PDA

View Full Version : Maintenace Question

heavycrimp
12-11-2006, 01:16 PM
I have recently come into possesion of a Lyman 2-cavity 22 cal. mold (I don't have the number with me). The blocks are in pretty good shape, but the cavities have a very light coating of rust. Does anyone have a good method of cleaning the cavities without ruining them? I have a Reminton 700 BDL Varminter that I would really like to try cast bullets in.

Thanks

BABore
12-11-2006, 04:50 PM
Try a bronze bore brush chucked up in a drill motor. You can add some bore cleaner along with that with the understanding that you will have to do some thorough cleaning/degreasing afterwards.

kywoodwrkr
12-11-2006, 05:39 PM
I use a wood dowel from some model airplane kits with a little steel wool and WD-40 in a cordless drill to polish and clean little cavities. Home Depot and etc have dowels I think as well.
If you put a small cut in the end and put a few strands of the wool through the slit it helps pick up the other wool wrapping about it.
I've also used the felt polishing bobs on the dremel tool with various compunds as polishing vehicles as well.
FWIW
DaveP kywoodwrkr

heavycrimp
12-11-2006, 09:39 PM
Thanks guys. I think I'll try BAbore's method 1st since I have the material on hand. I've been casting for a few years, but have basically just read up on my own until I found this site. The Lyman manual doesn't cover all the bases that get brought up here. Thanks again for the quick responses. I just didn't want to ruin the mold before I got started.

Hunter
12-14-2006, 01:06 AM
You can use 000 bronze wool and CLP to remove rust as well then a bronze brush to finish it out.

versifier
12-14-2006, 01:45 AM
Electrolysis or diluted naval jelly are also good rust removers that won't scratch the cavities.

Phil
12-14-2006, 02:29 AM
Just don't use a bore brush with a steel core! Before I did anything else, I'd cast some bullets with the mold. If the results are good, don't do anything to it. You'd be surprised, sometimes a light coat of rust will make a so-so mold into a winner. Just be very cautious about over cleaning, you can ruin a mold very quickly.

Cheers,

Phil

Treeman
01-10-2007, 04:10 AM
AS Phil said-Try it. I bought a used Lyman 358429 that came with bullets in the cavities. Popped it open and sure enough it was rusty.............and I took it out and started casting with it. The silly thing fills better and drops cleaner than any other mold I own. The first bullets from the prewarmed mold were usable but I threw the first 6-8 back in the remelt pile. -After the first few there weren't any more loose rust specks appearing on the bullets.

Bret4207
01-10-2007, 06:27 PM
Go ahead nd try it. I had a mould that cast better after it got a little rusty (I tried the "leave the last boolet in the mould to prevent rust" idea, no workee for me), a 311316. Same with a 4 cav 429421 that was rusty when I got it.

Brownells sells a blueing remover that works real well for removing rust.

Nardoo
01-11-2007, 03:49 AM
I use auto brake fluid as a great rust remover on old blued firearm parts. Soak the rusted-up piece for a couple of hours then rub the rust off with a rag. Does not hurt the bluing. Never tried it on mould blocks but should be OK.
Hope this helps.

Nardoo

Mr Peabody
01-13-2007, 12:25 AM
Nardoo- that sounds like a good idea. I've seen brake fluid penetrate before and cussed it. That's a better way to use it.