PDA

View Full Version : Scored some solder today

Fredx10sen
04-13-2011, 12:18 AM
Finally stopped at the radiator shop across from where I buy gas and asked about their scrap solder drippings. The guy asked what I use it for and asked if I wanted some. I told him and said sure. He asked if I had a container and I said I would find something. He brought out a metal bucket and said here ya go for free. I offered him $20 bucks anyway and he said that it was dirty and that was too much. I insisted he take at least $10 bucks and he did reluctantly. I thanked him and will return his bucket tomorrow. He did say though to go ahead and keep the bucket as he had another one. He was really nice guy and I hope it becomes a good source. It was half a bucket of solder drippings with some nuts and bolts mixed in. Looked very promising. [smilie=w:

Jailer
04-13-2011, 12:34 AM
Nice score. I've got a guy local that I scored a bucket from for $20. It netted 22lbs of 50/50 solder. Unfortunately the radiator repair business is on the downward slide. Yet another service that is disappearing due to "disposable" products.

Fredx10sen
05-18-2011, 10:56 PM
Finally smelted down the solder this week and ended up with approx. 32 lbs. Looks really good. I also got around to making another melting pot out of some 1/4" x 6" steel pipe. Recessed the bottom 1-1/4" to make a wind barrier and put on a handle that was made from some 5/16" steel rod. I might have made it a little too tall and I might have get a better heat source other than the propane two burner stove that I salvaged. the stove top has worked well for many years. The next pot I build will only be 6-1/2" tall instead of 9"as it seemed that when I poured the last of the melt into the muffin tins it started to solidify as it got closer to the top. Bigger heat source will fix that. The pot turned out well though and will be a nice addition to the equipment mix. :cbpour: