PDA

View Full Version : molly coating

EWOK
12-11-2006, 03:18 PM
Does anyone use molly coating as a lube???

garandsrus
12-11-2006, 08:00 PM
EWOK,

I have some commercially cast .38 special Wad Cutters that use a "dry lube" that I think is molly. Boy is it a mess to work with! I wouldn't buy them again...

I don't have problems with leading though.

John

jhalcott
12-11-2006, 09:10 PM
I tried it once with a carnuba coating on top of the moly. It seemed a LOT of trouble so I did not continue doing it!

Explorer1
12-11-2006, 10:51 PM
I shoot some benchrest competition and have shot my share, am quiting. Lots of extra mess and the benefits are debatable. Was a hot thing for a shot while, not as popular as it once was.
I do think some of the new dry lubes have benefits but are not something one can do at home, at least yet.

rockrat
12-11-2006, 11:05 PM
I use a moly lube on my cast bullets, but not as a primary lube. It helps when I run them through the sizer and (to me) keeps leading down . The moly lube is in liquid form, I just put some boolits in a metal peanut can and spoon a tablespoon of the stuff in, close the lid quick (the carrier is potent) roll around a bit and dump on a flat sieve (used for sorting out rock sample grain sizes) and let dry outside for a day or so (did I say the carrier is bad for you). A pint can lasts a loooonnngg time. Don't think you can get it anymore, but I have a good supply of it.

grouch
12-12-2006, 01:29 AM
No, but I've used Canadian Tire Moly Grease for 15 years or so. It works better than most things for me in smokeless rifle loads.

Springfield
12-13-2006, 01:00 AM
I Moly coat all of my wifes smokeless bullets for cowboy shooting. I use the powder and tumble them in a dedicated tmbler. They have worked great for 4 years now, easy to do. I have some of the Moly spray but never used it on bullets, just gun parts.

leftiye
12-22-2006, 06:31 PM
Rockrat..... What brand is that, and where does one get it?