PDA

View Full Version : what Lower

Arisaka99
04-13-2011, 02:41 PM
Hey guys, I know we have a few AR fanatics on here, and I am looking to get a lower. What I'm looking for is a relatively cheap one that will last me a while. I would like to get the .450 Bushmaster upper as well as the 5.7x28mm upper. Of course I will have a .223 upper as well. From what I've been told is I can buy the uppers, but my mom has to buy the lowers. How much would building a .450 upper cost in relation to buying one instead?

MtGun44
04-13-2011, 10:47 PM
As a general statement, I have not yet seen a 'bad' lower. Some are a bit more
nicely finished, some do not have the mil spec hard anodizing which is important for longer
term durability since it makes a hard wearing surface (VERY thin) on the soft aluminum
parent material. Some makers are using a teflon coating instead of hard anodizing (which
makes the color) which will probably save some money, but probably not wear as well over
the longer term. Look for smooth machine work on the interior where they may not be expecting
you to be looking and a real military specification hard anodizing (which the great majority DO
have). Beyond that pin sizes is the only other issue that pops to mind, with some Colts using
oddball pin sizes with the idea to prevent swapping out parts that might be M16 capable. Most
lower makers are using standard 0.156" hammer and trigger pin diameters, and standard 0.25"
front and rear receiver joining pins.

Bill

Arisaka99
04-14-2011, 06:39 AM
ok, I understood the anodizing part, but the part about pins, im lost!!! :)

btroj
04-14-2011, 07:39 AM
It is easy to avoid any confusion over the pin sizes, just stay away from Colt.
In my years of shooting high-power competition I never heard anyone say for certain that one lower was better than another. I am sure some here will have other ideas but it is like anything else, some people have strong opinions on everything.

akajun
04-14-2011, 08:16 AM
For the Money, and for quality, its hard to beat an Essential Arms Lower. They were 87 last time I checked. I have assembled 25+ guns with them with no problems, and there is very little play in the fit between upper and lowers.

nicholst55
04-14-2011, 09:04 AM
Here ya go (http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=700|863); $69 from Widener's. There are really only a few companies actually manufacturing lower receivers; they just mark them with the different company's logos. A lower is pretty much a lower, unless you get into the specialty items - the 'bar stock' lowers and such. I'd buy whatever I could get the best deal on.

Arisaka99
04-14-2011, 10:10 AM
I can't assemble a lower myself can I? Im not 18, that is why I was looking for a cheap fully assembled lower. I wanna get the .450 and 5.7 uppers, and of course, I would load for them!!!! Anyone know how they shoot cast?

sqlbullet
04-14-2011, 11:18 AM
The stripped lower is the 'Gun' by ATF rules. Whether you buy a stripped lower and assemble yourself or buy an assembled lower, the actual lower carries the serial number and is the FFL part.

They are dirt simple to assemble. Doing so yourself ensures it has exactly the trigger, grip, buffer tube and stock you want.

Arisaka99
04-14-2011, 12:09 PM
ah, ok, is it hard to assemble an AR? Are there any special tools I would need, or are there any videos that I could get to learn about them?

Idaho Sharpshooter
04-14-2011, 12:49 PM
www.brownells.com has all the parts, and videos on how to build. Spend the $$ to buy their catalog and your choice of videos.

I would look at www.largrizzly.com as well. They make the neatest matched receivers and uppers, and a very good price. The OPS-15 has the option of a side lever charging handle on the bolt.

Rich

zardoz
04-14-2011, 12:56 PM
Arisaka:

I just assembled my first AR-15 lower. I used a Tactical Innovations stripped receiver, which has a couple of interesting features. The rear spring, that is usually held in by the stock, is captured with a small set screw. Also, there is another set screw, that can tension the lower against the upper receiver. Got it local, but not for less than $100.

I wanted a 16" barrel M4 profile with A3 upper.

Anyway, I made use of several youtube videos, of which there are a great many, on the procedure. The toughest part for me, was the spring detent for the front take down pin I believe. I lost the detent twice, and recovered before I finally figured out the best combination of "holding everything just right".

