PDA

View Full Version : Sort of a Swedish mauser

copperlake
04-11-2011, 11:34 PM
My fantasy gun project that ended up with a Swedish flavor. Being restless and unemployed, I decided to work on some of my gun fantasies. I built an aluminum stock with a side mounted Tasco 24X target scope and recoil reduction device that I've been working on. The idea being that I cold drop any of my small ring mausers (and the numerous SR parts I have) in it and wring them out for accuracy. Out of the pile of parts, emerged a Swedish mauser, CG 1917, with a '96 barrel in excellent condition. Barrel totally free floating, as in, nothing was within 1/2" of touching it. Did not print worth a damn. I'm mean, terrible. Tuned it a little with bedding the action and trigger work that dropped the groups to the smallest - 2 3/4" at 50 yards. Just awful! Put a home made barrel sleeve on and the same load (140 gr Hornaday's, 37 gr IMR 4350) dropped to 11/16" - seven shots, two groups of three at 3/8". Apparently, a long '96 barrel does not like a free float. So much for dropping the rest of my darlin's in, at least the long barrels. I'll try the one '94 and the five '38's I have and see what happens. Wondering what a guy could do to make it work. Pressure (bedding) points?

Wayne Smith
04-12-2011, 09:09 AM
Research Mauser's original bedding design. They knew what they were doing and why it worked.