PDA

View Full Version : Stuck case in full lenght size die removal

barrabruce
04-14-2011, 10:18 AM
gday.
We were down the range today cleaning up some cyclone damage.

Any way one of us has a stuck case in a lee full length size die.
He's got a new 308 necked up to 38 cal.
The shell stuck in there and he ended up ripping the rim off in the shell holder .

So she's well and stuck if not before.

The shell holders fine the case stuck in the die minus rim.

The problem seems to be the deprimer expander olive is stuck in the neck section.
He soaked it in lanolin for a few hrs but no joy in help extracting the case.

He said he has ended up bending the pin/threaded bit that adjusts into the die.

the pin sizer thingo apparently one unit. Not the type that has the thread and olive and then the decapper pin that screws onto the end.

So my suggestion of drilling the case and unscrewing it and knocking out the pin and leaving the olive in there to beat out with a punch is no good.

The drill out the back of the case and filing the case down then cracking the case to extract it may work but it seems to me the neck thickness is awfull thick or was way out of adjustment.

Solutions???
Any one got any great ideas!!!!
Methods to try???
All help appreciated.
He hasn't a computer so I asking for him.

Thanks
Bruce

Artful
04-14-2011, 01:50 PM
I'm having trouble getting a mental image - pic's might help -

my standard stuck case removed has a tap, drill bit, and screw and tower - you back off the decapper drill out the primer pocket tap it put the tower (imaging a stack of washers larger than the die with a hole smaller case diameter and then topped with more washers just large enough for the screw) you put the tower over the base of the case and torque the hex screw and one the case starts to move you pull the whole shebang out of the die. So it don't matter about tearing off the rim

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=504741

Longwood
04-14-2011, 02:28 PM
I'm having trouble getting a mental image - pic's might help -

my standard stuck case removed has a tap, drill bit, and screw and tower - you back off the decapper drill out the primer pocket tap it put the tower (imaging a stack of washers larger than the die with a hole smaller case diameter and then topped with more washers just large enough for the screw) you put the tower over the base of the case and torque the hex screw and one the case starts to move you pull the whole shebang out of the die. So it don't matter about tearing off the rim

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=504741
Those things are real easy to make. All you need is a short piece of pipe of large enough diameter to go over the die that any Home Depot etc will cut for you and a couple/three of the way too thin fender washers they sell. If you silver solder or braze the stack it makes it much easier to work with. Then,, all you need is a #7 drill, 1/4' or larger tap and a grade eight bolt.
After drilling and tapping, put the the die back in the press, if you have the room to work, and it works pretty well.
I used a 1/4 inch tap/bolt first in case I stripped it and needed to go larger.

rockrat
04-14-2011, 03:35 PM
I would drill out the primer pocket 5/16" , remove the decapping rod, then tap the hole in the base of the case for a 3/8 bolt. Run a 3/8 x 1/2 bolt in the threaded part, screw the die in your press and take a long flat ended punch and a heavy hammer (22oz is what I use) and just hammer on the punch until the case comes out.

You don't have to hammer real hard.

shooterg
04-14-2011, 04:11 PM
With the Lees you usually just loosen the decapper clamp nut, get a 3/16" punch and hammer and drive the case out. Even if you bugger the decapper, it's like $3 from Lee.

xr650
04-14-2011, 04:30 PM
A guy brought two dies with cases stuck in them to the shop the other day.
An RCBS and a CH.
I backed off the decapping stem as far as I could, to move the decapping pin as far away from the bottom of the case as I could.
Drilled and tapped the bottom of the case 1/4-20 or 1/4-28. Can't remember which.
Used a socket on the bottom of the die that allowed the case to move inside of the socket.
Screwed a bolt with washer through the socket and into the stuck case. This pulled the case loose.
The RCBS stem unscrews out the bottom. I took the case and stem out, slid the olive into the case as far as I could. Split the case mouth in two places with die grinder and wheel. This allowed the neck to expand and let loose of the olive.
The CH die stem came out the top. I screwed the stem down to get the case neck below the neck sizing portion of the die. I used a deep socket and longer bolt. Pulled the case off the olive. This would have worked for the RCBS also, just didn't think of it at the time.

I hope some of this makes sense.

I put the drill bit, tap, couple of bolts and washers in a bag. Told him what I had done so he could do it himself next time.

GRUMPA
04-14-2011, 04:44 PM
xr650 thats the EXACT same method I use. Works great if you got the tools for it, but it sure is a P.I.T.A. though.

1hole
04-14-2011, 04:53 PM
Tell your buddy to lubricate his cases better, especially down near the head, that's where they get stuck.

Czech_too
04-14-2011, 05:43 PM
This method has worked for me on more than one occasion.
http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/shellextractor/index.asp

Why is it that you can go YEARS without this happening and then have more in one year than... Murpy's Law I guess.

Longwood
04-14-2011, 05:50 PM
Tell your buddy to lubricate his cases better, especially down near the head, that's where they get stuck.
Don't ever miss the inside of the neck on bottle necked cases.

barrabruce
04-14-2011, 11:05 PM
Thanks
Well that was easy!!!!
He came out and I tapped the hole for 1/4ww and used the shell holder off me lee whackem die set as a base.
A couple of flat washers to give the correct length and she came out easy enough.

We had to cut the case and use a pin punch to get the de-primer rod out and it is all galled up and bent from his previous attempts.

I hadn't seen the type that uses a compression nut to hold the rod and all in one thingo before.

Never mind ...he said he will use more lube on the base and in the neck also.

He'll ring up and get a new one for it and polish out the sizer die.

Cheers
Thanks for the help one and all ... much appreciated.
A lot easier to do than said.
When I read the replies the light bulb went straight on and wondered how come I couldn't remember to think of that technique. :) :)

Thanks
Bruce
I'm not getting 'ol and suffering from C.R.A.F.T. I tell you !!!