PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a new (to me) carry peestol today

HammerMTB
04-11-2011, 11:34 PM
I got a near new S&W Sigma .40VE today. Got it for the right price, and hope it will shoot my cast 175 Lees well enough.
Got to fix that trigger, tho.... It is kinda mean.
It's a nice lookin' little rig, and I may polish the slide just to make it a Bar-B-Que gun.
Anyone else got one of these they feed lead pills?

HammerMTB
04-13-2011, 09:14 AM
No Sigma shooters here?
I took this one apart and removed the springs often mentioned on the 'net as giving too strong a trigger pull. That pretty much fixed the heavy pull, now it's more like a Glock, 5-6 lbs. Gonna make a good pocket pistol.

Thin Man
04-13-2011, 10:41 AM
The weight of the trigger pull on the Sigma family is regulated by the striker spring. To get a lighter weight trigger pull, you have to replace the striker spring. This is an easy replacement and reduced weight striker springs are available from Wolff gunsprings. BUT, they mention that the lighter striker springs they offer can lead to "failure to fire" situations in the Sigmas. Wolff recommends these only for target work and not for carry or personal protection usage. Even with the lighter striker spring installed, the Sigmas still have their original long trigger pull with excessive trigger travel after the striker releases. Good luck in dealing with your Sigma.

Thin Man

HammerMTB
04-14-2011, 07:52 PM
The weight of the trigger pull on the Sigma family is regulated by the striker spring. To get a lighter weight trigger pull, you have to replace the striker spring.

Actually, this is only partly true. I reduced the trigger pull significantly by removing the "pigtail" spring and the outer of the twin return springs. The trigger is now acceptable. Not crystal clean and light, but OK for a striker-fired pistol.

This is an easy replacement and reduced weight striker springs are available from Wolff gunsprings. BUT, they mention that the lighter striker springs they offer can lead to "failure to fire" situations in the Sigmas. Wolff recommends these only for target work and not for carry or personal protection usage. Even with the lighter striker spring installed, the Sigmas still have their original long trigger pull with excessive trigger travel after the striker releases. Good luck in dealing with your Sigma.

Thin Man

While I haven't measured the LOP on the Sigma, it doesn't seem any different than my Glocks or a DA revolver. Overtravel is pretty easily dealt with, so if it seems to get in the way, I will, but in a defensive pistol, I doubt it is worth chasing.