PDA

View Full Version : Holster Opinions Wanted!

fourarmed
04-13-2011, 12:15 PM
I want a holster to use around the farm, and possible for cold-weather concealed carry, for my 4" K-frame S&W revolvers. Two I am considering are the Bianchi 111 and the Galco CM114. They are a sheath-type and a pancake-type, respectively. I want one that covers the trigger, which both of these do, but I don't want a full flap holster. Any comments on these two brands/types would be welcome, as would suggestions for other brands of the same types.

drobinson
04-13-2011, 01:03 PM
I have had a couple good revolver holsters over the years. There was the Kramer belt scabard for a 4 inch Annaconda, and I currently have a Simply Rugged holster for my 4 inch GP100.

I am currently waiting on two holsters from Ray at Lobo Gunleather that I am very excited about. One is his #5 holster for a 6inch K frame and the other is his Enhanced Avenger (Bruce Nelson design) for my SIG P229. He was great to work with. I explained to him that I have problems with my right shoulder and he suggested the Avenger with neutral cant and as low as possible a ride. If it works well for the SIG, I will be ordering another for the GP100 and possibly the 4 1/2 inch Blackhawk.

Char-Gar
04-13-2011, 01:34 PM
Rob at Simply Rugged makes the holster you are looking for. High quality materials, well made and very reasonable pice.

Firebricker
04-13-2011, 01:38 PM
Check out "simply rugged" on the web they have some nice designs or see if Springfield can make what you want. I carry my .44 in a Galco I think its the Phoenix model. Its very comfortable I've had it about ten years. FB

fourarmed
04-13-2011, 04:48 PM
Thanks guys! I looked at the Simply Rugged website, and ordered one.

Springfield
04-15-2011, 02:27 PM
I sell a half-flap holster that might work for this sort of thing. Or maybe a no flap holster that offers more coverage by setting the gun in deeper.

JudgeBAC
04-15-2011, 03:07 PM
Springfield makes great stuff, I highly recommend his holsters.

Wayne Smith
04-17-2011, 04:23 PM
If you are in the woods you will want at least the half flap or an open toe holster. Junk will fall into it! A full flap prevents this, the half flap will prevent 80-90% of it.

Springfield
04-17-2011, 09:36 PM
Full flaps are available also, with any kind of toe you prefer. Ya don't have to get the flower, that's my wife's holster!

mustanggt
04-18-2011, 12:19 AM
I have 4 Simply Rugged holsters, Chesty Puller rig and other various accesories that will make it possible to use other holsters with the Chesty rig. They are top notch workmanship and customer service as well.

Bret4207
04-18-2011, 07:42 AM
That half flap is what I want! Just gotta come up with some funds...

W.R.Buchanan
04-20-2011, 03:39 PM
I am not an expert on leather holsters. I am pretty fond of my Kydex holsters for my Glocks, but I would never put my Bisley's in a plastic holster. Some things just shouldn't happen..

I have a a SBH Bisley with a 5" bbl, and a BH Bisley with a 45/8"bbl. I want to be able to wear them independently and together.

The big gun will only be worn on my strong side, but I want to be able to wear the small gun strong side or cross draw. I want both holsters to fully cover the trigger guard, and I want the gun burried deep in the holster so it won't fall out if I fall on my head. This way I can avoid the fully covered holster type that would impede a faster draw if needed by requireing a deliberate movement to get the flap out of the way.

I need the flexibility to wear either or both of these on a gun belt or one or the other on my pants belt

I am looking at Mernickle holsters. I have seen several in person and his work is top drawer. He also appears to have all of the bases covered from fully covered to fast draw for all types of guns. Looking at the Field Carry and Conceiled Carry holster options he has he appears to have something like what is being requested above.

http://www.mernickleholsters.com/index.htm

He's pretty big amongst the cowboy crowd and he was recommended to me by Evil ROY at the Shot Show.

Randy

Char-Gar
04-21-2011, 12:29 PM
The original holster Rob (Simply Rugged) made was a pancake type belt holster that swallowed the gun, sights , hammer and all. Mine are made from horsehide. I have three of them. I could not think of a better best holster for the farmer, rancher or outdoorsman. who want to wear a pistol on his belt. It won't hook on brush or limbs and you could fall down a mountain and the pistol would still be with you and protected.

These were designed for the folks in Alaska who carried handguns under some pretty tough conditions and were as the name suggest... "Simply Rugged".

Rob has gone on to add other designs to his product lineup and have moved to Arizona but the quality and value is always there. He is a top notch guy that makes a top notch product. May his tribe increase!!!

PacMan
04-26-2011, 08:06 PM
From experience bad things can happen when pistols are carried in belt holsters that do not have a closed end.
Slip down a muddy creek bank following the hounds and fill barrel with mud. Catch up to the hounds and mr.boar pull weapon and fire.You know the rest of the story.
Did i mention the need for a new pistol.
Dwight

Ilwil
04-27-2011, 01:49 AM
I have over 30 years of carrying, uniformed and concealed. What I would impart is that the single most important item is the belt. Lots of guys will have a quality holster hanging on some glued together thing their wife picked up at the Ross store. Get the best belt you can, double thickness and stitched, as wide as your belt loops will go. Kramer was mentioned earlier; their stuff is pricey, but horsehide is about indestructible, the toughest leather I know of.
The holsters shown above all look to be very high quality.