PDA

View Full Version : My first mold came in the mail...

Worn_Holster
04-15-2011, 11:39 PM
I got my first mold in the mail today. I pm'd Miha and he had an extra Mihec #503 4 cavity mold which I purchased from him. Now I need all the rest of the stuff to cast with, foremost a melting/casting pot. Soon I'll be casting for my S&W 44 mag!

RobS
04-16-2011, 12:31 AM
And the madness begins.:mrgreen:

SciFiJim
04-16-2011, 12:34 AM
foremost a melting/casting pot.

Look at the thrift store for a 3 quart stainless saucepan. I use this, a dollar store soup ladle and the side burner of an old BBQ to cast with.

GSP7
04-16-2011, 01:22 AM
Can you post a diagram of that bullet, size and weight? Im still learnin ...

It drop at .433-434 ? ?

Whats the group buy thing? You share it and mail it around to each other ?

SciFiJim
04-16-2011, 01:39 AM
Whats the group buy thing?

A group buy is where a group gets together to purchase a certain design (normally not one of their catalog items) mold from a manufacturer. If there are enough people in the buy the manufacturer will waive the setup fees.

Can you post a diagram of that bullet, size and weight? Im still learnin ...

Check the "CASTPICS" link at the bottom of the page. click on the "historic mold catalogs" link and then the "Hensley and Gibbs Molds" link. The #503 is .44 caliber.

Worn_Holster
04-18-2011, 08:50 AM
Specs on this boolit can be found here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=95468
I believe that Miha still has some of these molds available.

EDK
04-18-2011, 10:50 PM
The aluminum six banger cast such good boolits that I bought the brass four cavity mould that you have...like a lot of guys here did. The boolit is a classic and the workmanship on the mould speaks for itself.

GRAFS in Mexico MO has the LEE Magnum Melter ladle pot for around $52...the sister-in-law lives west of there and the little woman has a list to pick up when she goes to visit. I've had a 20 pound SAECO in the 70s and 80s; a 20 pound LYMAN bottom pour; and now the LEE....cheapest of the three. Don't mess with anything less than a 20 pound pot...especially for larger calibers. If the LEE screws up, parts are available; you can give to someone who wants to tinker; or you can see how far you can throw it! I've been running it pretty hard for four years and so far, so good. I'd buy another in a heart beat and recommend it highly.

The best ladle I've had is a HENSLEY & GIBBS that I bought in 1977 or so. It got a new handle and a trip through the sand blaster at work after 30+ years of use.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire: