PDA

View Full Version : rolling your own cigarettes

frankenfab
04-14-2011, 09:32 PM
Does anybody else roll their own? I did it for a while about 10 years ago, when the state legislature passed an extra .50 tax per pack. I did it then for financial reasons because I was pissed about the tax.

I have started rolling my own again becuase the new "Fire Safety Cigarettes" (FSC) really make my throat hurt.

I got the idea to ask from the thread about growing tobacco. Maybe the government is trying to modify our behavior, or just kill all the smokers by making the factory smokes worse than ever!

A lecture on quitting smoking is not needed. I don't resent people who don't smoke, and will gladly smoke away from people who don't like it.

I am using the TOP brand products. My Grampa smoked Prince Albert in a can.

Shiloh
04-14-2011, 09:59 PM
I did when I smoked. Smoked BUGLER Brand tobacco, sometimes TOP Brand and rolled by hand and sometimes with a rolling machine. Rolling by hand eliminated carrying the machine. Just papers and tobacco. Quit smoking about 25 years ago. Quit drinking 24 years ago.

Bugler used to be 13 cents a package complete with 36 papers. It's about $4 bucks now!!

I have seen that there are more folks growing there own tobacco now.

Shiloh

stubshaft
04-14-2011, 10:10 PM
I still do Frank. Nowadays I just get the tubes and "pipe" tobacco and roll them in the evening. Haven't forgotten how to roll them by hand but, it's just that the filtered tubes makes it so much easier. Works out to about $19.90 a carton.

oksmle
04-14-2011, 11:47 PM
I haven't rolled one since the early eightys when I changed over to a corn cob pipe. After your post I got a sheet of OCB & rolled some pipe tobacco. Still have the knack. Dumped it into my pipe & am smoking as I type. Mrs. oksmle got tired of me burning holes in shirts when I rolled my own. That was another inducement (big one) to change.

waksupi
04-15-2011, 12:10 AM
If you want to go old school, roll with corn husks.

Von Gruff
04-15-2011, 12:58 AM
I started smoking in about 1957 - 58 when I was about 5 or 6. It was all roll your own then because that was what dad smoked and what I could get from his packets. They would be waxed paper in a cardboard box ( about 2 oz a box) We could get enough for about 6-7 rool-ups a box before dad got to it and he wouldn't notice. He went through 2 1/2 boxes a week so we had suficient untill I started workin after school and bought my own. Always rolled my own and couldn't get used to the taste of 'store bought'. Gave up tobacco (finally) and alchahol over 10 years ago, and while I don.t miss either, I do miss the rolloing process.

Von Gruff.

Lloyd Smale
04-15-2011, 07:20 AM
25 days and counting on this attempt to quit. Got to do it this time!

randyrat
04-15-2011, 07:49 AM
I used to buy So called "pipe tobacco" ON LINE I had it down to $7-10 a carton. I rolled with tubes that had a filter. when I was on the road I would roll by hand.
I bought 3-4 lbs at a time and cut the shipping cost to zero and also cut out the middle man.
A "TOP O MATIC" automatic machine would make the best cigs ever. These machines also lasted the longest.
I quit over a year ago. I'd never want to go through that again.. Nothing worse than trying to quit smoking. I still think I want one once in a while, little monkey claw scares.
Hang in there Loyd.

beanflip
04-15-2011, 09:55 AM

Good for you Lloyd!!!!! ----> :awesome:

Almost 6 years for my wife and I since we QUIT.

475BH
04-15-2011, 10:06 AM
+1 for using pipe tobacco. I use a rolling machine and have the best smelling/tasting cigs around.
BTW Captain Black Royal is some smooth stuff.

blaser.306
04-15-2011, 10:15 AM
Just for comparison ! Pipe tobacco here in Canada ( Saskatchewan ) costs $ 239.20 per lb and the ( cheap ) cigars that I smoke that are available from US duty free for around $50.00 per box of 25 sticks cost $ 347.00 . I just think of the toys that could be had , But somehow SWMBO has a way of making "Extra " funds just dissapear on foolish things like bills and groceries ETC. Now I'm sad ! Better go smoke !

GRUMPA
04-15-2011, 10:20 AM
The missus and I rolled our own for years, that is until big brother decided to tax the living heck out of it. We resorted to smoking some little cigars that are exempt from the tax at about $30 per carton. We were at a friends house the other day who smokes and he informed us of some kind of light pipe tobacco he just started using at $15.38 lb. and can get some mileage from a pound of this stuff. Only comes from one source up here (extremely rural) so the next time I feel like driving the 35mi to go and get it or until I run out of the other stuff I'll have to give it a try.

No_1
04-15-2011, 11:02 AM
It has been about 7 weeks for me. I do not crave the cigs but sure would like to have one evey once in a while. I have "seriously" quit 2 times before, once for 11 months and once for 1 1/2 years. This time is forever. I refuse to pay the extra tax.

