PDA

View Full Version : 45ACP identify please.......

HiVelocity
04-14-2011, 07:01 PM
Folks,

I just went through about 1000 rounds of clean, tumbled, and deprimed 45 ACP brass.

Out of all the brass, I found one I've never seen before. (See Photo) Its a 45 ACP case made by Winchester with an NT headstamp beside the "WIN".

I don't want to sound stupid, but, I"ve never seen anything like this. Its a 45 case that takes a small pistol primer. Also, is there any significance to the "NT" addition?

HV in SC:bigsmyl2:

Missoulaz28
04-14-2011, 07:05 PM
Non-Toxic is what the NT stands for, they use small pistol primers for some reason beyond me. Really annoying to not notice it until its in the press with a primer jammed somewhere it shouldn't be.

biker_trash_1340
04-14-2011, 07:12 PM
From what I understand it's made for indoor ranges.

HiVelocity
04-14-2011, 07:16 PM
See! I knew I could count on you all to educate me.

Yep, I found the "culprit" while I was hand priming while reading posts on this website. I lightly touched the primer and felt the ram hit hard and no primer seat.

I decided to check for an obstruction before trying again, and found out why.

Thanks to all,

HV in SC

PS- Now to "Make the lead run hot!" [smilie=w:

mroliver77
04-14-2011, 10:20 PM
I have 1000 of these put back in case of a primer shortage.

My pal was worried during the last primer shortage that he would not be able to shoot his 1911. He had small pistol and small rifle primers. Both of these will work in the NT cases. He rested better when I informed him of my stash.

I don't know abolut now but a couple years ago these cases were cheap.
Jay

mdi
04-15-2011, 11:37 AM
Small primer 45 ACP brass is showing up more and more. No big deal to me as I inspect my brass before I do anything to it...

wiljen
04-15-2011, 11:58 AM
I'm mildly surprised there hasn't been a bigger push by manufacturers to standardize on a single size primer for pistol cartridges and one for rifle cartridges. I know some like the 25 ACP would have to remain small, but with the priming compounds available now is there really an instance where you can't get enough heat out of a small primer to light a charge?

HiVelocity
04-15-2011, 05:37 PM
Personally,

I'd like to see 45ACP standardized with small pistol primers. That way I can stock up on both small pistol and rifle and if things get tough, I can use either.

I remember many years ago the speed shooters would only use SRP's in 38 super and 9mm in speed shoots. Supposedly, that's all they could get (at the time) and burned a tad hotter than the SPP's.

HV:smile: