PDA

View Full Version : all your fault !!! THANKS

bigted
04-11-2011, 11:12 PM
i guess thanks are due here so here it is...THANKS !!!

got feeling that i was in a rut with all the bp loading and experiments lately so decided that id dig out my "other" rifles that i used to have so much fun with...namely an older AR-15 [early colt sp model] and my newer aquisition...a remington R-10. now i began to dig up the powder n stuff for the loading of some rounds for them when it dawned on me that i was still thinking about the bp loads that i have yet to shoot and the next steps for the continueing experiments i still have to do...[read i WANT to do]. along there somewhere i fondly looked at my sp-1 and hung it back up and next gazed at my R-10 remington 308 win. and wondered how much i could turn it for to purchase yet another "buff" gun...wowww where did that come from???....then i sacraligiously gazed at the bolt guns hanging there and did a fast calculation of funds that they all would bring and thought ...there is my shiloh....lol...man this has me by the boo-boo.

im not happy shooting a handgun unless it bellows a huge cloud of smoke anymore either. the "other handguns just linger around hoping for the smallest amount of attention but just when they get the fondeling they deserve i start delving into the possibilitys of pouring blackpowder into their cartridges and smoking them up as well.

now the guns that hang in the honered place in my rack are in top order and desending down the rack is this;

1- ped sharps longrange quigley look-a-like 45-70 w/34 inch barrel
2- winchester '85' hiwall hunter 45-70 w/28 inch barrel
3- still open spot for the browning '85' heavy barrel hiwall in 38-55 w/30 inch GM barrel
4- ruger #1 falling block 45-70 w/20 inch barrel

my bench is cluttered with all blackpowder paraphenalia with a drop tube, dies, powder meassure, lee plastic dippers, 'large' shell blocks, gg boolits in containers, container of felt wads, ,,, ahh too much to list but all fun stuff and needed for this latest addiction of mine.

here is where you all had a part with all this....early on when i asked my first question you coulda said...probably isnt for you...but nooooo no such luck...now im armpit involved in what will probably take all my attention for the rest of my days and involve myself in deeper and deeper till not a sane brain cell can be located.

heck i already look with distain on those good folks that shoot those 'factory' guns and amo...heartless of me i know but i also have a very real revulsion to ANY fake powder of any kind for my needs. might be ok for others but not this cat...sorry!!!

so all in all im very content with shoving shells into very slow loading guns that i know will just barely break the sound barrier...and will need cleaning every so often to keep hitting the mark where i aim...and will un-doubtedly be heavy to 'pack' in the field...but im not in a foot race with anybody anyway...heck i even stopped smoking and use this as my crutch for keeping from smoking myself...i just let the guns do my smoking for me now.

:Fire: so i just wanted to jot down how much i apreciate you fella's for the support and encouragment in my spiral into a cloud of bp smoke and sparks...:roll:...:drinks:...:mrgreen:...a better group of newfound friends i couldnt have asked for. thankyou from the bottom of my powder fouled heart.:)

Bad Ass Wallace
04-12-2011, 06:27 AM
Yep! I was casting boolits when factory jackets were under $5 per packet, shootin jack rabbits and wild hogs with smoke sticks when C&H was $4 per tin, 40 years later, I haven't bought a factory boolit for 20 years nor smokeless powder for just as long :holysheep

Patman
04-12-2011, 11:05 PM
That sounds like my situation.... I fired a smokless rifle only once last year. LOTs of black and cast though. So I guess sooner or later I can look foward to selling off my inventory of smokeless weapons to supply my black powder addiction. I also have come to dislike any thing with muzzlebrakes or picatinny rails and synthetic stocks. For me there is just more satisfaction with old style rifles, open sights and the lovely smell of black powder as it drifts back into my face in a light desert wind. Anyway, I have all but give up shooting my other stuff, and anybody that knows me very well can not understand that at all.

Chicken Thief
04-13-2011, 05:50 PM
Why not take the #1 Sharps in 45-120 for shere UMPH ?
Long (long) range Moose killer?
The rest will do you for "normal" range moose and down, killing.

But i must agree: BP is for life, smokeless is for nessesities ;-)

Smoke on bro'

bigted
04-13-2011, 07:24 PM
yep i thought so...non of you raskels are repentant for carefully guiding me down this crusty and smoke filled path. in response i also try my darndest to 'hook' others into this fire n brimstone theology.

now im trying to decide whether i "need" that shiloh sharps in the 'gemmer style. well you know the answer as do i...[smilie=s:...only a matter of time huh?

SharpsShooter
04-13-2011, 07:57 PM
Eventually you will cull the herd of rifles down to BPCR's. I am nearly there myself. I've had an AR lower and internals for a year now but money always seems to go to BP consuming rifles.

Not counting 22's all that's left is a Krag and an 03 Springfield that shoot white powder. I'm almost ready to order a C.P.A. Stevens, but hate to wait 8 months for it as that means not shooting it until spring of 12.

SS

Crash_Corrigan
04-13-2011, 09:14 PM
I guess I should not preach to the Choir. However I did buy a Winchester Model 1885 BPCR in 50-90 Sharps a few years ago. In spite of all the others in the safe this is one I shoot the most. It is such a thrill to fire off a round at a target at 500 yds and hear the big booming report, see the big clouds of white smoke and then 3 seconds later hear the loud CLANG of the big 695 boolit hitting the steel.

Since then I have bought two big bore revolvers. A Ruger Bisley BH in .44 Special with a 5.5 inch tube and 40 year old Smith Model 57 in .41 Magnum..

