PDA

View Full Version : gemmer sharps

bigted
04-12-2011, 11:19 PM
i am looking into the gemmer style sharps. ive seen some pictures but nobody has had direct experience with one that ive heard from on the other forum. has anybody had experience with a gremmer sharps and if so...what are the downfalls and pitfalls to be avoided with them...also what is good and to be added on one to have built.

i have contacted shiloh about building one for me but i want//need some other input as for rifle concerns/likes.

also would like as many photos as possible to 'pick n choose' modifications i like.

also having enough 45-70's im going to look at maybe a 40 cal and maybe the 40-90 straight which is a 3.250 inch case. id like some feedback on this cartridge as well as the 45-110 for a gemmer hunting rifle built on a 74 shiloh frame.

this is going to be a long term project as im sure the price is going to be unlike anything ive done before so... plenty of time but... just as well get started gleaning info now.

thanks
Ted

waksupi
04-13-2011, 12:56 AM
I've seen several over the years, no big deal as a project. I wouldn't imagine they would be that much more expensive. I do like the idea of a wiping rod on the rifle.

hickstick_10
04-13-2011, 01:00 AM
any reason for going with the sharps as opposed to the pacific Ballard?

NickSS
04-13-2011, 05:22 AM
I have seen and shot one awhile back that belonged to a buddy of mine. His was built by Shiloh. It is basically built to look like a Hawken ML rifle with a crescent butt plat and wedges to hold on the fore arm with a wook cleaning rod affixed under the barrel. The rifle looked really cool but when I fired it the crescent butt plate gouged me pretty hard in the shoulder. Firing it off hand and holding it like a hawken rifle with the crescent butt held on my arm in lieu of the shoulder worked well. I personally would not get it in a hard kicking cartridge.

montana_charlie
04-13-2011, 10:30 AM
I don't see the point, myself.
Sure, anything that is well-built can be pretty (or handsome), but where is the magic in having a breechloader that looks like a muzzleloader ... or making a 'legendary Sharps' that takes on the personna of the 'legendary Hawken'.

It seems as unnecessary (to me) as carving up a Colt 1911 to make it look like Luger.

CM

Don McDowell
04-13-2011, 10:56 AM
They are rather nice looking.
There's also a good bit of historical accuracy to them as Sam Hawken moved his shop from St. Louis to Denver in the 1860's and Gimmer took over from there..
Ted if you're checkbook is up to it, check out the one C Sharps has listed on Guns America.

Bullshop
04-13-2011, 12:33 PM
I like the Gemmer! From a hunters point of view the wiping rod makes sense. If you look at any authentic renditions of 'The Hunt" you see that the hunter is carrying in some way a wiping stick. With the Gemmer the stick is always present and there is no added inconvenience. A patch box is not a bad idea either.

Yellowhouse
04-13-2011, 06:06 PM
If you can find pics of some authentic Gemmer rifles then you'll have a good idea of where to go with the project. Think Hawken mostly. Curly maple is preferred, no brass furniture, and no german silver key inlays. Iron mounted!!

04-13-2011, 11:08 PM
bigted,
Man! you're on a roll :) I certainly don't know, but to stay with history, you might do some research to see what the Gemmer's were known to be chambered in. My inclination would be to stay somewhere in the .44, .45 and .50 cal category. That range seems the easiest to live with for the dark side rounds. For me at least, I've found it harder and harder to get consistent accuracy with BP as the bore size decreases.... and that even translates over to the muzzleloaders.

SharpsShooter
04-19-2011, 10:24 AM
Ted,

Slow down. Sharps are nice, but in 38-55 this is ..............ah..........mas bonita
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_8154dad9af3753f4.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=553)

SS

bigted
04-19-2011, 12:24 PM
Ted,

Slow down. Sharps are nice, but in 38-55 this is ..............ah..........mas bonita
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_8154dad9af3753f4.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=553)

SS

slow down? how exactly is a guy suppose to do this. a little history lesson is in order i recon.

i have always been a support system for a family and this for a very long time. as the sole breadwinner in a 5 person family [that i started at 16]...[no not complaining either]... it fell to me to make sure the kids were fed and so on as well as keeping a wife happy. now all that [with the exception of my darlin wife] is done and my putting aside my desires and want-to-do's is OVER!!:lol:...:lol:...:lol:

the days of needing three sets of shoes every six mounths and so on have finally gone away so now its my turn to be the kid in a candy store. so if i get a small bit over the top then who is there to rein me in. this is my time to have fun and i choose the blackpowder guns and loading and casting to make me smile rather then drinking and having a midlife crisis. instead i finally have the means from time to time so i buy another pet to shine and have fun with....so see its MY TURN
NOW.......slow down...never!

by the way sir 'sharp shooter' that is a snazzy rifle...may i inquire as to what make n model it is?...lol now i get humble:kidding:...:coffeecom

yes i get too many irons in the fire and time to time i have to back up and smell the coffee but whewww...it aint even purk-a-latin yet.

you fellas are the tops in my book and if it sounded like i was put off by something...im not...i can take a lil ribbin time to time....just hope you can too.8-)

SharpsShooter
04-19-2011, 07:54 PM
LOL all I meant was to slow down and sniff the flowers Ted. The rifle pictured is a Springfield trapdoor that has been gemmerized

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_8154dae20886645e.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=554)

SS

bigted
04-21-2011, 05:49 AM
guess ill be slowing down my jets afterall concerning a gemmer sharps...at least from shiloh anyway. Kurt replyed to my inquiry about such and the price tag quoted me was 45oo dollors. i guess there must be more to the modification then meets the eye. at any rate ill continue to drool and slobber but 4500....naaaa not this kid!!! could buy two regular sharps from them for this and three of the "others". or just continue with what i have and spend that money on lead n powder n fixins.

by the by the 'gun broker' thing went pretty well. im a proud poppa of a browning hiwall [jap] bpcr 45-70 with all the stuff goes along with such a rifle. im more in love with the hiwalls anyway i think. those browning sights look pretty fair without shooting them...will find out tho.

Idaho Sharpshooter
04-25-2011, 06:10 PM
bigted,

That is a lot of $$$. I have an original Trapdoor Springfield carbine. If you are interested I would sell it, and you could build a Gemmer Springfield for less than half that.
I also know this gunsmith who could do the work pretty reasonable.

Rich

PM me if you are.