In the end, I must have done it right, because the rifle shoots mighty fine, and has a better trigger feel than my Bushmaster XM15.

Arisaka99
04-14-2011, 01:20 PM
Ok, Is Daniel Defense a good brand? I am looking at their parts kit, and I think I may get their lower receiver too, unless I am persuaded towards another one.

MtGun44
04-14-2011, 06:57 PM
DD is decent stuff. Find a web site with the instructions on assembling the lower. Watch
out when driving in roll pins. Get roll pin punches for best success, although you can do it
with regular punches if you are extremely careful not to let it slip off. Make sure which
end of the trigger guard you put the roll pin into!! Made this error myself, fortunately, I
caught it early enough to extract the roll pin (and ruin it) with vise grips. One end is all
the way thru and the other is blind for the plunger that lets you hinge down the trigger
guard - bet you didn't even know that the trigger guard pivots down. Many don't. I
have assembled a number of them and was just running on autopilot - a BAD idea. Think
through any roll pin installations before you do it. Not good to take them in and out any
more than you need to, the aluminum wears fast and they should normally be one time
only installs.

Legal to assemble, if you can own the "gun" which is the lower. Everything else is just
chunks of funny shaped metal.

Bill

RP
04-14-2011, 07:25 PM
Well by no means do I say I am a expert. That being said I got a Plum Crazy lower from london arms they are plastic and other part will not enter change with them. They do have a good warranty. I paid 125 bucks plus shipping when I got mine. So far I have three and they get used a fair amount. For the price for a complete lower I think they be hard to beat. I was not looking anything but a cheap truck boat play blaster and it fit the bill.

Combat Diver
04-15-2011, 02:28 AM
Arisaka99,

There are three types of lowers. Forged, cast and polymer (Cavalary Arms). Each has its pros and cons. Forged are mil spec and cost a bit more, cast are cheaper and polymer are lightweight plasitcs but Cav Arms is now out of buisness.

As per buying a new one there are two ways to register a new lower thru a FFL. First is a stripped lower the is registered on a ATF form 4473 as "Other". You have to be 21 to go this route. Second means is to buy the same lower but with the stock/trigger group already installed. This is then registered as a "Rifle" on the 4473 and you can at 18 yo. Thrid means is knowing your state laws as some states allow you at younger ages to do Face to Face transfers. I was buying used guns this way legally when I was 16 in Texas. This is one area the anti gunners would like to change as it is referred to as the "Gun Show Loophole".

Couple other black rifle sites at are real good on putting together ARs are AR15.com or M4Carbine.net. I post there under the same log in. I have never bought a complete AR in my life (got issued many however). The three that I've had I built with the components that I wanted. First one was in 1988 and last one in 2008. Good luck and good shooting.

CD

ETA: There is no cure for the BRD (Black Rifle Disease) except getting the Lever Action Disease or other shooting aliment.

Arisaka99
04-15-2011, 02:33 PM
Ok, The reason I would be building one because I dont have the $ to buy one. That would be why I was gonna build one, but from what Ive heard, its about as expensive either way.

Combat Diver
04-16-2011, 02:22 AM
You can build for about $100-200 cheaper and get exactly what you what. You could also just buy a pre built lower assembly and a upper assembly bit cheaper as the manufacture firearm tax is not included. (tax that the manufacture pays the US per complete gun, Robinson/Pittman I believe). There is addition cost for some tools for assembly or you can find someone in your area that will assit you. Not very hard to do. Where are you at? I've got a total of $200 in this one but I bartered and traded for stuff. Its a Stag lower with FCG, rest is all mil spec.
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/M4_build_with_M9.jpeg

CD

Arisaka99
04-16-2011, 09:27 AM
Im in virginia beach, I have talked to trey and Doug bout it, and they said it isn't hard.

45r
04-16-2011, 12:39 PM
I hear the side charge uppers from LAR are pretty good.They're easier to use with a scope.

Arisaka99
04-16-2011, 11:33 PM
yeah but im sure they cost waaaaay more than a regular upper