I have been loading them with Swiss 1 1/2 BP and having a ball with them...they always attract a crowd on the firing line and they always please me. The sound of the firing of a black powder stoked cartridge is so different than that of a smokeless powder powered boolit that they usually get the attention of everyone on the line.

However this is not the case in an indoor range without adequate ventilation. There is one range that does not have an adequate system to vent out smoke and I only fired off one cylinder of my .44 Special when I realized that this was unhealthy for everyone and I left the range quickly before the smoke cleared.

My next BPCR rifle will be in 38-55 calibre as I truly enjoy the lighter recoil and weight of the rifle.

missionary5155
04-14-2011, 05:45 AM
Good morning
Yea the 38īs with 2F is a fine day at the range.

oldfart1956
04-14-2011, 08:37 AM
Ayup...right there with ya BigTed. I'd shot nothing but muzzleloaders for the past 15/20 years and was perfectly happy. Then got to readin' about these fellers shooting Trapdoors and how much fun they was having. Arrrghhh....! I dug around in the gunroom and found one I'd bought years & years ago. I should know better!! Rooted around down in the garage and found that rusty ole Lyman Spartan press and cleaned it up. Found a set of dies under the riding mower. Don't know where they came from. Then I just hadda have a h.b. .495 mold.....and make pan lube....then scrounge up 200lbs. of lead.....then a cronograph...yeah..just have to have a crony....something else to blow to bits. And I really really needed a tumbler. Never needed that for my muzzleloaders! And a "primer-putter-in-doohicky." Then of course had to take up half the computor room with a new loading bench. GAAHHH! Now looking for cabinets to hang above the bench for all my.....stuff...that I didn't need with my muzzleloaders. And of course hadda take the trapdoor to the gunsmith to have the trigger made....better. (??) And I really should get a better bottom pour pot....the Lee only works part-time and that big mold empties out a 10lb. cast iron pot on the kitchen stove puddy fast. And I dropped the hot mold on my new kitchen lineoleum.....that left a mark. And I see I need an "M" die. And a drop tube. And Swiss Powder... even though I buy Goex 3fg. in 25lb. cases. And I need a case trimmer now. And a primer pocket cleaner doo-hickey. And wads...don't know why I need wads but I do. And a crockpot to melt lube....and little pans to pour lube over boolits for pan lubeing. And a 500gr. mold to cast boolits so heavy they beat me to death...but are more accurate at 600yds.!! I can't actually see 600yds. but...you know....I should still have one! So yeah....thanks guys. I'm going broke with this new hobby. Audie...the Oldfart.

Springfield
04-14-2011, 02:16 PM
BP rules...even in autoloaders!

Bad Ass Wallace
04-15-2011, 06:03 AM
I guess I should not preach to the Choir.
My next BPCR rifle will be in 38-55 calibre as I truly enjoy the lighter recoil and weight of the rifle.
I'm of the same thinking, after nearly 10 years of 50/90 recoil, I bought one of the Pedersoli 38/55 with a 1:12" twist in preperation for retirement. Coupled to a Paul Jones 374gn boolit, I have been shooting some unbelievable scores on gong shoots. Hoping to start on some rams soon.

Hogpost
04-15-2011, 04:07 PM
Addicted to the boom & flash also, even though it kept me restricted to outdoor ranges for years regardless of the weather. But all is not lost: I found the Project 2000 indoor range (PK2000?) just outside of San Diego, and they have 5 or 6 lanes for blackpowder in the handgun/short-range rifle section. Must have extra blowers in that area because it keeps the smoke from drifting all over. Makes the boom sound a little bit louder, but one thing doesn't change: the yuppie with the 9mil in the next lane will still aways holler,"What the hell was that???":bigsmyl2:

EOD3
04-15-2011, 04:51 PM
yep i thought so...non of you raskels are repentant for carefully guiding me down this crusty and smoke filled path. in response i also try my darndest to 'hook' others into this fire n brimstone theology.

now im trying to decide whether i "need" that shiloh sharps in the 'gemmer style. well you know the answer as do i...[smilie=s:...only a matter of time huh?

OK, I hear your cry for help...

There are NO BUFFALO in Alaska! :mrgreen:

Lots of other BIG critters though. :!:

BruceB
04-15-2011, 05:35 PM
OK,

There are NO BUFFALO in Alaska! :mrgreen:

Well, actually there ARE "buffalo in Alaska".

There is a rather substantial herd in the Big Delta area, and they've been hunted there for many years.

Bullshop
04-15-2011, 07:05 PM
BruceB is right on the mark. My home is right in the middle of the winter ground. We see wild free ranging buffalo often in winter. We had some in our garden this winter.

EOD3
04-18-2011, 12:36 AM
Well, actually there ARE "buffalo in Alaska".

There is a rather substantial herd in the Big Delta area, and they've been hunted there for many years.

BruceB is right on the mark. My home is right in the middle of the winter ground. We see wild free ranging buffalo often in winter. We had some in our garden this winter.

OK, for the record, you guys are about as helpful as a turd in a punch-bowl. I try to throw the guy a bone and help him with his obsession with "buffalo guns" and you guys are offering him another round... :groner: :bigsmyl2:

bigted
04-18-2011, 04:38 AM
oh i been to bullshops house and it is rite in the middle for sure. i apreciate the "help" tho...this sickness is not something to get over i think...nor am i trying too hard either..lol.

thanks to bullshop and his wonderfull 'homey' outfit...he "helped" me further down this sickening new to me shooting style. if i hadnt said so before bullshop....thanks brother and god bless you n yours! hope winter was easy on you as it was for me.