PDA

View Full Version : M94 AE missfires?

Larry Gibson
04-15-2011, 11:33 AM
A while back there was a thread by some one who was having missfires with their M94 AE 30-30. Not sure if it was ever cured. I had missfires with mine also and thought I had it fixed but it started acting up again.

Mine began missfiring 2 -3 shots per 10 rounds or so, nothing consistent. I noticed on the missfires that the firing pin was just lightly striking the primer. I've solved the problem on mine. If you, whomever you are, haven't yet then answer back and we can conflab on it.

Larry Gibson

Wally
04-15-2011, 11:43 AM
Mine no longer ejects cases and is a .44 Magnum caliber--any suggestions?

Bula
04-15-2011, 01:01 PM
Very timely post, my 30-30 just started with the light primer strikes too. I stripped it down this week and cleaned/oiled everything. Will give it a try this weekend. I don't like that rebounding hammer, and suspect it is the culprpit.

Larry, what did you discover?

Larry Gibson
04-15-2011, 01:57 PM

Wally

If it is extracting and not ejecting first make sure the ejector is not broken. If not broken then take a look at the coil spring that drives the ejector. It's visable on the underside of the bolt. The coil spring may be broken or jammed by debri. If jammed cleaning out, a small pointed dental pick works well plus a a good spray cleaner. Are you familiar with disassembly of the M94? It's not as complicated as it seems and is the best way to clean the action every so often (I do mine every couple years unless they really get a soaking from rain). The ejector should be a hard push in and out and should move freely. If it does that then take a look and see if the extractor is not boken or bent.

Larry Gibson

Wally
04-15-2011, 02:06 PM
It extracts just fine...I have never took apart the inards of the action on it---I have done so with three Marlin LA guns. I suspect that the ejector is missing as there is no ejector stem that I can se in mine. When you fire the gun and work the lever, the shell extracts, but doesn't eject.

Larry Gibson
04-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Very timely post, my 30-30 just started with the light primer strikes too. I stripped it down this week and cleaned/oiled everything. Will give it a try this weekend. I don't like that rebounding hammer, and suspect it is the culprpit.

Larry, what did you discover?

When I got the rifle a couple three years ago it would missfire which is why I suspected it was for sale and the price was right. I shortened the bottom legs on the strut and altered the push safety so the hammer was not hitting it. That seemed to solve the problem for mine until recently when I used some loads with NS'd cases. That's when the rifle started missfiring again on 2 -3 rounds per 10 rounds. After some frustration (isn't that always the case) I found that the rifle would fire every time if I held the left FIRMLY closed and pulled to the right. Also I noticed that the firing pin could rotate about 10-15 degrees right or left in the bolt. It would missfire when rotated to the left. This was telling me that the firing pin was hitting something or binding on those shots that missfired and gave light firing pin strikes.

On disassembly and under close inspection with a magnifier I could see where the firing pin would just barely strike the lever extension. It was hard to see the mark on the edge of the lever extension without the magnifier but it sure was there. I beveled the edge of the lever extension and also that part of the firing pin that was striking it. I also cleaned out the firing pin hole and used a stone to remove all other burrs (surprisning how many there are you don't see until you start stoning) from the edges and rubbing surfaces of the firing pin.

I reassembled the M94 and fired 55 shots without a single missfire. I've loaded 150 more rounds and will shoot some more today. I can take some photo's of the bevel on the lever extension and firing pin (didn't take much) if you want and post them later today or tomorrow?

Larry Gibson

Larry Gibson
04-15-2011, 02:15 PM
It extracts just fine...I have never took apart the inards of the action on it---I have done so with three Marlin LA guns. I suspect that the ejector is missing as there is no ejector stem that I can se in mine. When you fire the gun and work the lever, the shell extracts, but doesn't eject.

The ejector on the M94AE is very pronounced and obvious. If you can see it then that is the problem. It's either jammed back, broken off or missing entirely. Any questions regarding disassembly give a shout.

