PDA

View Full Version : dillon SL 900

458lott
12-12-2006, 01:08 AM
has anyone used a dillon shot gun press? i was thinking of loading 12 gauge slugs. any suggestions would be welcome.

garandsrus
12-12-2006, 01:27 AM
458lott,

I use a MEC for loading shotgun shells... They have some nice presses at good prices. Most shotgun shooters I know use MEC presses so they are very mainstream.

John

straightshooter1
12-12-2006, 08:24 AM
I have been thinking about the Dillon. I have a MEC 9000 and still drop shot/powder when I don't want to do so. I am told the Dillon works okay as long as you don't change the wad or hull, etc. It comes set up for AAs. Just use AAs, and there is no problem in 12ga. (at least that's what "they" say).

I am also told that it works best in 12, worst in 28 and that they could not get it to work at all in 410 (so they don't make one).

I plan to buy a 28 O/U since the skeet/5 Stand bug has bitten, so not sure what press I will get.

Spolars are really too expensive, PWs cost about the same as a Dillon and have their supporters and detractors, too.

With my 12ga. MEC, setting aside the (many) annoyances inherent in it, it makes great shells.

Bob

Beau Cassidy
12-12-2006, 01:51 PM
For the cost of a Dillon 900 you will probably like the PW loader much, much better. It's been around a lot longer and they are proven presses. I use one for trap loads and a MEC for occasional 1 1/2 oz. loads. I don't hear any trap and skeet shooters talking about loading shells on Dillon shotgun presses. Those guys are usually a persnickety crowd and generally use some of the best equipment out there.

Beau

AZ Pete
12-15-2006, 12:13 AM
I have been thinking about the Dillon. I have a MEC 9000 and still drop shot/powder when I don't want to do so. I am told the Dillon works okay as long as you don't change the wad or hull, etc. It comes set up for AAs. Just use AAs, and there is no problem in 12ga. (at least that's what "they" say).

I am also told that it works best in 12, worst in 28 and that they could not get it to work at all in 410 (so they don't make one).

I plan to buy a 28 O/U since the skeet/5 Stand bug has bitten, so not sure what press I will get.

Spolars are really too expensive, PWs cost about the same as a Dillon and have their supporters and detractors, too.

With my 12ga. MEC setting aside the (many) annoyances inherent in it, it makes great shells.

Bob

PW has a sale going on now, you can save about $150 on a progressive. Ballistic Products sells PW's cheaper than PW normally.

I have a MEC progressive, and like it well enough, but it does drop shot or powder on occasion. I believe the PW's shot and powder drops are case activated on the progressives. That said, If I was loading slugs, I would just get a single stage MEC and call it good. All the components for slug loading are available from Ballistic Products.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-15-2006, 08:43 AM
458lott,

Before I'd buy a progressive to reload slugs, I'd take a hard look at exactly how many slugs I planned to reload. Buddy of mine wanted to do exactly what you're doing and took a look at the quantities. He bought a used Pacific "in-line" single stage for this purpose. Didn't cost much, had commonality with Hornady (They bought the old Pacific press company.) powder bushings and it worked great for his purposes.

Based on his experience, my son picked up a Pacific progressive (pretty much the same thing as a Hornady shot shell progressive) and brought it to me to set up. I went through it, cleaned it up, lubed and adjusted it. I've been able to crank out about 350 rounds an hour and the thing is built like a tank. Turns out great ammo too.

I'm not too familiar with shotshell reloading, but I think there's some issues related to case crimping when you reload slugs. I'd check into that were I you before making a final decision. It's a bit different than reloading shot if I remember right.

Dave

Beau Cassidy
12-15-2006, 11:51 AM
Want to know your cost per box??? Knock yourself out...

http://www.trapshooters.com/calculators.htm