PDA

View Full Version : Wood handles for Lyman handles?

MikeS
04-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Hi All.

I have a set of Lyman handles (for 2 cavity moulds) that I need to get the wood handles for them. I emailed Lyman and they said they can't supply them (I guess they just want me to buy new handles), so does anyone know of a good source for the wooden handles?

Freightman
04-15-2011, 01:19 PM
Buy Lee six cavity handles they fit are longer and half price. Or make some from a hard wood dowel.

fryboy
04-15-2011, 01:31 PM
i made a few sets with a lathe but the labor has to be an act of love because there sure isnt even any profit margin , one set i even made longer , the hardwood dowel or lee donor handles work , one can also buy the handles from lee , several other things come to mind such as attaching a piece of pipe and putting a section of hose on it ....

http://leeprecision.com/xcart/6-CAV-WOOD-HND-7-8X6.html

mold maker
04-15-2011, 01:31 PM
Lee also sells the actual wooden handle with the ferrule as a replacement part. They are really low priced and work great.

beagle
04-15-2011, 01:39 PM
I've modified wooden file handles in a pinch/beagle

Suo Gan
04-15-2011, 02:52 PM
Lee also sells the actual wooden handle with the ferrule as a replacement part. They are really low priced and work great.

This is your best option

Dale53
04-15-2011, 04:21 PM
I have also replaced broken handles with dowels of the appropriate size.

In my personal experience, I have never broken a handle until it came loose from the metal. I have taken steps to avoid the wood coming loose from the metal.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=101205

Dale53

midnight
04-15-2011, 04:37 PM
I just used broomsticks to make handles for a Lyman 4 holer, the one with the hinge out front. I screwed a headless lag bolt in one end and chucked it up in the drill press and put the rounded end against the hole in the center of the drill press table. Instant lathe. By the time I finished they are the best looking handles I've got.

Bob

c3d4b2
04-15-2011, 05:00 PM
I do not have a lathe and have trouble drilling a strait hole in an end of a dowel. I ended up getting a set of grill tongs and steeling the handles to make replacements. The handles were the correct diameter and had a pilot hole I used to drill an enlarged hole.

MikeS
04-16-2011, 01:39 AM

Thanks for the info. This is what I did, just ordered 2 of them (they didn't specify if 1 order is 2 pieces of wood, or just 1, so I assumed it was only 1) at $2.00 each, plus $5.00 for shipping.

I bought a set of Lyman 2 cavity mould handles on eBay, paid $15.00 for them. When I got the package in, the handles were there, all nicely packaged, and below them was something else wrapped up. I unwrapped it, and there was another set of handles, without the wood, and they looked like they were brand new, no rust, no scratches on the rivit holding them together, and just a barely noticeable imprint where mould blocks were attached at some time. So adding the $9.00 for the wooden handles to the $15.00 for the original handles purchased and $6.00 for the shipping, and I have 2 nice sets of handles for $30.00 not a bad deal! As I look at these handles more, I'm pretty sure they never had wood handles on the,, as there's not a single scratch from where the wood would have been, and these handles are tighter than any other handles I have, including the ones I bought from the nice person that included these.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-16-2011, 12:52 PM
I do not have a lathe and have trouble drilling a strait hole in an end of a dowel. I ended up getting a set of grill tongs and steeling the handles to make replacements. The handles were the correct diameter and had a pilot hole I used to drill an enlarged hole.

this is a funny coincidence,
at a thrift shop, I recently bought a outdoor fork for grilling.
it has a beautiful oak wooden handle that is just
waiting to be removed and modified for my next tool
that needs of a handle.
only 25¢
Jon