PDA

View Full Version : thomson \ center

04-14-2011, 01:19 AM
hi i recently purchasced a contender( 2 of them ) about 1982 vintage the gun is really hard to open the action (i mean reaalllly hard) i was told by a freind that you could get a kit to solve this. does anyone know of this, or any other fixes for this. a freind has a mid 90s version and it opens easly thanks

stubshaft
04-14-2011, 06:21 AM
There is no "kit" available to change from an early action to an easy open action. The only one that can do that is TC (which is in limbo now since they were bought by S&W). Check the barrel you are using and see if it has a one piece locking lug or a split lug. The early one piece lugs were a bear to open. If it has a split lug then you can contact TC to change to an easy open action or just work on the TC "snap" to get that sucker to open.

buck1
04-15-2011, 08:59 AM
My TCs are the old type as well. the more you shoot it the more you get used to it untill its not a issue.....buck

Dframe
04-15-2011, 01:18 PM
I talked to them earlier this week. The price is $55 for converting your frame to "Easy opening". If you opt for the change the nice lady I talked to said you must include ALL of your barrels. The $55 covers one barrel or fifty.

stubshaft
04-15-2011, 09:27 PM
That is the first time I've heard that the barrels need to be sent in too! Especially considering that they are interchangeable.

buck1
04-15-2011, 11:55 PM
Well the price is sure enugh fair!

LUCKYDAWG13
04-16-2011, 12:06 AM
I would send it back to t/c they have dun right by me in the past
send it ups when i did it it cost me $35. To ship i think

HeavyMetal
04-16-2011, 11:04 AM
If they'll do all the barrels for that 55 send them!

Once converted to "Easy Open" none of the solid locking block barrels will work on the gun they either won't stay closed or you can't get them to open open again I forget which.

What I can tell you is mixing and matching old barrels with the easy open action is a hair pulling experience best left to someone else!

New split locking blocks are 25 apiece so if they'll do more than one for that 55 price send all you have, and then request the old blocks back because they can't be bought any more and some guys prefer the original T/C to the easy open.