PDA

View Full Version : EBAY Binoculars

carpetman
12-11-2006, 03:26 PM
I recently bought a pair of binoculars off EBAY. They were listed as 8x30's. Received them and they were 6x30's. The 6 can look like an 8 but it's a 6. Not only that the center focus is froze solid. So I contacted seller and she said she would refund or make discount. I called a repair shop and the estimate was $65 to fix the center focus problem. I relayed this info to the seller--made no counter offer nor did she make a discount offer. She said she would refund purchase price upon receipt of the item. Wait a minute--she made the missrepresentation,probably not intentional,still her mistake and I am the one that pays(postage both directions)? Wait until she receives it? When I buy they dont send until they have cash. Now I'm to send when I dont have cash--aren't I now the seller since she has my money? I explained this to her and she informed me she is honest. Ok,don't tell me you are honest---show me. She also informed me her return policy was listed and stated as such. Well and good if this was a return because I was dissatisfied. This is a return because of missrepresentation. Things have stopped so I have contacted EBAY. If they let her get by with charging me postage both ways I doubt that I'll buy off EBAY again. Want to buy a Rolex---well maybe it's a Timex but you have to pay to find out.

felix
12-11-2006, 04:07 PM
Ray, you are dealing with typical Poker rules. Best bet is to Poke her. ... felix

MT Gianni
12-11-2006, 07:03 PM
E-bay favors the seller and has no reason to change. Gianni.

Stray Round
12-11-2006, 07:48 PM
If you used your credit card to pay her directly or through Paypal you might get more satisfaction challenging the charge with the credit card company.

At least the card companies seem to be sympathetic to the buyer. I found out the hard way that the card companies provide some pretty good protections on purchases......AFTER I paid a crooked "mechanic" with a check.

carpetman
12-11-2006, 09:10 PM
Stray Round I did pay through Pay Pal,maybe I should check with them. She did make offer today that she will refund purchase price and the shipping cost to me upon receipt of them back. That was better than original offer. I still think that originally they werent shipped until she gets money,so I should not ship until I have my money.

Scrounger
12-11-2006, 09:32 PM
Stray Round I did pay through Pay Pal,maybe I should check with them. She did make offer today that she will refund purchase price and the shipping cost to me upon receipt of them back. That was better than original offer. I still think that originally they werent shipped until she gets money,so I should not ship until I have my money.

Do you want your money back or to win a point?

Buckshot
12-11-2006, 10:32 PM
.............Crap Ray, That's a one in a million deal having the seller agree to pony up the return shipping too. Go for it or be happy with the broken 6x30's. I DO COMPLETELY understand your point. Seller's don't normally deliver the goods till their paid. She is STILL the vendor since you have chosen to not accept the item and refuse possesion. She will return your merchandise (da moola) when she gets her item back.

It's exactly what Scrounger said, "Do you want your money back or to win a point?"

Also, she did have her shipping, return and other bases covered (apparently) there at the auction. You're just dealing with some person who sold something they knew nothing about. What kind of feedback score did she have?

There is a huge machine tool parts seller on E-Bay I do NOT do business with for 2 reasons. Their shipping charges are high plus they charge a flat handling fee. But secondly and most important to me it says right there that they will NOT refund shipping charges for ANY reason. I asked them once what about if they shipped the wrong item? They said if I shipped it back they would reship the correct item without further expense to me.

Huh?

Wait a minute, you mean you screw up and I pay to ship it back, my dime and all and you won't pony up to cover your own screw up? They said nope. It's right there in the auction. Well they can esfoad for all I care.

................Buckshot

carpetman
12-16-2006, 12:22 PM
After 5 days EBAy gave me a rubber stamp reply. I think it would be easier to get the case to the Supreme Court than anything out of EBAY. Lot of reading research etc involved vs them handling the deal. As it stands the binoculars have been sent back,seller agreed to pay postage one way. I told her the proper refund would include my return postage. Have not heard from her since I told her that. The ball is in her court. She gives full refund or for the $8 she ripped me off she will get some VERY BAD feedback. I will slam her. Problem is I think I only get 80 characters for feedback and certainly more needed to give full story. I'll edit heavy to make all 80 count. All this and probably no impact on her sales.

Scrounger
12-16-2006, 12:51 PM
After 5 days EBAy gave me a rubber stamp reply. I think it would be easier to get the case to the Supreme Court than anything out of EBAY. Lot of reading research etc involved vs them handling the deal. As it stands the binoculars have been sent back,seller agreed to pay postage one way. I told her the proper refund would include my return postage. Have not heard from her since I told her that. The ball is in her court. She gives full refund or for the $8 she ripped me off she will get some VERY BAD feedback. I will slam her. Problem is I think I only get 80 characters for feedback and certainly more needed to give full story. I'll edit heavy to make all 80 count. All this and probably no impact on her sales.

