PDA

View Full Version : S&W 329PD top strap issue

Shuz
12-11-2006, 04:15 PM
Have any of you owners of this gun experienced gas cutting of the top strap shield as I have? I've sent mine back to S&W twice now for this problem. I estimate that I get something less than 1000 rounds thru the gun before the wear becomes noticeable, in fact the first time the shield actually separated thus exposing the top strap. All loads put thru my 329PD have been with cast boolits. Powders used have been Green Dot, NM-04, 2400 and WC820. I guess as long as S&W will continue to repair mine and pay the shipping both ways, I'll not be too concerned. However, I'd like to think they could design a shield that would give better service. Perhaps they believe this gun was designed to be carried a lot and shot a little? At approx. 32 ounces loaded; with 429421HP's, it sure is easy on the hip!--Shuz

Bass Ackward
12-11-2006, 07:40 PM
Perhaps they believe this gun was designed to be carried a lot and shot a little? At approx. 32 ounces loaded; with 429421HP's, it sure is easy on the hip!--Shuz

Shults,

That is EXACTLY their thought process behind the gun.

I have @ 1700 rounds through mine now and besides being a little dirty, it looks OK. I will keep an eye on it now that you mentioned it. My gun is extremely tight. No end play in the cylinder at all and the BC gap is only .002. (Came from the factory like that.)

Most of my stuff for this gun is held to 20,000 psi for this gun and I shoot PB exclusively. GCs and copper will increase the cutting effect on the top strap according to ol'Elmer.

Steve Collins
12-11-2006, 11:11 PM
You'll see top strap cutting on almost any magnum revolver after a time. It usually goes only so far then stops. I wouldn't worry about shooting magnum loads through it, but if it concerns you, shoot specials only.

Shuz
12-12-2006, 11:19 AM
Steve, I've noticed minor top strap cutting on my other guns as you say, however, with this gun S&W knew that they'd have a problem, so they put a shield in the top strap to protect it. What I've experienced is that the gas cutting does not stop after it destroys the shield, but continues on into the top strap. The first time it was so bad, Smith replaced my frame with one of the same serial number! This time I sent it back for "shield" replacement before it was "eaten thru".

Bass, you raised a good point, I'll measure my cylinder gap. Glad you're having such good luck with yours.

Shuz
12-13-2006, 04:01 PM
Bass--I checked the BC gap on my 329PD and it is .008! Maybe therein lies the problem?--Shuz