Larry Gibson

CATS
04-15-2011, 03:06 PM
Larry,
If you could post a few picks of where you stoned the firing pin and what it was hitting on would be a help. Thanks!
CATS

fecmech
04-15-2011, 03:35 PM

The "cheezy" cast ejector has probably broken. I've replaced 3 in my .357 AE. Someday I'm going to braze a piece of drill rod on a broken one to cure it. You can order them from Browning parts, if you do order 2 or 3 and the spring, the shipping is the expensive part. Part number for .44 ejector is: U341850250 and on my list it's $5.25. Spring is U346401830 and price is $1.50.

PS. Last week at a gun show I bought the complete set of pre64 model 94 action parts for $40. I can now replace that lousy rebounding trigger and hammer set up with the old half cock set up and get a decent 2 lb. trigger!

Wally
04-15-2011, 03:46 PM
The "cheezy" cast ejector has probably broken. I've replaced 3 in my .357 AE. Someday I'm going to braze a piece of drill rod on a broken one to cure it. You can order them from Browning parts, if you do order 2 or 3 and the spring, the shipping is the expensive part. Part number for .44 ejector is: U341850250 and on my list it's $5.25. Spring is U346401830 and price is $1.50.

Thank you...I have gotten use to it not being there---at least I don't have to retrieve spent cases that have been ejected to the ground.

Bula
04-15-2011, 05:33 PM
Very kind of you Larry, pics would be great. How about some of the bottom legs of the hammer strut? I looked at the 86 Miroku version online, and my strut is completely different. Also, mine has the top tang safety, does that change anything?

Larry Gibson
04-16-2011, 01:09 PM
Bula

I've no idea how the top tang safety may or may not change anything. Here's a pic of my M94s strut.

Larry Gibson

Larry Gibson
04-16-2011, 01:12 PM
Wally

Here's what the extractor on my bolt looks like.

Larry Gibson

Larry Gibson
04-16-2011, 01:23 PM
Larry,
If you could post a few picks of where you stoned the firing pin and what it was hitting on would be a help. Thanks!
CATS

Here's the pics, I used the pencil as a pointer. Note the beveled area and also I rounded all the edges in the side cut outs.

So far to meet with success I've done the following mods;

Shortened bottem legs so there is barely any rebound.

Modified a nut to give the spring all the compression possible. Drillout the hole about half way so spring rear fits into it.

Filed the face of the hammer so it mates with the lock plate as it was hitting at an angle.

Deburred the firing pin and beveled and rounded edges to make sure it didn't rub or catch on the lever extension.

So far as of the last shooting test it works. I will get out in the next several days and shoot another hundred rounds or so and report back.

Don't hesitate to ask questions or offer help as i really like this M94AE and want it to be reliable.

Larry Gibson

Newtire
04-16-2011, 04:07 PM
Hi Larry,

I got rid of all the misfires by eliminating the rebounding hammer feature. I also took out the crossbolt safety and plugged the holes with funiture plugs. (plastic but same color as receiver). Last thing to do on that rifle is finish with the modifying of the M64 stock I'm putting on it and put it back in the lineup. Getting the buttstock inletting done is trying my brain! Right now I can't do much due to some problems with being too busy at work and trying to get ready to have my knee replaced.

Thanks for reminding me of it!

grubbylabs
04-18-2011, 10:44 AM
I have a new to me 94 AE in .444, does any one know if there are a set of disassemble instructions for this rifle? I know all of you say that it is not as difficult as it seems but I would feel a lot better about doing some of this work if I had instructions or a video that shows the steps or some thing.

Thanks

Larry Gibson
04-18-2011, 12:28 PM
The action itself is pretty much the same as for the older M94 except for the extractor in the bolt which you shouldn't have to remove anyway and the mainspring assembly which isn't hard to figure out. If you can't find any instructions I can scan some and email them. We can talk you through the rest pretty easily here. Do you know how to disassemble the older M94?

