PDA

View Full Version : Uberti Rolling Block

lbaize3
04-12-2011, 01:02 PM
Uberti is offering a new Hunter Rolling Block in 30-30, 38-55 and 45-70. Retail is $799 and it appears to be a fun offering for the cast boolit shooter.

Check it out: http://www.uberti.com/firearms/1871_rolling_block_hunter_carbine.php

I have one ordered in 30-30. I am not set up for 38-55 and already have three single shot 45-70 rifles. I have a young ton of 30-30 hulls and 150 grain cast Lee boolits. I also have a mess of 30-30 loads with those j-word projectiles and factory loads. I figure that the 30-30 will give me lots of plinking fun. If I can get deep enough back up in these piney woods I might even try my hand at head shooting squirrels like my Grandpaw used to do.

I promise to put an evaluation of the rifle and my loads on this thread when my rifle comes in.

doubs43
04-12-2011, 01:15 PM
Neat! That should be a REALLY fun rifle to shoot in the two lesser calibers but I'd think it's a bit light for 45-70. Then again, loaded down, the 45-70 may be fun too. My personal preference would be the 38-55.

Now, if Uberti hung a 30 inch heavy or medium heavy barrel on that action and chambered it in 38-55, 40-65 and 45-70, they'd have a winner IMO.

I hope to see your evaluation and impressions soon.

Shooter
04-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Cool! A 30-30 would be fun. I wonder if it is drilled for tang sights.

doubs43
04-12-2011, 06:55 PM
Cool! A 30-30 would be fun. I wonder if it is drilled for tang sights.

If it's like my Uberti Hi-Wall, it uses a longer tang screw plus a forward mount screw for which a D&T'd hole has been provided. I like the Pedersoli arrangement better in that their tang has 3 D&T'd holes making the mounting of a tang sight easier.

Buckshot
04-21-2011, 03:35 AM
..............After my experience with a Uberti Hi-Wall in 38-55, I wouldn't buy a new Uberti on a bet. I'd buy a USED one if I could shoot it or see it shoot, but new? No way. No problem at all with fit or finish as it is a beautifull rifle.

http://www.fototime.com/CC40EDB1606957B/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/0E7319B56DC9E99/standard.jpg

Cimarron was johnny on the spot in standing behind it, but I had to stand the freight to ship it to 2 seperate places, and it was out of my hands for 8 months. Pedersoli offers the Hi-Wall now and uses the Uberti action (re-worked), but they're not idiots as they put Pedersoli barrels on them. Being pretty upset I did a lot of research on various boards and forums.

I bought mine on the strength of how well a friend's Uberti Hi-Wal shot. Come to find out that thread was consistent wherever Uberti's were discussed. Some were fine in all respects. Others had various faults with the worst being VERY inconsistent barrels both in overall quality, and dimensions. Basically it seemed the consensus was that Uberti couldn't produce 2 good barrels in a row if their lives depended on it.

I hope your experience is totally positive, and I'm hoping things have changed so far as their barrels go. As I told Cimarron, it sure doesn't do the manufacturer any good, nor does it do the importer's reputation anything worthwhile.

.................Buckshot

doubs43
04-21-2011, 01:25 PM
I have a new Uberti High Wall chambered in 45-70. It has a 34" barrel, pistol-grip stock and I've added a globe front sight with a post & ball insert plus a Pedersoli #431 long range Creedmoor rear sight. It's OK - but not great - with a 300 grain Saeco plain base boolit. With a Lyman 405 grain plain base boolit it shoots nice tight groups at 100 yards, the only distance I've tried so far. My only complaint is the trigger; it could be better.

Having said that, several friends also have the Uberti High Walls and they weren't so lucky. What did they do to improve accuracy? In each case they had the muzzle re-crowned and voila; the rifles began shooting as they should have from the factory.

I can't, of course, say that is the cure for every poor shooting Uberti High Wall but it's helped three or four of my friends so it may be worth checking at least.

Suo Gan
05-24-2013, 11:23 AM
I found this and wanted to hear your take on the rifle after a couple years of ownership.

6.5 mike
05-24-2013, 04:32 PM
Just shot my Uberti hi-wall Krag today, got lucky with this one as it has always been a good shooter. A 30-30 should be fun, mild to wild & lots of molds to work with.