Find out if she has a cat or a sheep you can get satisfaction from...

mooman76
12-16-2006, 03:23 PM
I'd try to get the money from the credicard company and giver her a bad review. They hate that!

zuke
12-16-2006, 09:27 PM
post some info so none of us are next

Halfbreed
12-18-2006, 01:44 AM
My wife use to buy quite a bit off e-bay, she bought what she thought was a nice collector table cloth. It had cigarette burns in it, it was supposed to be in perfect condition. She tried to settle it out with the seller, no luck. And was not able to leave a bad report on her either. We no longer do any business with e-bay period.
Before that I bought a real nice pair of Russian 20x80 military binocs. Straight from Russia, with tri-pod and hard case. I can read the serial number from electric transformers at 1/2 mile or more.
Halfbreed a.k.a. John

fatnhappy
12-18-2006, 08:58 PM

post a link to this thread.

Ivantherussian03
12-19-2006, 12:02 AM
Any more I just look on Ebay; it is not worth the trouble. lately, for me, the sellers dont read or respond to email questions. When i had a paypal account it was constantly being compromised, defrauded, and repeated hacked. I just gave up on all that.

Stick with business', and using your credit card. Much safer, and more recourse to use the credit card.
[smilie=1:

NVcurmudgeon
12-19-2006, 02:43 PM
Why would anyone patronize the anti-gun enemy?

Scrounger
12-19-2006, 03:46 PM
Why would anyone patronize the anti-gun enemy?

You refuse Medicare, Social Security, most Doctors and hospitals, and all big corporations that own supermarkets, gas stations, drugstores, and all the other stuff that modern society entails??? We are a minority and getting more minor every year. These places, and EBAY, are so huge they won't even know you're boycotting them.

carpetman
12-19-2006, 03:58 PM
NVCurmudgeon--Why would anyone patronize the anti gun enemy? My gas station,grocery store,clothing store,post office,hospital,dentist yada yada yada do not sell guns. Are they anti gun? Don't know. Is EBAY'S reason to not sell guns because they are anti gun? Don't know,but don't think so. Why? They sell all kinds of gun related items--scopes,reloading equipment etc etc etc. What is their reason for not selling guns? Again don't know,but suspect they would open a can of worms they don't wont to deal with for whatever reason. Perhaps same reason the gas station,grocery store etc mentioned above chose not to sell guns. I don't know if they would need special license,subject themselves to litigation etc if they handled guns and chose not to do so? At any rate if I were to boycott all the places that don't sell guns I could not make this post as my electric utility company does not sell them,I'd be cold too as my natural gas company does not sell them,my computer store doesnt either---wait yes they do---bought my computer at Wal Mart and they sell guns. Does your utility company sell guns? If not why are you patronizing the anti-gun enemy?

MT Gianni
12-19-2006, 04:05 PM
I am under the impression E-bay owns Auction Arms.

Scrounger
12-19-2006, 06:05 PM
As CarpetMan so aptly pointed out, how does Ebay's and PayPal's rules mean they are antigun? They allow the sale of everything else gun related, just not the serial numbered receiver. I've always perceived that as a lawyer induced idea, like 10 pound triggers and warning stickers on everything. They simply don't want the involvement in a wrongful death lawsuit. If I were them, I'd also probably ban the sale of ammunition. I see many positive reasons for doing business with them. More bullet molds, for instance, are sold on Ebay (and possibly paid for with PayPal) than any ten of us will see in our lifetime. You MIGHT find that rare out of production mold in an old gunshop going out of business or at a gunshow, but your odds are a hundred times better on Ebay. I guess I'm not a real gun nut because I don't have the full dose of paranoia, I even watch movies Jane Fonda is in sometimes. I try to remember how small and unimportant I am, in a country of 300 million people, and how little effect on things I really have. We probably don't have too many hypocrits here, but I'll always remember years ago one of the ladies I worked with whose husband was a high official in a union, had me buy ammo and fishing equiptment for him at Target stores because the union was boycotting them and he couldn't be seen going in. Funny how lofty ideas take a tumble when YOUR money is involved.

carpetman
12-19-2006, 08:11 PM
The seller received the binoculars and credited my pay pal account--less return shipping. She did admit they were 6x30 not 8x30 she listed. She was very sorry for the mistake. I sent her email that don't tell me you are sorry---show me by crediting my account the $8.10 shipping. No response. So I left her some negative feedback. Dont know how to post a link. She sells as Maxnmarita her email is marita@thelegacyantiques.com
My feedback said: Missrepresented. Honest mistake? Handled like a crook. Stuck me with return$. Ban her. you can look it up on the feedback forum and if someone knows how post link.

