PDA

View Full Version : 41 long colt factory ammo

Simonpie
04-15-2011, 03:53 PM
So I've got a Colt in 41 LC and the local range has started a vintage class that might be fun to shoot it in. The question is, should I shoot up my box of Winchester Western 200 gr ammo that was made back in the 60s, or buy new cases and reload. If the factory stuff isn't much more valuable than reloading, I'll just use it up, but I know for a while 41LC stuff was super rare. I can source dies and bullets now pretty easy.

Any thoughts?

smkummer
04-16-2011, 02:33 PM
I just found a box of factory yellow boxed winchester priced at $50 at a gun show. If said he wanted $25 for it I would have bought it just to have as I don't have a gun in that caliber. Since factory ammo is now loaded and components are available, then this stuff is more for collectors. Heck, $50 is the price for currently produced 38-40 from winchester.

missionary5155
04-16-2011, 02:45 PM
Good afternoon
Having shot 41 Colt some the best accuracy I found with my model 1895 6" was with a 200 grain heel boolit cast soft and powered by all the 3F I could get in the case.
Search HarryO and you can read all his well researched trials.
Hollow base is probably the best route but I am too stubborn to buy boolits. My 41 Colt molds are lapped out for the fat throats but still the heavy SOFT boolits shoot far better.
The 41 Colt was not known as a terget revolver by the way but for the better stoping power it offered over the 38īs but still in a medium frame which fits my hand so nicely.
Mike in Peru

Simonpie
04-16-2011, 05:56 PM
Thanks guys. I've started shopping around and the modern cowboy action stuff is EXPENSIVE, so I think I'll just shoot this stuff up and work on handloads.

My Wichester ammo is in a plain white box. The yellow box stuff might be pretty old.

williamwaco
04-16-2011, 07:11 PM
There are several web sites specializing in that old ammo. Some of it is worth a small fortune if it is in the original boxes.

See:

http://www.ammo-one.com/41LgColt.html

and

http://www.rtgammo.com/home.html

JASONBURNSDUNDEE
04-16-2011, 08:54 PM
I would keep what you have it sells for roughly 4 dollars a round. It is cheap and easy to make brass from 38 special cases. Just run them through your 41 long colt sizer and load them up as usual. The first shot will fireform them.

Simonpie
04-18-2011, 11:19 AM
Interesting. All the boxes they show seem older than mine. I might just wait and take them by a cartridge show. $4 a shot seems like something I should sell rather than shoot.