PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 36 Firing Pin

Suo Gan
04-16-2011, 12:21 AM
One of my 36's broke a firing pin, the current model 336 front and rear pin including the spring are a drop in part. Works like a charm. The only real problem that I can see is with the rear pin (if you break this you might be doing something wrong, but I guess it could be lost) The rear pin protrudes just a wee bit further than the OEM old stock pin and therefore at half cock, the hammer is resting on it...if you need to Nicholson makes a great file. No need to spend time calling the used parts houses!!

Hope this helps someone.

Update: I tried the pin in another 36 to be sure of everything, it drops in that one as well, and at half cock the hammer is NOT resting on the firing pin. My first model 36 upon closer inspection has a slightly different and shorter firing pin and closer to the action half cock than my second year model.

So, the point being that this was even a better fit in the second and newer rifle. This could really get someone out of a bind as these pins are fairly rare, and most of them have been welded and ground down several times.

Newtire
04-16-2011, 04:11 PM
I made a new rear pin for my 336 that protruded a bit farther back to solve a misfire problem I was having. Just used a stainless bolt cut off and ground to fit. So far, so good. I'll have to see if it starts mushrooming but so far, nothing yet. It fires every time now.

Suo Gan
04-16-2011, 04:29 PM
I made a new rear pin for my 336 that protruded a bit farther back to solve a misfire problem I was having. Just used a stainless bolt cut off and ground to fit. So far, so good. I'll have to see if it starts mushrooming but so far, nothing yet. It fires every time now.

36's are notorious for misfires. They have two and sometimes 3 grooves cut to adjust spring tension. But the tighter the spring, the harder the hammer is to push down, and therefore makes the action a little harder to cycle. Some folks opt to leave it on the 'loose' setting for everything but hunting, then adjust it to 'tight' when out in the woods.

Your idea might actually work for me so that I don't have to go back and forth, witch can be a pain.

Mid 70's here today, and the sun is HOT, summer almost here. How's it on at the Creek?