Scrounger
12-19-2006, 08:37 PM
Well you posted her email address for anyone that wants to write her... I sent you an email trying to explain how to post a link, but here's another way you can go: Go to the page on which you posted her feedback. It won't be the same page you entered it on. You will have to find that or another listing she has for auction. Click on the place to see her feedback. Then go to "FILE" in the top left- hand corner of your screen and left click. On the drop down box which will open, find "SEND" and left click on it. In the next box choose "SEND LINK" and left click on that. Your Email form will automatically open and the link will be attached. All you need do now is enter the email address of the person to whom you wish to send it. Takes a lot less time than this explanation. You have my email, send me the link and I will post it for you.

Jon K
12-19-2006, 10:59 PM
http://myworld.ebay.com/maxnmarita/

That's her. My question is, you want to buy binoculars and you go to a person who sells antiques, pottery, ceramics and glassware? I figure she wouldn't know the difference between 6x and magnifying glass. Granted she should research and list details and picture what she is selling, but Buyer Beware when you buy Optics from a seller of old dishes. Like going to a swap meet (crooked))vendor.

Jon

carpetman
12-19-2006, 11:07 PM
Jon K---I want binoculars and I go to an antique dealer? I was buying a used product. When I buy used do you think I expect an expert? The deal was I bought 8x30 binoculars. Had they been that,I was happy. I doubt that many of the garage sale folks--I buy from them too,are experts on the item. Many times the fact they aren't is why I get it at the price I do. If you could would you post a link to the feedback I left? Thanks.

Scrounger
12-20-2006, 01:04 AM
Jon K---I want binoculars and I go to an antique dealer? I was buying a used product. When I buy used do you think I expect an expert? The deal was I bought 8x30 binoculars. Had they been that,I was happy. I doubt that many of the garage sale folks--I buy from them too,are experts on the item. Many times the fact they aren't is why I get it at the price I do. If you could would you post a link to the feedback I left? Thanks.

Ray, he did post a link; http://myworld.ebay.com/maxnmarita/

Jon K
12-20-2006, 01:16 AM
That is the feedback on her, with your negative feedback, the first one listed. Unfortunately, as she gets more feedback, yours will move farther down the chronological list, and with age, you'll be lucky to find it.

It is unfortunate and I sympathize with you, she did not know what she was selling and did not communicate well, but she did state her return and refund policy. Hard to arbitrate that.

I buy and sell my fair share there and I state everything up front, do my research, and post clear detailed pictures of what I sell. I have a policy, I don't sell junk or anything I wouldn't buy myself. By the same token if it is not described well, and I can't see good pictures, I won't bid. Buyer Beware.

I would suggest, if you want some decent binoculars for cheap, watch Planet Optics, Graf & son, Midwway, Midsouth and others for sales and inventory reduction. I bought a pair of BSA 10X50 binoculars to use for Cowboy Lever Silhoutte, since only binoculars allowed- no spotting scopes. Graf- price $25.00 + $3.95 shipping, and after I bought it I bought another pair, just to keep in the other car. I don't know what you paid for ebay binoculars, but I thought these were cheap, and it has a "Limited Lifetime Guarantee".

Jon

carpetman
12-20-2006, 02:09 AM
JonK---Hard to arbitrate her return policy. Her return policy would be applicable in the case of dissatisfaction. This was not dissatisfaction,it was missrepresentation---fraud. For example if I listed a watch as a Rolex---you buy it and it was Timex should you have to pay anything? The mistake was honest as long as she handles it honestly. You cant waive liability. If i put a sign on my car "not responsible in case of accident" does that take me off the hook if I drive into your car? If it did,nobody would have liability insurance--just a sign. So her stated return policy means nothing--she is responsible to correctly list things and did not. Go read her rebuttal. It is a lie---she did not return the postage. I footed the return which is stated in my feedback. As far cheap binoculars---I want good optics and the Rochester NY Bausch & Lomb are very good and the best bargain around.

Jon K
12-20-2006, 04:11 AM
Carpetman,

You wrote her a negative feedback, you got your moneyback. You say you want good optics, well good optics don't come cheap, so overall $8.10 is nothing. Besides the negative feedback is going to cost her more than $8.10 times over. Look at it as lesson learned and move on.