Larry Gibson

grubbylabs
04-18-2011, 02:02 PM
This is the first lever gun I have ever owned, so I don't know much about them.

sh00ter787
04-18-2011, 02:56 PM
I have always used the following article that I scanned out of a magazine many years ago!

I too prefer step by step instructions, although the internet is normally my goto now

http://www.andy787.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/94AE_Strip%20Down.jpg

Bula
04-18-2011, 03:01 PM
Larry, thank You. These are great pics. Now, how much of the lower legs did you get rid of on the strut?

grubbylabs
04-18-2011, 05:08 PM
Wow thank you very much for illustrated steps that is a great tool

Larry Gibson
04-18-2011, 07:50 PM
Larry, thank You. These are great pics. Now, how much of the lower legs did you get rid of on the strut?

I wish I would have measured and recorded the amount removed but I didn't. I just started removing a little at a time and trying it (you get pretty good at putting that darn spring back in:x). I removed just enough so when the face of the hammer was all the way against the locking block (make sure you square the hammer face to the locking block if it needs it first) there was just a slight tension on the hammer from the lower legs. Probably took 8 maybe 10 trys to get it right but you can't put it back on so I took it off slow. You probably could slightly shorten the upper legs if you do go too far on the lower legs though.

Larry Gibson

Larry Gibson
04-18-2011, 07:51 PM
Wow thank you very much for illustrated steps that is a great tool

There you go, always great help available on this forum:drinks:

Larry Gibson

AnthonyB
04-18-2011, 07:56 PM
This is a great thread for me. I have a BB in 356 Winchester that is a favorite but sometimes fails to fire. I will be making Larry's mods to the firing pin next time I have it apart.
Tony

Bula
04-19-2011, 01:13 PM
This is great, thanks guys.

Larry Gibson
04-20-2011, 04:42 PM
Shot 96 rounds yesterday without a single misfire[smilie=s:

Larry Gibson

grubbylabs
04-21-2011, 08:36 AM
Ya well I worked all day yesterday without a single misfire and only one hang fire:guntootsmiley:

Larry Gibson
04-21-2011, 11:29 AM
Assuming your "gun" for fun[smilie=s: & [smilie=l:

Larry Gibson

NHlever
04-21-2011, 03:22 PM
I've tried a few of the new rebounding hammer 94"s, and they all misfired at one time, or another. One obvious thing that I've seen on a few of them is that the factory supplied hammer extension runs into the receiver, and shortens the hammer travel enough to cause misfires. Many of the used 94 AE's that I've seen in gun stores have a little shiny spot on the right rear top side of the action where the extension has been hitting.

grubbylabs
05-20-2011, 11:13 AM
Well I finally dove in last night and I think I found one problem, there was spring that was out of place. But wow what an adventure. I routinely take cars apart and put them back to gather and a few of them even start afterwards but that was interesting.

Does any one have any advise on where to buy a whole new trigger assembly for that? Is there any way to improve the trigger on it?

Larry can you either email me the picks you had posted or repost them with some explanation of what you did and why you did it?

Thanks for all the help and encouragement so far.:drinks:

Larry Gibson
05-22-2011, 11:15 AM
Here's the pics, I used the pencil as a pointer. Note the beveled area and also I rounded all the edges in the side cut outs.

So far to meet with success I've done the following mods;

Shortened bottem legs so there is barely any rebound.

Modified a nut to give the spring all the compression possible. Drillout the hole about half way so spring rear fits into it.

Filed the face of the hammer so it mates with the lock plate as it was hitting at an angle.

Deburred the firing pin and beveled and rounded edges to make sure it didn't rub or catch on the lever extension.

So far as of the last shooting test it works. I will get out in the next several days and shoot another hundred rounds or so and report back.

Don't hesitate to ask questions or offer help as i really like this M94AE and want it to be reliable.

Larry Gibson

Here's the pictures again. Don't hesitate to ask specific questions.

Larry Gibson

grubbylabs
05-23-2011, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the pics Larry[smilie=s: