PDA

View Full Version : How long to wait after casting?

seaboss
04-14-2011, 02:33 PM
Hello,

New guy here. I've been reloading for over 15 years, but just recently started casting for the 9mm, 38 special/.357, and 45 ACP. What took me so long? I can't describe the joy I get when I cast pretty good boolets for an amateur.
The question I have is, after the boolets are cast, how long should I wait to tumble lube? I use LLA.

Thank you so much, and enjoy the day

Doby45
04-14-2011, 02:43 PM
You should wait till you get them in the bowl, no sooner. ;) Seriously, you can tumble lube them right when you are done if ya want.

waksupi
04-14-2011, 03:01 PM
I did some for my Makarov yesterday, that were still hot.

Blammer
04-14-2011, 05:01 PM
I'd wait about 30 mins to make sure the boolits are cool enough they won't melt the mixing bowl.

shooting on a shoestring
04-14-2011, 07:45 PM
I bought a toaster oven at a thrift shop for about $5 or so. I warm up my boolits before TL'ing, seems to help get a thin even coat. Then I pop them back in the toaster oven for 15 to 20 minutes to cure them, drive off the solvent. Then can be loaded as soon as they are cool enough to pick up.

Love Life
04-14-2011, 08:05 PM
+1 Blammer. Nothing worse than looking at the boolits on the ground and the hole melted through the butter dish.

stubshaft
04-14-2011, 09:22 PM
+1 Blammer. Nothing worse than looking at the boolits on the ground and the hole melted through the butter dish.

That there's your problem! You used a run of the mill butter dish when everyone knows you need GENUINE Tuppaware! :bigsmyl2:

seaboss
04-14-2011, 09:23 PM
Thank you so much for the replies.
This can really become addicting. Being new at this, I started out with the Lee 2-cavity molds. To increase my volume, I'm not sure if I want to buy the Lee 6-cavity or go for the RCBS or Lyman higher capacity molds. Any thoughts on this?

Thank you again!

waksupi
04-15-2011, 12:25 AM
Don't go over a six cavity mold. Sure, lots of boolits fast, but the bigger molds can be heavy sumbeeches.

Echo
04-15-2011, 01:20 AM
And bigger molds can outrun a 10-lb furnace, especially molds for big boo's (hard to call a 250-gr 45 a boo-lette - I call 'em boo's).

badbob454
04-15-2011, 01:52 AM
I did some for my Makarov yesterday, that were still hot.

i cannot find an affordable 9 makarov sizer i have the lee bullet mold but no lee dies are available , do you size yours Waksupi ? i havent reloaded the gun yet seems to feed any bullet good... that i have bought .. i have an east german gun very nice and accuurraatte best semiauto handgun i have for accuracy

badbob454
04-15-2011, 01:54 AM
I bought a toaster oven at a thrift shop for about $5 or so. I warm up my boolits before TL'ing, seems to help get a thin even coat. Then I pop them back in the toaster oven for 15 to 20 minutes to cure them, drive off the solvent. Then can be loaded as soon as they are cool enough to pick up.

shoestring .. you do know solvent is flammable hope you are not doing this near a large quantity of powder

badbob454
04-15-2011, 01:58 AM
Thank you so much for the replies.
This can really become addicting. Being new at this, I started out with the Lee 2-cavity molds. To increase my volume, I'm not sure if I want to buy the Lee 6-cavity or go for the RCBS or Lyman higher capacity molds. Any thoughts on this?

Thank you again!

4-6 cavity is great to work with .. start hitting the tire stores in your area for used wheelweights learn about the different types , and save the lead clipons and the lead stickons , while you can ,.... may be gone soon !

noylj
04-15-2011, 03:35 AM
Have you considered a mineral spirit/LLA/JPW quench, with a basket to raise the bullets?
Maybe a water/Rooster Lube quench?

steg
04-15-2011, 04:46 AM
I use a fan on em right after tumbling them, stir em up about every hour or so, and in a few hours their ready to load.....................steg

quack1
04-15-2011, 07:22 AM
i cannot find an affordable 9 makarov sizer i have the lee bullet mold but no lee dies are available , do you size yours Waksupi ? i havent reloaded the gun yet seems to feed any bullet good... that i have bought .. i have an east german gun very nice and accuurraatte best semiauto handgun i have for accuracy

I'm not Waksupi, but I have the lee Makarov mold and I don't size them. Just roll around in LLA and let dry. They feed and shoot good.

songdog53
04-15-2011, 11:14 AM
Welcome to world of casting and is very addicting and besides so much fun to shoot the boolits you cast.

waksupi
04-15-2011, 11:17 AM
I'm not Waksupi, but I have the lee Makarov mold and I don't size them. Just roll around in LLA and let dry. They feed and shoot good.

Ditto!

badbob454
04-15-2011, 10:31 PM
thanks for the heads up on makarov any loads you prefer ?