PDA

View Full Version : Core depth in jacket?

SWANEEDB
04-12-2011, 01:08 PM
How far down should seated core be from the lip of the jacket, is there a rule of thumb for soft point 'vs' hollow point? Am gearing up to do some bullet swaging, need some feedback from the 'pros'.

BT Sniper
04-12-2011, 01:21 PM
Which bullet/jacket combination?

For the 44s in the HP seemed to be about .10 lower then top of jacket. All a bit of an experiment and I think you can get away with a bit deeper too as any extra length in the jacket may get compressed just a bit.

SWANEEDB
04-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Which bullet/jacket combination?

For the 44s in the HP seemed to be about .10 lower then top of jacket. All a bit of an experiment and I think you can get away with a bit deeper too as any extra length in the jacket may get compressed just a bit.

9's to 40's to get started with, will do the annealing first, have the ejector rims cut off already, am looking at a 160 to 165gr finnished bullet, will do an update as things go along. Thanks for the reply BT.

a.squibload
04-18-2011, 03:47 AM
I've been using a .357 expander to slightly bell the 9mm cases and seat the core.
Just pressing the core down enough to dent the base, ends up about .1" deep at the case mouth.
Seems to work...