As far as good glass goes, I have had Nikon & Leupold Binoculars, and I prefer a good spotting scope with ED glass. You get what you pay for.

Jon

carpetman
12-20-2006, 02:01 PM
JonK What is ED glass? I appreciate the tips on places for cheap binoculars,but let me explain. In the 60's when I went to Alaska I bought a pair of cheapo binocs. No abuse that I am aware of but by the time I got to Alaska they were double image(junk). A neighbor there had a pair of B&L binoculars that he had paid a pricey sum for back in the 40's. At first price seemed way to high,but what did I have to show for the cheapo's I had bought? So after a year or so I ordered a pair of 7x35's.. After almost 40 years they are as good as ever---which is better than any others I have looked through---regardless of price. I have had many show me their pricey ones and instantly I could tell they didn't measure up to the USA made B&L's. Based on this,I have bought several pairs of them off EBAY. I gave my grandson a pair,my nephew a pair and a son in law a pair. I have a pair of 7x50's I keep in my pickup. I keep the 7x35's in my hunting bag during season,along with a pair of 6x30's in case someone doesnt have their own. As amazing as I am,would you believe that I can only use one pair at a time? So this pair that is subject of thread,I only bought because they were to be 8x and I dont have any 8x American made.( I bought a pair of VINTAGE B&L's--but they turned out to be Japanese made and just arent as good).. I guess like Case and Winchester collectors---what does need have to do with anything?

Jon K
12-20-2006, 03:48 PM
Carpetman,

I can undestand your feelings on a product that has served you well and faithfully.

• ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass for outstanding sharpness and contrast
ED has extra-low dispersion glass elements which practically eliminate chromatic aberration. While chromatic aberration (a blurred fringing of colors upon the edge of a subject) may not be too distracting visually, in digiscoping it matters much more. This is because you can isolate such a small view of the scope by zooming the digital camera's lens, and when doing so you put a premium upon good optics.

Some optics, are now calling their ED optics, Florite, what ever the maker calls it, the sharpness an contrast are evident. For my camera lenses there is no comparison. When I first took a photography class in 1970, the instructor kept emphasizing "there is no substitute for good ground glass". As far as I am concerned, that still holds true. I have some aspherical element lenses(aka-plastic) and they look good when new, but with age, even with new improved multi coatings, they seem to lose the sharp crisp image they had when new.
Yes, they are pricey, but for those that need and demand the detailed quality, whether ametuer or professional status, there is no substitute.

In today's market, some of the world's highest quality optics comes from Japan. Even some of the top European lens makers are going to the Pacific rim to manufacture. It is not where it is made that determines the quality, but the specs and quaity control process by which the optics are made. Makers like Ziess and Nikon have a reputation of quality to keep up and back their products. Labor intensive, yes and that's probably why there are no plants in the US making optics.

Just my $.02 on the topic of optics, opinions are only opinions and that's mine.

Have Fun Shooting,
Jon

carpetman
12-20-2006, 07:37 PM
JonK---my $.02 on photography you left out the best. Pentax. Yes I know it's Japanese.

Jon K
12-20-2006, 11:08 PM
Carpetman,

Pentax, I agree is good, and they are very underrated. I am although using Nikon 35mm & digital(got lots of inventory) & Contax for Med format(pricey but love the Zeiss glass). Canon also tops.

Pentax builds some nice binoculars, in the moderate to pricey range. Lots of 8x.
My dad has one, very durable & tough, as I recall 8x32.

Jon

drinks
12-21-2006, 12:29 AM
There are a number of coatings for lenses, fluorite, a mineral , is used a lot, but any number of rare earths and more common materials are used, as well.
Sportsman's Guide has some very good buys on binoculars and scopes, Cheaper than dirt does too.
My personal experience is in favor of Bushnell, which also makes Bausch and Lomb, when price and quality must compromise. I have a $25 pair of 7x35 quick focus Bushnell which I have used for 30 years, due to inflation, they might cost $59-79, now.
If you are interested in real quality binoculars and scopes, get a subscription to Bird Watchers Digest and look at the ads there.
BWD also has posted reviews of optics, you can believe what you read there, no one is more pickey about optics than bird watchers!

carpetman
12-21-2006, 06:36 PM
Well the binoculars that were subject of this thread are back on EBAY. Item 300062366034 read the description. I explained to her that the focus wheel was froze and the focus adjustment on the right lens was not smooth. She calls it a magnification adjustment---guess she thinks they are zoom binoculars. She did say her husband did fix the two items I mentioned that were not working.