PDA

View Full Version : Ingot molds

MSG
04-12-2011, 12:09 PM
I know these questions get asked all the time but here is another one. Is this ingot mold http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Aluminum-Mini-Loaf-Pan/dp/B0000VMI3Q/ref=pd_sim_k_2 a good one to use? It's aluminum and looks like to me that it should work good as long as it can take the heat. What do you all think? It's a six cavity for less than the price of the 4 cavity Lyman. Is it true that you can't use the non stick coated steel pans? If so why?

Swede44mag
04-12-2011, 12:27 PM
1. As for the aluminum pan listed on amazon if the sides have enough bevel to release it might work fine. Another thing to check out is what is the actual size of the ingot will it fit into your melting pot.

2. Is it true that you can't use the non stick coated steel pans? If so why?
I tried the nonstick muffin pans last weekend the ingots would not release I had to cut the pan into pieces so I could get to the lead then cut and tear the metal off the lead.

Good luck

MSG
04-12-2011, 01:16 PM
So it sounds like the "non-stick" refers only to cupcake batter and not lead:)

Calehedron
04-12-2011, 01:58 PM
I found that cheap aluminum muffin tins from Wal-Mart are the best. I put mine in the oven during a clean cycle and it oxidized them real well and nothing sticks to them. They cool real fast and drop at almost exactly 2lbs each.

midnight
04-12-2011, 02:38 PM
I won't use "dropout" in my bullet molds but since I wasted a few bucks on a can a few years ago I use it on my ingot molds. Ingots just fall out. The first muffin tin I used was steel and non-coated, the cheapest I could find. I pounded it so hard on the concrete the crimped in cups came out of the tin. I finally melted the lead out of the cups. Since I sprayed "dropout" in the cups, no more problem.

Bob

Swede44mag
04-12-2011, 03:03 PM
The muffin tins I found at Walmart were not aluminum. I have been looking for a non coated aluminum muffin tin I used them in the past with no problem. I had to cut all of the cups out of the coated pan's and will stick them into the ProMelt to get the lead out.

Le Loup Solitaire
04-12-2011, 09:07 PM
Those made for casting ingots won't melt or stick. If they are tapered then all you do is turn them over and the ingots fall out. If the unit has a handle it makes it easier otherwise a pair of pliers does the trick. If you are browsing around Walmart in the kitchen section, look for condiment cups; they are sold in a set of 4 for all of $.97. and they are made of heavy gauge stainless and are well tapered. You'll need a pliers to turn them over to dump the lead. For all of less than $5. you can have 20 ingot makers and have a wonderful time smelting without anything sticking or hammering to make the ingots fall out of the cups. They weigh a pound or two, fit in any pot and stack well. LLS

Doby45
04-12-2011, 10:19 PM
If you are browsing around Walmart in the kitchen section, look for condiment cups; they are sold in a set of 4 for all of $.97. and they are made of heavy gauge stainless and are well tapered.

Like these..

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b327/Doby45/1afe5bb5.jpg

Swede44mag
04-12-2011, 11:12 PM
I bought some in a 12 pack at Sams last weekend for less than $5.00 they work great.
I plan on getting some more this weekend didn't know WalMart sold them also.
Thanks

Doby45 is that a Cast Boolit mold? I would like to get one of those also.

Doby45
04-12-2011, 11:27 PM
It sure is, wish I would have gotten at least 2 of them now. :(

Longwood
04-12-2011, 11:42 PM
1. As for the aluminum pan listed on amazon if the sides have enough bevel to release it might work fine. Another thing to check out is what is the actual size of the ingot will it fit into your melting pot.

2. Is it true that you can't use the non stick coated steel pans? If so why?
I tried the nonstick muffin pans last weekend the ingots would not release I had to cut the pan into pieces so I could get to the lead then cut and tear the metal off the lead.

Good luck
Those pans have a plastic coating that needs to be burned off. After burning, spray them with a mold release or some graphite grease in alcohol and the cast will pop right out.

beladran
04-18-2011, 09:12 AM
i got two 10lb ingot molds from Magma engineering. They work perfect for me. = )
http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq149/beladran/Mobile%20Uploads/A0-69.jpg

gray wolf
04-18-2011, 01:20 PM
I got a 24 hole mini muffin pan from wacko world, about 6$$, it is fairly heavy.
it had a non stick coating on it. The lead dropped out--no problem, but had many , as in the whole surface, tiny air bubbles. I burned the coating off and all is fine now.

Ole
04-18-2011, 01:30 PM
I've been known to use ***MAKE SURE THEY ARE 100% DRY pop cans for large ingots.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh280/Ole1830/Bullet%20making/IMG_5442.jpg

They hold right around 8-9# depending on how full you get them. Chop off the top with a can opener. That way you can look inside to make sure you get all the liquid out.

bumpo628
04-18-2011, 11:04 PM
I've been known to use ***MAKE SURE THEY ARE 100% DRY pop cans for large ingots.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh280/Ole1830/Bullet%20making/IMG_5442.jpg

They hold right around 8-9# depending on how full you get them. Chop off the top with a can opener. That way you can look inside to make sure you get all the liquid out.

If you hold the top edge of the can to the grinder all the way around, the top part of the can will just fall off. That will give you a perfect cylinder. You can also turn a can into a nice drinking cup if you knock the edge off.

D Crockett
04-19-2011, 11:52 AM
MSG you have a pm D Crockett