PDA

View Full Version : Test for zinc

olafhardt
04-13-2011, 01:48 AM
I haven't tried this but I know zinc reacts vigorously with hydrochloric acid releasing hydrogen gas, lead does not, iron and steel do. But they stick to a magnet. So use the magnet, chunk the iron and steel, scrape the nonmagnetics with a file, add a drop of acid. If it fizzes its zinc. Hydrochloric acid is also sold as"muratic"acid for swimming pools and concrete(I think) atWallyworld, Lowes, Ace et c. Sulfuric acid gives problems.

gray wolf
04-13-2011, 06:09 AM
I don't worry about the FE. it will float and I don't think it can hurt anything.
Side cutters work for me. Once you find a Zn weight save it for a sample.
You just can't cut them like a none ZN weight. Try scratching one also, then do a normal one.
There is a big, big, difference and it's hard to make a mistake.

HammerMTB
04-13-2011, 09:02 AM
I was sorting some time ago and dropped one on the concrete floor. The difference in the sound is pretty distinct. Since I have found that most Zn weights are marked Zn. But if you are not sure, just drop it. If it goes thud, that's Pb. If it goes "ting" that's Zn.

selmerfan
04-13-2011, 09:08 AM
I'm still trying to figure out if you guys that sort COWWs are doing hundreds of pounds at a time. I'd go insane checking each weight with a sidecutter when I have 5 or 6 buckets of WWs. I just start the burner and pot, put in half a pot, stirring regularly until they get mushy, then turn down the heat until it turns beautiful silver and the trash, including zinc weights, floats to the top. Then I continue adding a couple handfuls of weights at a time to the melt, stirring, fluxing, and skimming until I have a full pot. Then I pour ingots until I have a couple inches of alloy left, then start adding and stirring again. The temp never goes over 700 degrees, the zinc doesn't have a chance to melt in my pot. I do separate stickies, but that's easily done when grabbing handfuls of weights.

gray wolf
04-13-2011, 12:22 PM
I'm still trying to figure out if you guys that sort COWWs are doing hundreds of pounds at a time. I'd go insane checking each weight with a sidecutter when I have 5 or 6 buckets of WWs. I just start the burner and pot, put in half a pot, stirring regularly until they get mushy, then turn down the heat until it turns beautiful silver and the trash, including zinc weights, floats to the top. Then I continue adding a couple handfuls of weights at a time to the melt, stirring, fluxing, and skimming until I have a full pot. Then I pour ingots until I have a couple inches of alloy left, then start adding and stirring again. The temp never goes over 700 degrees, the zinc doesn't have a chance to melt in my pot. I do separate stickies, but that's easily done when grabbing handfuls of weights.
selmerfan is offline Report Post Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

The above quote is a very good way to melt the WW and I use it myself.
But for an unsure beginner he/she may want to check them first and then work up to the way mentioned above. May I say you can also use a thermometer if you are unsure.
Just keep the melt below 700* I melted a bunch yesterday, they got slushy at about 550*
and were nice and fluid at 600* Pure takes a little more heat but if it's all pure then no ZN is present.