PDA

View Full Version : RBH problems

PacMan
04-13-2011, 04:09 PM
Picked up a like new 6 1/2" RBH in .41 mag last week and the last couple of days have been trying to work up some loads using 240gr GC LBT LFN bullets.

Two problems
1. Shoots all good loads 3 " high,rear sight bottomed out.(would shortening the barrel to 5 1/2 help?)Was plaining to do that anyway.
2. The worst of the two is that two of the cylinder chambers consistently shoot about 4" low and 2" left into about a three inch group.The other four chambers shoot the above mentioned high but from 4 shot one hole groups to 4 shot 1" groups (25 yd's).

Have an email out to Clements to see if he has a .41mag cylinder laying around.

I know that there are no garantees that it would be better than the one i have but can only hope. I dont want to pass it off to some one else with these problems.

Any ideals would be appericated.
Thanks
Dwight

Rico1950
04-13-2011, 08:12 PM
Measure your cylinder throats, bet there is a difference in those 2.

PacMan
04-13-2011, 08:46 PM
Rico they seem to be the same.No insturments to measure with only a bullet sized to .4105 and it seem's to fit the same in all throats.
That was my first thoughts also.

white eagle
04-13-2011, 09:11 PM
Dwight
I do believe that with proper measuring instruments
you will find a difference
however it is a perplexing situation at any rate
I am not sure that you would want t crop the barrel
maybe try a different type of boolit and maybe sized a touch different may
hep as well

tek4260
04-13-2011, 10:46 PM
Heavy boolits will require a taller front sight. There are a few ways to add some height.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=114607

drobinson
04-13-2011, 10:52 PM
My 4 1/2 inch Blackhawk came from the factory with a front sight that was too short. I had to send it back to the factory twice for them to put the proper front sight on it. They finaly did and now I have plenty of elevation adjustment.

I know I need to ream the cylinder throats. When I shoot a cylinder through it, I end up with 2 three shot groups on the target. They are pretty close so I am not in too big a hurry to do it. Even the test target I got from the factory after they changed the sight shows two distinct groups at 15 yards.

buck1
04-15-2011, 08:55 AM
I would send it back to ruger first, then do your custom work. but let them get it right first....buck

44man
04-15-2011, 09:20 AM
Leave the barrel alone. If you shorten it you will hit HIGHER!
Get a higher front sight.