PDA

View Full Version : New guy needs advice

Space Cadet
04-12-2011, 12:37 PM
Hi guys,

I am a new guy who knows nothing about reloading, but I am putting together a list of reloading equipment and supplies to import into a 3rd world country. I will be using Lee reloading equipment (Lee Classic Cast Turret Press) and accessories. And I will be reloading ONLY for pistols - 380 ACP, 38 Special, 9mm, and 38 Super.

Question: How long do Lee Carbide Pistol Dies last? Should a have a spare set in each caliber just in case?

Thanks

firebrick43
04-12-2011, 12:49 PM
If you don't drop them, forever. They are brittle so the are not tolerant of abuse but carbide dies should never wear out.

azrednek
04-12-2011, 01:05 PM
I've been reloading since the early 70's. The only time I ever wore out a die was from reloading steel cases.

Wayne Smith
04-12-2011, 01:58 PM
What you need spairs of are the decaping pins. Since Lee calims they can't break this might be difficult.

Sensai
04-12-2011, 02:33 PM
You will wear out more of the press parts than the dies. I'd get at least two spares of all of the plastic, excuse me .. composite, press parts. Lee has a good parts breakdown beside the part number listing of the press, on their website. The one that I wear out the most is the little square indexing grommet, but I do a LOT of reloading.

koyote
04-12-2011, 03:14 PM
I'd suggest more plates, extra set of whatever priming tools you use, extra parts of everything except the press frame.

A Lee universal military decapper (one stop answer to a broken decap pin)

Die sets are cheap enough I'd consider getting an entire spare set of dies for each caliber, but the universal decapper should do.

I'd suggest a set of the lee shell holders (for presses) as spares. They will also let you use many of the more common other brand die sets you might turn up in some souk or flea market. (It happens)

If you are doing on press priming, I'd also suggest an entire, unopened box, save for when you need it, autoprime XR.

The other way to go with this is to get the minimum press spare parts, turret plates, military decapper, and get the lee loader in each available caliber as a backup.