Hang in Lloyd, you can do it!

R.

I used to buy So called "pipe tobacco" ON LINE I had it down to $7-10 a carton. I rolled with tubes that had a filter. when I was on the road I would roll by hand.
I bought 3-4 lbs at a time and cut the shipping cost to zero and also cut out the middle man.
A "TOP O MATIC" automatic machine would make the best cigs ever. These machines also lasted the longest.
I quit over a year ago. I'd never want to go through that again.. Nothing worse than trying to quit smoking. I still think I want one once in a while, little monkey claw scares.
Hang in there Loyd.

Good for you Lloyd!!!!! ----> :awesome:

Almost 6 years for my wife and I since we QUIT.

DIRT Farmer
04-15-2011, 11:44 AM
I rolled with OCB papers, and smoked a pipe, but generaly had store bought at work. Hospital security put a camera on the smoking area when they found the butts and I was called for several wizz quizes before they belived me. The PC police "offered" me several quit smoking classes, I was able to quit after I left the hospital. Those blasted signs that reminded me I needed to smoke before I crossed the property line make it hard to quit. 4 1/2 years and not counting much. It did make rolling lead much easier to learn though.

Shiloh
04-15-2011, 11:52 AM

You have my utmost and wholehearted support. It is hard but can be done.
Perseverance my friend, and if you fall off the wagon, climb back on.

Best Regards, Shiloh

beanflip
04-15-2011, 09:26 PM
no 1 7 weeks and no smokin you got it whipped.

If you happen to get stressed out before reachin to get a cig take 3 big breaths an exhale slowly.

You can do it.

Von Gruff
04-16-2011, 12:59 AM
The biggest thing about "quitting" is not to come at it from the perspective of giving up smoking as that means you are trying not to do something that has been habitual. Instead come at it from the direction of now being a non smoker who may feel craveing for a smoke on ocassions, a non smoker dosent smoke so it is easier not to. The cravings only come five minute 'waves' and by reminding yourself that you are a non-smoker the desire soon goes......till the next wave
Concentrating on the "I dont" rather than the "I wont" takes the will power aspect out of the fight.

Von Gruff.

nanuk
04-16-2011, 10:20 AM
Von Gruff, a friend of mine tried several times to "QUIT" drinking.... couldn't do it.

one day she says, "I"m not gonna "Quit", I'm just gonna "Not drink right now" for awhile...

so she went about her days just "Not having a drink Right Now...." and that was over 20 years ago.

seems perception and attitude do make a difference to some

I'm lucky that my monkey died when I was 11

nanuk
04-16-2011, 10:23 AM
I am using the TOP brand products. My Grampa smoked Prince Albert in a can.

I know someone who used to smoke in the Prince Albert Can! (aka Federal Maximun Security Penitentiary)

Lloyd Smale
04-17-2011, 07:10 AM
dont feel bad. I quit for 16 years and started again about 6 years ago. Found out that what they say is true. Once addicted allways addicted. I bought one pack of cigerttes at hunting camp that year and that was that. I was right back at them as strongly as ever. Made a few half hearted attemps in the last year but this time ive got my mind set on it. Good luck to you too pal!!!
It has been about 7 weeks for me. I do not crave the cigs but sure would like to have one evey once in a while. I have "seriously" quit 2 times before, once for 11 months and once for 1 1/2 years. This time is forever. I refuse to pay the extra tax.

Hang in Lloyd, you can do it!

R.

10 ga
04-17-2011, 10:01 PM
I have a pack of bugler in the Carhart coat and a pack of gambler in the carhart jacket. Stick with the limit of 1 roll a day! OOHHhhhh so good! 10

Crash_Corrigan
04-18-2011, 05:02 AM
Many years ago I was working at selling cars but nobody was buying in 1990 in NM. I needed some milk and cigarettes. I compromised by buying a half gallon of milk instead of a gallon and I bought a packet of Drum cigarette tobacco that came with 50 rolling papers.

I had a few bad smokes because of my lack of ability but I perservered and finally got the knack and I have been smoking hand rolled butts for 21 years.

Lately I have found some good tobacco in an Indian store that is labeled as pipe tobacco but it makes a good smoke. It is selling for about $17 a pound and that much tobacco lasts me well over a month. Bugler papers are the cheapest and I get a packet of 115 papers for about 80 cents.

Yeah all my shirts have holes in them....so what....

