PDA

View Full Version : Gas check maker press requirements.

1Shirt
04-12-2011, 05:06 PM
Am thinking of getting one or more of Pat Marlins check maker. I do not have an o-type press, and am wondering is an old CH C press would be adequate for the tool? Response by anyone who has tried Pats tools in a C would be appreciated. If an o-type is required, will bite the blt and buy one, however, if the c will work, so much the better.

Thanks in advance to all that respond.
1Shirt!:coffee:

PatMarlin
04-13-2011, 08:05 AM
There are a few guys using C&H presses with complete ram modifications. I'm not familiar with the press myself, but the work involved did not sound simple.

Any press will make gas checks with Checkmaker™ dies. Automatically ejecting the gas check from the female die once formed needs a slotted ram press. Our ejector arms work with most presses using two (2) different styles. Our LEE style is one, and RCBS style is another. (see operation instructions on how the ejector arm works).

The LEE Reloader and Challenger (with slots in the ram) will work with my LEE style ejector arm, but not without a modification.

Proven performers are: Various RCBS Rockchuckers, LEE Classic Cast Turret and Classic Cast Single. Lyman Orange Crusher. Many shooters have made up their own ejector for their model press. See the operation instructions below showing how the 2 styles of ram ejector arms work.

Instructions:

Here is a PDF download link for full operating instructions with pictures:
http://www.patmarlins.com/CheckMakerDiesInstructions.pdf

Hope this sheds some light and helps.

PatMarlin
04-13-2011, 08:07 AM
You also may want to post the question over in the gas check section 1Shirt, and I'm sure you'll get some good responses... :drinks:

.30/30 Guy
04-13-2011, 08:13 AM
My experience has been that the important consideration is how much ram travel you have. The important thing is to cut the disc at the top of the stroke. If you you have minimum thread engagement with the cutting die and you are cutting mid stroke you will find the discs are hard to cut with the thicker materials.

PatMarlin
04-13-2011, 08:54 AM
The cat's meow is the LEE Classic Cast Single.

The most headroom and ram travel with adjustable handle. Built solid as a tank. A joy to use and own.

taminsong
04-13-2011, 11:28 AM
+1 on the Lee Classic press.

.30/30 Guy
04-13-2011, 05:04 PM
I believe that the RockChucker has the big bushing in the top. Screw the bushing out part way and you have a lot of adjustment.

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-13-2011, 09:27 PM
Hey! That's a good Idea!

Thanx!

Cadillo
04-14-2011, 05:12 PM
There are a few guys using C&H presses with complete ram modifications. I'm not familiar with the press myself, but the work involved did not sound simple.

Any press will make gas checks with Checkmaker™ dies. Automatically ejecting the gas check from the female die once formed needs a slotted ram press. Our ejector arms work with most presses using two (2) different styles. Our LEE style is one, and RCBS style is another. (see operation instructions on how the ejector arm works).

The LEE Reloader and Challenger (with slots in the ram) will work with my LEE style ejector arm, but not without a modification.

Proven performers are: Various RCBS Rockchuckers, LEE Classic Cast Turret and Classic Cast Single. Lyman Orange Crusher. Many shooters have made up their own ejector for their model press. See the operation instructions below showing how the 2 styles of ram ejector arms work.

Instructions:

Here is a PDF download link for full operating instructions with pictures:
http://www.patmarlins.com/CheckMaker...structions.pdf

Hope this sheds some light and helps.

That link won't work.

PatMarlin
04-18-2011, 11:42 AM
Here it is:

http://www.patmarlins.com/CheckMakerDiesInstructions.pdf

1Shirt
05-03-2011, 09:11 AM
Thanks Pat and to all the others who responded. Guess I will have to break down and buy a lee and order a 30 cal from Pat. It is nice to see that there is still the capacity for a small business guy to produce a quality product and be able to market it without govt interferance.
1Shirt!:coffeecom