PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy

Ivantherussian03
12-11-2006, 12:48 PM
ok, So I have been a mmber on the board for 2 years or so, and regularly posting and reading for a year.

I have some rifles: 2 k31's, K98 Mauser, a remington model 721. I have shot the later the most, then the K98. My groups are consistently around an inch and 1/2, but occasionally as tight as a U.S. quarter.

I have not really played with the loads, rather I made the loads and sighted in. I dont cast my bullets. If I did move the powder charges up and down grain by grain could I expect to find the sweet load, if everything else stayed the same and consistently shoot much tighter groups? :Fire:

45 2.1
12-11-2006, 12:59 PM
Cast your own boolits (out of the correct alloy and with a good lube) from a mold that fits your rifle and the answer is probably yes.

RayinNH
12-11-2006, 08:11 PM
Ivan, I've found regardless of powder or boolit if I just fire one shot, that's when I get my best group. Jeez you're not satisfied by being able to cover them with a quarter. I only wish I could...Ray

carpetman
12-11-2006, 08:59 PM
Ivan--If you can't do better than that you need a new keyboard.

Scrounger
12-11-2006, 09:02 PM
StarMetal could have done it better...

Bass Ackward
12-11-2006, 09:40 PM
If I did move the powder charges up and down grain by grain could I expect to find the sweet load, if everything else stayed the same and consistently shoot much tighter groups? :Fire:

Ivan,

Sure. But then you might have to play with primer too. That starts the powder process selection and charge process all over again. Then if you play with the hardness of your mix .... you have to start the powder routine all over again. How about if you decide to play around with diameter? Yep, you gotta start the powder routine all over again. Here is the good news .... if you just play around with changing the seating depth of your bullet, .... you guessed it, you still have to start the powder routine all over again.

Are you catching on to the pattern here? Change a variable, any variable, and you have to play around with powder charge and maybe different powders all over again.

Eventually you will arrive at a combo that just blows everything else away. Just as soon as you do and you are totally happy and satisfied .... someone sends you a new lube to try out and you got to go back at the top and start all of this stuff all over again.

Isn't this great!!!!!!!!!

RayinNH
12-11-2006, 10:14 PM
And just when you iron out a great load you find your almost out of that lot number of powder or primer :groner:...Ray

Ivantherussian03
12-11-2006, 10:44 PM
Yeah, well; it is only occasionally that I have a quarter size group. Very occasionally. Ussually, it is an inch and 1/2 group.

mag_01
12-12-2006, 09:21 PM
Ivan----very your loads up and down to see if they improve---Then try another powder---Its amazing when you find the right combination how all the boolits try to get into the same hole----From what you said you are stuck with buying boolits so use what you have----If you have a bad fit boolit wise you can use a filler like PSB (percision shot buffer) used in shotgun shells--or my favorite pure ground walnut shells or corncob.---If you use a filler reduce your charge and work up slowly---FILLERS INCREASE PRESSURE-------Be careful----Mag

piwo
12-12-2006, 11:54 PM
IvantheRussian03,
No Three Line Rifle's?? :-D