LUCKYDAWG13
04-18-2011, 05:49 AM

good for you i quit just over ten years ago . so i put $50. bucks in my stash each week and buy a new toy in april thats when i quit :awesome: :Bright idea:

lead-1
04-19-2011, 02:28 AM
Next month will be seven years smoke free and because of other health reasons I can't say that I feel any better. Good luck to everyone trying to quit, I wish you the best. My downfall to quitting was the gain of seventy pounds and not being able to physically counter it.

bearcove
04-30-2011, 09:53 PM
Stay away from the beer. That and going into a bar make me think about a smoke.

grisy11
04-30-2011, 10:57 PM
i have been trying to Quit for 6 weeks now and the last 3 days i have not had a smoke and then today my dad p&ssed me off all day so that dint work the best for me lol better luck tomarrow
grisy11

Mossy Nugget
05-01-2011, 12:22 AM
dont feel bad. I quit for 16 years and started again about 6 years ago. Found out that what they say is true. Once addicted allways addicted. I bought one pack of cigerttes at hunting camp that year and that was that. I was right back at them as strongly as ever. Made a few half hearted attemps in the last year but this time ive got my mind set on it. Good luck to you too pal!!!

Ain't that the truth. I quit most recently in 1999, but I have a loooong history of starting up again. The re-starting thought process is: "I'm stressed, one won't hook me". A week later, "I didn't get hooked last week, one more won't hook me". The next weekend, "I got away with smoking the last two, surely this one can't hook me". Etc. Etc. Soon, my friends are thinking I am a bum, so I might as well buy a pack, can't keep asking for theirs....Eventually I am smoking a pack a day or more having fully convinced myself that I won't get hooked again!!! Even after ten years I get cravings, but they pass in a few minutes. One cigarette will lead me right back every time. I am always in danger of starting up again. All it takes is one. Addicts lie to themselves. The trick is that I don't believe me any more!

mroliver77
05-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Ain't that the truth. I quit most recently in 1999, but I have a loooong history of starting up again. The re-starting thought process is: "I'm stressed, one won't hook me". A week later, "I didn't get hooked last week, one more won't hook me". The next weekend, "I got away with smoking the last two, surely this one can't hook me". Etc. Etc. Soon, my friends are thinking I am a bum, so I might as well buy a pack, can't keep asking for theirs....Eventually I am smoking a pack a day or more having fully convinced myself that I won't get hooked again!!! Even after ten years I get cravings, but they pass in a few minutes. One cigarette will lead me right back every time. I am always in danger of starting up again. All it takes is one. Addicts lie to themselves. The trick is that I don't believe me any more!

Sorry about adding to the thread drift. Mossy Nugget is right. I realized that I was a DRUG ADDICT and the DRUG was controlling me! I also could not stand the fact that smokes were up to $1.00 a pack and the Gov was getting half of that in taxes!

I quit hundreds of times! :violin: Then my Dad died.( from smoking) I got bronchitis so bad I thought I would die. I could not smoke for ten days. Somebody lit one and the smell gagged me. I decided then that it was time. I had been not drinking for a few years by using a 12 step program. I applied the principles to my nicotine addiction and have been smoke free for around 15 years. There are still rare flashes of a smoke sounding good. I see it as satan checking in to see if I have slipped. :evil:

Jay

Lee
05-03-2011, 10:12 PM
I quit 28 years ago. Right after my son was born. Right after I woke up in the morning, half out of breath, reaching for "the pack", tears streaming down my cheeks, barely able to light up w/o wheezing.
(Also shortly after my oldest daughter made a wise-ass comment, booked it out of the living room, took off up the stairs, slammed the bedroom door, and dived under her bed. All the while I was chasing her to get in a good lick. Halfway up the stairs, out of breath, I decided that wasn't going to work!!!:D)
Guys, if you don't REALLY want to quit, all the magnetism, hypnotism. and hinduism in the world won't help.
Those who have quit, know what I mean.
Those who have quit, and are trying to quit... GOOD FOR YOU!
Keep working at it.
There are many other addictions to stay hooked on..like lead casting:D
The physical addiction stops within weeks.
The psychological addicition takes months or years.
Go long enough and a chronic smoker will stink when he approaches.
P.S. The kids don't smoke, having seen me quit. They alll turned out all right, even the one who dove under the bed! She's about to make me a Grandpa. All Thanks to quitting smoking!)
I'd surely be dead by now if I hadn't quit. 3 packs a day, boys, 3 packs a day.

Multigunner
05-04-2011, 12:10 AM
Don't bother with the Nicotine patches. No matter how carefully you roll them up they won't stay lit, and taste so bad you will have a hard time finishing one.

No_1
05-04-2011, 10:57 AM
Hi Lloyd,

I am still hanging tough at the 10 1/2 week point, how about you pal?

Robert

mold maker
05-04-2011, 11:38 AM
After 17 years smoke free, I still fondly remember lighting up with a cup of joe, after a meal. Then I smell someone else light up and I gag.
I quit twice. The first time I gained up to 297 and decided not to kill my pallbearers. Smoked for a year while I lost to 210. Now I eat more sensibly and don't smoke.

Lloyd, it is probably the hardest thing, you ever did of your own accord, but well worth the fight. Soon you'll smell it on others and wonder if you smelled like that. Then the odder will become repulsive, and you will wish you had quit much sooner.
BE DETERMINED,,,,,,,,you WILL succeed.