PDA

View Full Version : Cartridge won't chamber.

Joe SixPack
04-14-2011, 10:50 AM
I am new to reloading cast bullets. I have Cast Performance .430 260grn WFNGC bullets I am trying to load for my Dan Wesson, Ruger Super Blackhawk and Ruger Carbine.
I have the crimp in the crimp groove and have tried COAL of 1.620 and 1.610 but the cartridge does not make it all the way into the cylinder of the Revolvers or into the carbine. They are showing marks on the bullet itself. What am I doing wrong?

Moonie
04-14-2011, 11:04 AM
Have you slugged the throats in your revolvers? My bet is the nose of the boolit is too large to fit into the throats.

WARD O
04-14-2011, 11:19 AM
Ditto to what Moonie said - You have got to watch bullet diameter vs. throat diameter real close with those LBT designs. They are made to fit real close in order to shoot so well...

If that is true, either size them down to fit, or try in another gun.

Ward

Char-Gar
04-14-2011, 11:33 AM
Joe.. The first thing is try and insert a round in the chamber before you crimp the case. Sometimes a crimp that is too heavy will cause problems like you describe. Ditto on trying some trying some sized cases. You may not be sizing your cases enough to chamber in the variety of different weapons.

One you have done that and it everything is OK, then worry about the bullet and throat thingie.

PacMan
04-14-2011, 12:15 PM
What Charger said for sure. Also take about 2 minutes and see if the sized bullets will fit in the throats of the two revolvers.

Joe SixPack
04-14-2011, 05:04 PM
I took and lightly ground out from the edge of the flat spot on the point of the bullet to just ahead of the crimp groove. That fit fine, so it is the shape of the bullet that does not work in my 3 guns, have to try a LFNGC or something from another manufacturer

leadman
04-15-2011, 12:31 AM
If Cast Performance makes a LFNGC try it as the nose should be smaller in diameter, but longer. The Lee 310gr FNGC works real well in my guns. Maybe someone here in swapping and selling can provide some for you.

rond
04-16-2011, 09:09 PM
Trim your cases a little shorter to reduce the length of the round, reduce powder charge a little to keep pressure the same.

subsonic
04-16-2011, 11:17 PM
Trim your cases a little shorter to reduce the length of the round, reduce powder charge a little to keep pressure the same.

+1 and seat to the TOP of the crimp groove.

bhn22
04-17-2011, 08:17 AM
Is your cylinder clean? That can really make a difference when trying to chamber .430 bullets in a .430 (or smaller) throat.

44man
04-17-2011, 08:31 AM
First thing is to get an accurate measurement of the boolit to make sure they are really .430".
It is rare to find a .44 that will not take a .430".
It sounds like a complete bore and throat slugging is needed on each gun to make sure the throats are larger then the bore.
If they are, the boolit just needs sized to fit the throats.
If the throats are smaller then the groove to groove, then they need opened up.