PDA

View Full Version : accurate mold

silerlock
04-14-2011, 12:53 PM
I recently bought a lyman 225 grain round nose mold for my .45 and it molds bullets too small and the profile above the lube band is way under size. I'm not happy with the mold, so I'm sending it back. I really like the looks of the accurate molds. I want the bullets to size to .452 would a .453 Dia. mold be the ticket?

I'm casting with wheel weights

w30wcf
04-14-2011, 01:38 PM
The Accurate mold tolerance is -.000 + .0015 in your alloy so I would spec a .452"
diameter bullet knowihg that the bullet will cast .452" up to .4535" diameter depending on the finished dimensions of the mold.

w30wcf

bigboredad
04-14-2011, 01:52 PM
Tom will cut the mold to what ever diameter you want. You tell him your alloy and he'll do want you want. Personally I want my bullets to be sized by the sizer so I spec my mold out a touch over size so after I run them thru the sizer I know they are all the same size. For me that works best and In my guns .454 has been the best size for all my .45's even get this my .45 acp xd prefers .454

cajun shooter
04-15-2011, 11:15 AM
Tom makes some great moulds and I have gotten three from him in brass. Everyone has a different way of doing things. When I was shooting 45 Colt USFA revolvers in SASS matches I had two moulds made by Hoch moulds. I use the same 20-1 alloy for all my shooting these days. My revolvers slugged out at .4525 which is almost dead on .453 I prefer my mould drops bullets larger than needed so that my Star Dies size them to what I need. This assures my bullets to be concentric as many out of any mould are not. If your gun slugs 452 then I would at least request bullets of .453 or even .454 You should send your mould maker a slugged bullet and a ample amount of your alloy to make sure you receive the best possible mould. The cylinder should also be checked and not just the bore. You do your part and Tom will make you a mould that may be handed down. His are true works of art in the brass. I have been casting for many years (1970) and until I ordered my brass moulds from tom I had never used any brass except for ball ammo. I wish I had done it years before.

white eagle
04-15-2011, 11:40 AM
why do you think they call em Accurate ???
I must have a dozen or so molds and most happen to be from Tom
like the others have said you let him know what you want and he will do
a good job for ya
what are ya looking for I may have a brass mold from Tom that I may sell
To much lappage (boolits to close in weight)
Pm me if you are interested and welcome to the machine

BulletFactory
04-15-2011, 01:24 PM
I have one, would buy another, and wouldn't think of buying a "factory" mold again.

doubledown
04-15-2011, 01:56 PM
I have one of Toms molds in .432 and just ordered two more in .477 all are aluminum. His customer service and turnaround time are as impressive as his molds.

geargnasher
04-15-2011, 02:10 PM
Tom will cut the mold to what ever diameter you want. You tell him your alloy and he'll do want you want. Personally I want my bullets to be sized by the sizer so I spec my mold out a touch over size so after I run them thru the sizer I know they are all the same size. For me that works best and In my guns .454 has been the best size for all my .45's even get this my .45 acp xd prefers .454

Exactly the way I do it. I've found that Tom errs on the side of large, usually my brass moulds cast about a thousandth over mould spec, just above the middle of his tolerance spec. Pretty dadgum excellent in my book. This is especially good in .45 caliber. If you order a .30 caliber just order it the size you want it with the alloy you specify because it WON'T be undersized, and you don't want to size too much metal with small boolits.

Gear

Marvin S
04-17-2011, 11:07 AM
I had one made for a gas check 32-40 boolit to fit Winchester rifles. The mold is great and I will do business with Tom again. The boolit is somewhat of a ripoff of the SAECO tapered with a GC shank added and .080 full dia ahead of the crimp groove. When seated and crimped it just kisses the rifling. You need to supply him with the info he needs to make the mold you want.