Waah-Laah, Bob's yer uncle. Have used this on .45's, .303, 7.62x54, and 7.92x57 up to 2000 fps. so far.

Second eckspariment in progress:

1. Melt two and one half pounds RandyRat's beeswax.
2. Add one can of mixed JPW/LLA

When hardened it will be soft enough that you can dimple it if you push on it, unlike straight beeswax.
Next step is going to be take one pound of bees/JP/LL and shave it into mixer bowl and add Lucas brand X-TRA Heavy Duty Wheel Bearing Grease. (It's green, for what it's worth, I don't know if this is as good as the super-duper rhino snot thick red stuff for marine applications.)
I like the idea of NOT cooking anything out of recipe because when using it to pan lube it's going to be melted over and over."

Okay, I dorked around yesterday with the 2.5 lb.s BW/1 Can JPW/1 small bottle LLA and melted it down and added *another* bottle LLA to it. Since it seems that this will be good enuf for 2k fps per sources here, my questions are: A. Since I can get the same performance out of TL JPW/LLLA, why should I also pan lube? 2. How will the "Mellow Yellow" act at this point, specifically can it be trusted not to shrink back when it cools in the groove? D. *Approximatly* how many more fps can I expect if I cold mash the Lucas grease into the BW/JPW/LLA?

*****I still have a mental problem with the cooking down thing*********** Intuitively you would think that cooking down any of this stuff would both extract/eliminate *good stuff* and change the molecular composition. I am very hopeful that some of you Lubeular Pioneer Rocket Scientist types will chime in.

And oh BTW, since the commercial is playing on the TV right this very second, Instead of Vaseline for yer lube, what about K-Y Intense for Him and Her??

Rich

DrNick
04-17-2011, 08:43 AM
On a lark, I decided to tumble lube some 180 grain gas checked boolitsthat I had already sized and lubed in a Lyman 450. I was experiencing some mild leading at my chosen velocity (about 1600 fps) and I was astonished to have NO LEADING AT ALL after 50 rounds. I have made up another batch that will be sized and tumble lubed only and will report back on whether the traditional lube is needed at all.